Axe FX3 and wireless systems

Hey folks. I've used a number of wireless systems over the years, and most recently my maker of choice is Sennheiser, and I'm using a G4. Now it's all connected correctly, I'm using the FX3 in 4CM, and so long as I use a guitar cable it's fine. When I use the wireless it squeals uncontrollably. It's a very painful high pitched squeal, not like the usual feedback sound. The only way I can stop it is by switching effects off, which kind of goes against the point of using the effects. Moving around, turning the guitar volume down (or off entirely) does not stop the squealing. I've never encountered this before, and I've used wireless systems for years, and with way more complex set ups. Any thoughts, anyone?

This happens if you have two transmitters assigned to the same frequency. Do you have multiple transmitters and/or are you scanning before turning on your transmitter(s)?

This happens if you have two transmitters assigned to the same frequency. Do you have multiple transmitters and/or are you scanning before turning on your transmitter(s)?
No I only have the one...I've never done the scanning thing before, as I don't live in an area where there is even the chance of there being a competition for frequencies, but maybe I'll start doing that.

Definitely something in the wireless, as @strabes notes, likely in the transmitters or gain settings.
Thanks...I'm just at a loss. I even managed to get through to Sennheiser customer service a while back, no mean achievement in itself, and their engineer couldn't figure it out. I was able to have him hear the noise, and he went through all manner of options, but the problem still persists.

A good troubleshooting step would be to try plugging the wireless into something else and see if it has that issue. Keep in mind that the noise may sound like less if there is a difference in the amount of gain, compression, etc. on the other device you plug into. If you have it on a rack with the axe fx, try it both on that rack with the axe fx on/off, as well as separate from the axe fx.

A good troubleshooting step would be to try plugging the wireless into something else and see if it has that issue. Keep in mind that the noise may sound like less if there is a difference in the amount of gain, compression, etc. on the other device you plug into. If you have it on a rack with the axe fx, try it both on that rack with the axe fx on/off, as well as separate from the axe fx.
Funny you should say that, as I've just been doing that. If I just have the wireless going into the front of the amp, there are no issues at all. The problems all begin when I complete the 4CM and go from the wireless into the input of the FX3. Weirdly I noticed 3 strange things: 1) there were no issues when it appeared the batteries were conking out. Changed the batteries and all hell broke loose. 2) I could get the squealing to stop when I turned and faced the amp...move away, however, and again...3) I'm back to square 1. This may be an odd request but is anyone willing to face time me? I'm on FB, Instagram and WhatsApp, and while all of the input here is most welcome I'd really like to show you guys what is happening, and see if anyone can see an obvious thing that I can't, and because of that I'm not mentioning it. Like I said, the wireless functions fine without the Axe FX3 having its input into the front of the amp in the picture, but once it's there the two seem to be fighting each other. Thanks folks.

Have you tried a different frequency on your wireless? You‘d be surprised what can give you interference even in areas without much. I’ve played in cornfields and gotten RF interference. Also do you have another amp you could try it with? If using IO on the Axe with ground lift options, maybe try those as well

Have you tried a different frequency on your wireless? You‘d be surprised what can give you interference even in areas without much. I’ve played in cornfields and gotten RF interference. Also do you have another amp you could try it with? If using IO on the Axe with ground lift options, maybe try those as well
I've tried different frequencies, and I've used the wireless with my Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK3, all with the same result.

Post your preset or screenshot of it, you might’ve accidentaly made a feedback loop in the signal chain

Especially since you’re using the 4CM
Here is the screen shot of the routing. Bear in mind that I only have an issue when using my wireless with the Axe FX3 in 4CM...when I go direct from the wireless to the amp, no issues, and when I just use a cable (no wireless), no issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 6.09.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 6.09.06 PM.png
    503.7 KB · Views: 34
Here is the screen shot of the routing. Bear in mind that I only have an issue when using my wireless with the Axe FX3 in 4CM...when I go direct from the wireless to the amp, no issues, and when I just use a cable (no wireless), no issues.
Just guessing here but…

You don’t use all 4 drives at once right?

What if you make another simpler 4cm preset, Does squeel still happen?

What if you don’t use the 4cm and just use a simple generic input 1 >amp block>cab block>output block___signal chain? Does the squeel happen?

