Axe II Delays

jshirkey

Experienced
Hi,

I'm considering getting an Axe II, mostly to use just for its fx through a couple of my amps. (I might get into its amp modeling capabilities, too, at some point, but that's not my primary interest at the moment.) I'm thinking of replacing another high end fx processor with the Axe II, but I want to be sure to do my homework first.

My main question at the moment has to do with the Axe's delays. I'm trying to find some good clips of the Axe's tape and analog delays. I want to see how well they measure up to some other gear I already own. So far I haven't found any clips like that. Can anyone help me out?

I also have some more specific questions about how the Axe approaches its fx modeling--if "modeling" is even the right word here--and maybe it isn't. For example, does each delay effect have its own unique algorithm? In other words, is each delay effect constructed differently from the ground up? Or is there a single underlying "architecture" that all of the delays share? In other words, the sonic difference between the 2290 style delay and the tape delay in the Axe is due to substantial amounts of tweaking of identical sets of parameters?

Thanks,

Jeff

Basically a single underlying architecture. Each type has the appropriate switch and parameter settings for that delay. Which units do you already own?

Basically a single underlying architecture. Each type has the appropriate switch and parameter settings for that delay. Which units do you already own?

Thanks for your reply.

I have an Eventide H8000. That's the main unit I'm comparing, but I also own the Strymon Brigadier and El Capistan. I'd love to be able to compare the Axe II's analog and tape delays to those pedals.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Thanks for your reply.

I have an Eventide H8000. That's the main unit I'm comparing, but I also own the Strymon Brigadier and El Capistan. I'd love to be able to compare the Axe II's analog and tape delays to those pedals.

Thanks again,

Jeff

both Axe I, but the possibilities are only greater with the II

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-preset-exchange/33279-el-capistan-attempt.html
[URL="http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/41427-el-capistan-saturated-wash.html"]http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/41427-el-capistan-saturated-wash.html

[/URL]

Hi Jeff.

I sent you a PM with my phone number. We've been on forums together for ages. Like you, I'm a delay fan and I think the Axe-Fx is in the top tier in this regard.

-m@

Hi Jeff.

I sent you a PM with my phone number. We've been on forums together for ages. Like you, I'm a delay fan and I think the Axe-Fx is in the top tier in this regard.

-m@

Thanks, Matt. Got it! I'll give you a call this week. Much appreciated.

Jeff

Hi,

I'm considering getting an Axe II, mostly to use just for its fx through a couple of my amps. (I might get into its amp modeling capabilities, too, at some point, but that's not my primary interest at the moment.) I'm thinking of replacing another high end fx processor with the Axe II, but I want to be sure to do my homework first.

My main question at the moment has to do with the Axe's delays. I'm trying to find some good clips of the Axe's tape and analog delays. I want to see how well they measure up to some other gear I already own. So far I haven't found any clips like that. Can anyone help me out?

I also have some more specific questions about how the Axe approaches its fx modeling--if "modeling" is even the right word here--and maybe it isn't. For example, does each delay effect have its own unique algorithm? In other words, is each delay effect constructed differently from the ground up? Or is there a single underlying "architecture" that all of the delays share? In other words, the sonic difference between the 2290 style delay and the tape delay in the Axe is due to substantial amounts of tweaking of identical sets of parameters?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You've asked good questions, and tbh, I did NOT know any of this before I got my Axe-FX II, but it turns out that the various Delay-Block "Types" (which are selectable as the first/left-most parameter on PAGE1 of the Delay-Block's "editing-menu") share an identical-looking PAGE1 of "basic" editable-parameters (think of PAGE1 mostly as the typical "4-knobs" you'd see on a stompbox-delay unit: INPUT; FEEDBACK/REGENERATION; EFFECT-MIX; OUTPUT - plus a "CONFIG" selction-knob for those who might want to "re-configure/experiment with/swap" certain panning-characteristics of one delay-type with another. That all said, PAGE2 (which lists the "Advanced-Parameters,") is where you'll see the necesssary (and editable) parameter-variations from one "delay-type/model's" delay-characteristics to another.

I hope this description helps, I cannot provide clips at this time however...Sorry!

Bill

The Saturated Wash preset is actually Axe-FX II.

I have improved it, but not had a chance to record a demo.

I used it last week at rehearsal and it was the first time I was really happy with the results....which is just as well as I was starting to regret selling my El Capistan.

I will update the demo and upload the new patch.

Cheers

Martin

Edit***

Uploaded the V2 effect block to the Saturated El Capistan thread.

Last edited:
Have you guys been able to get close to the Deluxe Memory Man delay? That's the one I am struggling with to get that lush and swirly delay sound.

In response about whether the delay types are the same delay with different setting to create the various typs, I would say NO. from memory I would say the tape delay for example has a few head adjustment parameters which are not present on any other delay type.

Also if you were getting a axe 2 just for the effect, I did read somewhere about a plan to release a effects only axe fx, which may be more cost affective for you, unless you megabucks to burn of coarse.

Back
Top Bottom