Axe II Looper functionality

octatonic

Experienced
Can someone in the know please outline the new looper capabilities.

This is really the crucial factor for me on whether to update or not.

Does the new one do 1/2 speed and reverse?

No 1/2 speed. It is the same as the Ultra but has 60 seconds of loop time now. BTW the current Ultra and the II both already have Reverse.

No 1/2 speed. It is the same as the Ultra but has 60 seconds of loop time now. BTW the current Ultra and the II both already have Reverse.

Thanks for the info- the issue is my hardware looper does 1/2 speed and reverse and i need both of those functions to drop it and use the Axe's looper
Without them both I need to keep dragging along the Echoplex- I am recreating loops I've done live that cannot be recreated any other way.

60 seconds of loop time is cool, but until it does 1/2 speed I need to keep the Echoplex.

No problem, but it would be very helpful to have in the future.

Thanks for the info- the issue is my hardware looper does 1/2 speed and reverse and i need both of those functions to drop it and use the Axe's looper
Without them both I need to keep dragging along the Echoplex- I am recreating loops I've done live that cannot be recreated any other way.

60 seconds of loop time is cool, but until it does 1/2 speed I need to keep the Echoplex.

No problem, but it would be very helpful to have in the future.

The Axe FX will never replace your Echoplex unless you only use it for the most basic of functions.

The Axe FX will never replace your Echoplex unless you only use it for the most basic of functions.

I use 1/2 time and reverse 90% of the time.

I wasn't planning on selling the Echoplex- there are loads of functions that I use creatively in the studio, particularly the various insert modes, granular synthesis stuff specifically.
But for gigs it would be good to just take the Ultra and I can get by for most things.
Was thinking about putting the looper functions under 'reveal'.

Not yet it seems.

I've only really started properly messing with the looper in the Axe II in the last few days. I have the MFC reveal buttons set up, and all is well, but how do I set up the record button to record, but NOT instantly play back the loop? (I'm sure I had done it before in my Ultra days but can't remember). Also I didn't even realise the Axe II could do 60 seconds, I had still been doing short loops thinking I was on the same time limit as the Ultra, should have noticed that.... (a RTFM! moment) that's good to know.

So, I've now got the new MFC Looper functionality with the MFC working (kind of). I'm not saying that I would ever need 60 seconds of loop time, but I'm still pretty sure the looper does nowhere near 60 seconds, even set on 'long'.

Ok, the new MFC101 upgrade makes the looper much more functional. Much appreciated. A question though regarding the metronome. Firstly, I can't notice anything when I press the button. I have correct ccs assigned etc. All is cool but I'd love to be able to speed up or slow down the tempo of the loop via tap tempo. Is this possible at all? If not, I might have to put in a future request. Really handy for when playing live and the drummer drifts from the loop. I use this feature on my Repeater all the time but I have currently taken it out of my rig to minimise lugging.

Ok, the new MFC101 upgrade makes the looper much more functional. Much appreciated. A question though regarding the metronome. Firstly, I can't notice anything when I press the button. I have correct ccs assigned etc. All is cool but I'd love to be able to speed up or slow down the tempo of the loop via tap tempo. Is this possible at all? If not, I might have to put in a future request. Really handy for when playing live and the drummer drifts from the loop. I use this feature on my Repeater all the time but I have currently taken it out of my rig to minimise lugging.

Not possible in the looper at this time. If it just slowed down or speed up, it would change the pitch as well. There are algorithms that will maintain pitch, but it would result in a significant cpu increase. This may be a reason why it is not done.

Agree now that the looper has a dedicated MFC section this is much more useful.

Pretty cool as I was checking out yesterday.

Two questions for you experts.

- Where do you put the looper in the signal chain. Any preference?
- I noticed yesterday I couldn't control the volume once I created the loop from guitar (obviously) nor volume pedal. Does putting the volume pedal ofter the looper enable this? (though I guess if you wanted to fade the loop in and out you'd do the same with the live guitar part too)

Thanks

MM

Agree now that the looper has a dedicated MFC section this is much more useful.

Pretty cool as I was checking out yesterday.

Two questions for you experts.

- Where do you put the looper in the signal chain. Any preference?
- I noticed yesterday I couldn't control the volume once I created the loop from guitar (obviously) nor volume pedal. Does putting the volume pedal ofter the looper enable this? (though I guess if you wanted to fade the loop in and out you'd do the same with the live guitar part too)

Thanks

MM

+1 for this question on placement of looper. I havent messed with a looper since my boss giga delay. Plus i just tried mapping the looper to IA switches about 24 hours before they released the looper function lol.

I put the looper at the end of the chain. This way I all the effects and controls are recorded in the loop. On question #2, I'm not sure about controlling the volume of the loop dynamically...

Been playing with this. Agree that end of the chain seems best (at least for me) though I guess if you place them before the effects you can add the effects dynamically. Though as of now this works for me.

As regards volume, I put the volume pedal right after the looper and then have the effects before the looper branch down to the row below it. This enables you to control the looper volume with the volume pedal and still have a separate guitar signal . Or I guess alternatively you can have the volume pedal set to control the mix level of the loop.

Clearly a lot of ways to do this. That's what makes this unit so amazing.

What best practices do you guys use???

MM

If you want to Loop a dry DI-Signal to tweak your without need to play the whole time guitar ... insert the Looper at the beginning of your chain ;-)

for Playing & recording with effects and the sound of the chain: Yep ... put the block as last in the chain ...

Back
Top Bottom