Just trying to see if the axe fx is a part of the the issue or not

Just guessing here but…

You don’t use all 4 drives at once right?

What if you make another simpler 4cm preset, Does squeel still happen?

What if you don’t use the 4cm and just use a simple generic input 1 >amp block>cab block>output block___signal chain? Does the squeel happen?

Just trying to see if the axe fx is a part of the the issue or not
Oh God no (😂), although technically I should be able to with a bit of tweaking. Thing is if I use the Horizon Drive, with not much in the way of drive, it's unbearable. I have to turn stuff down to the point where they're of very little point. If I go from the wireless direct to the amp, just with effects in the loop, I have no issues at all...if I use the 4CM and just a cable, no issue. I've actually had no problem using the wireless with the Axe FX as a modeller. The issue definitely seems to be happening somewhere between the wireless and the Axe FX into the front of the amp.

Hiya

To clarify:
  • If you go wireless into front of amp, all good?
  • If you go guitar cable into front of Axe FX (in 4CM), all good?
  • If you go wireless (with the exact same cable as above), into front of Axe FX (exact same socket that worked fine as per above), all bad?

Post a photo of your rack/rig? Just checking that it is not an earthing or a power issue? Does it do the same thing if the wireless receiver is out of the rack, and/or on a separate power point?

Have you checked the cables - is it exactly the same lead that goes into the front of the amp, and then (once removed) into the front of the Axe FX?

Does it still sound bad with wireless/4CM with none of the "before the amp" FX engaged (just checking that it is not a level or gain setting early in the Axe Fx 4CM settings)?

Do you have any LED's in your room? Computer monitor, gaming keyboard, etc... try turning them off or dimming the LED's.
Both of those things were causing high pitched noise in my room.

Do you have any LED's in your room? Computer monitor, gaming keyboard, etc... try turning them off or dimming the LED's.

Good point! It could be something that the wireless is picking up, albeit the OP says it work fine when running the wireless straight into the amp.

Another question ... does it still behave this way in another location? Have you tried this in another room in your house, or in a rehearsal studio? Just trying to rule out the environment!

Take elements away one by one, and then re-introduce them until the fault appears ...

No I only have the one...I've never done the scanning thing before, as I don't live in an area where there is even the chance of there being a competition for frequencies, but maybe I'll start doing that.
If you have any TV stations being broadcasted from towers within 2 hours drive you have competition.

Which output are you using from your wireless? Try the XLR out and go into the 1/4” input on the Axe with an XLR to 1/4” TS and then try an XLR to 1/4” TRS cable. I had a similar issue with my Axe II and I can’t remember which cable I had to use but I had to swap to the XLR out on the receiver to one of those, and that eliminated noise.

If you have any TV stations being broadcasted from towers within 2 hours drive you have competition.

Which output are you using from your wireless? Try the XLR out and go into the 1/4” input on the Axe with an XLR to 1/4” TS and then try an XLR to 1/4” TRS cable. I had a similar issue with my Axe II and I can’t remember which cable I had to use but I had to swap to the XLR out on the receiver to one of those, and that eliminated noise.
I'll give that a whirl...I talked to a wireless person at a music store and I asked about that and they reckoned it would make no difference, but I'll give it a shot, thanks.

I use a Mac for the Axe FX, and it's never caused issues before, but as something else to eliminate I'll try.
Hiya

To clarify:
  • If you go wireless into front of amp, all good?
  • If you go guitar cable into front of Axe FX (in 4CM), all good?
  • If you go wireless (with the exact same cable as above), into front of Axe FX (exact same socket that worked fine as per above), all bad?

Post a photo of your rack/rig? Just checking that it is not an earthing or a power issue? Does it do the same thing if the wireless receiver is out of the rack, and/or on a separate power point?

Have you checked the cables - is it exactly the same lead that goes into the front of the amp, and then (once removed) into the front of the Axe FX?

Does it still sound bad with wireless/4CM with none of the "before the amp" FX engaged (just checking that it is not a level or gain setting early in the Axe Fx 4CM settings)?
If I use gain FX then it goes mental. I've just reduced all those FX to the point of being virtually of no effect at all. The issue seems to be just between the wireless and the front part of the 4CM.

Back
Top Bottom