Axe FX3 and wireless systems

So the point I'm at right now is that I've had to reduce "Drive" blocks to the point of being virtually useless. However, if I go back to cable, and take the wireless out of the equation I can have what ever I like in the chain, and don't have too make any alterations to the Drive blocks.

OK, so I've tried different leads, I've messed around with gain levels, but, while the squeal has "gone" the tone is sucked out. Just go with a lead and I can have my Drive blocks as I want them with no unruly squealing at all. Is my wireless screwed? I just do not get it at all. Anyway here are some pics, I know things are a bit unruly, but I just cannot figure this out, and I am so grateful for all the advice.IMG_2216.jpegIMG_2215.jpegIMG_2214.jpegIMG_2213.jpegIMG_2212.jpeg

Maybe try putting the RTA block on the grid after the input. You might be able to see where the feedback loop is forming as you slowly roll up your guitar's volume knob.

I'll give that a whirl...I talked to a wireless person at a music store and I asked about that and they reckoned it would make no difference, but I'll give it a shot, thanks.
It will make a difference if the issue is caused by a ground issue. If that’s not the cause then it likely won’t. Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but having Humbuster cables for 4CM is also highly recommended.

Also, have you gain-staged your wireless? Those Sennheiser wireless have very high output from the transmitter but it can be dialed back. Play the guitar as you would normally with the transmitter in and watch the front of the receiver and make sure you’re not peaking/limiting it out. You’ll see it on the metering. Dial back the sensitivity on the transmitter until it mellows out. If you have hot pickups you may have to dial back the sensitivity a lot. Again this is a setting in the transmitter. Then you can adjust the AF out on the receiver to compensate for any volume/gain drop as a result. Set your patches up relevant to the gain staging on the wireless, ie: play with your wireless and dial your gains on the Axe/amp.

Wireless is always a compromise.

It will make a difference if the issue is caused by a ground issue. If that’s not the cause then it likely won’t. Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but having Humbuster cables for 4CM is also highly recommended.
Isn't there a way of "making" these cables? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

Also, have you gain-staged your wireless? Those Sennheiser wireless have very high output from the transmitter but it can be dialed back. Play the guitar as you would normally with the transmitter in and watch the front of the receiver and make sure you’re not peaking/limiting it out. You’ll see it on the metering. Dial back the sensitivity on the transmitter until it mellows out. If you have hot pickups you may have to dial back the sensitivity a lot. Again this is a setting in the transmitter. Then you can adjust the AF out on the receiver to compensate for any volume/gain drop as a result. Set your patches up relevant to the gain staging on the wireless, ie: play with your wireless and dial your gains on the Axe/amp.

Wireless is always a compromise.
I'll give this another look. A while back I had a Sennheiser tech on the phone and he heard what was going on and he had me adjust stuff, with the result being no squeal but also virtually no gain and a terrible tone from the amp...everything was sucked out. My guitars have a mixture of pick ups...standard Gibsons, and Seymour Duncan JB's in my Customs. Are you suggesting that I set the effects etc as I would want them and set the wireless around them?

Can you post a recording of the squealing? That could help eliminate some things. I find feedback, ground loops, and RF produce different types of squeals.

You might want to try your signal chain out of the rack and spread out in a line or different configuration as well. There is the possibility your cables are working as an antenna.

Lastly does the wireless squeal when straight to the Axe? Also you could try removing equipment from the rack as sometimes the rails can cause a ground loop.

I'll give this another look. A while back I had a Sennheiser tech on the phone and he heard what was going on and he had me adjust stuff, with the result being no squeal but also virtually no gain and a terrible tone from the amp...everything was sucked out. My guitars have a mixture of pick ups...standard Gibsons, and Seymour Duncan JB's in my Customs. Are you suggesting that I set the effects etc as I would want them and set the wireless around them?
No, you need to set your gain and effects relative to your wireless. Think of it this way…if you introduced a new guitar to your rig with say, either super low or super high output pickups, you would have to completely adjust your gain settings relative to those pickups to get the tone you wanted, right? Every guitar is different so usually you begin crafting tonality based upon the way the guitar hits the signal chain, sometimes that means your effects first, sometimes it means the front end of your amp first. You’ve already done this with your guitar(s), while plugged in via cable. You’re introducing a completely foreign gain structure to your ecosystem now by using a wireless system. (Quick background, I spent nearly 20 years working at a large guitar shop, have played in multiple live bands, and now design and install PA systems full-time. I don't say that for gloating...just letting you know I have some experience).

The Sennheiser G4 series has adjustable gain stages on both the transmitter, and the receiver. This is to compensate for differing incoming signal levels hitting the receiver, as well as compensation for gain staging once leaving the receiver. Sennheiser doesn't know if you're using a guitar into the transmitter, a headset microphone, a lapel microphone, a wind microphone, etc. So they allow you a sensitivity control to adjust the gain staging as necessary, to have proper incoming signal. As I mentioned in my previous post, the first thing you should be doing is playing a mixture of your guitars, and finding the sweet spot on the transmitter by adjust the sensitivity setting (on the transmitter) while playing the guitars and watching the front of the receiver. You'll see the "AF" level on the receiver, next to the "RF" level. You should be adjusting the sensitivity to where your signal level averages close to "0" on the meter, without peaking, while playing at average intensity on your guitar. This should be a VISUAL adjustment, not an audible one. Your ears will deceive you. Do this without having your amp/AxeFX turned on or audible. Adjust the sensitivity between the mixture of guitars so that you're close to "0". It's unlikely that this will be a perfect scenario because as you said you have a mixture of guitars and pickups. There is ALWAYS a compromise when using wireless.

Once you've gone through and found the sweet spot of sensitivity setting on the transmitter, you should then start adjusting the AF Out setting on the receiver. (This is what will compensate for when you mentioned after adjusting things the result was virtually no gain/etc. This stage is essentially output gain compensation). The easiest way to do this, is to bounce back and forth between your wireless, and a cable, hitting the front of your signal chain going into your amp (where your output cable from your wireless would plug in). Going back and forth here will give you an audible example of the difference between these two worlds as far as input gain goes. For example, say you hit the beginning of your signal chain and it sounds "right", and then you switch to the wireless, and all of a sudden you have little to no gain, or way more gain than when the cable was plugged in directly. You then use the AF Out setting to adjust and compensate for the difference on the wireless receiver. If when using the wireless you have way more gain than when a cable is plugged in (sans wireless), you would dial back the AF Out. If the opposite and you have little to no gain as compared to a direct cable, you would adjust the AF Out setting on the receiver to hit the front of the signal chain harder. You do this back and forth until you have a close relationship between tonalities and gain staging between the wired and wireless options. Once you have found the AF Out setting that is suitable, you then have to shape your Amp/AxeFX/etc settings around the wireless system. You can't ever set up a rig with a wired cable, have it sounding how you like, go to a gig, plug a wireless system in, and expect it to sound identical. You have to shape your tonality based on the way you're plugging into it. A lot of times after adjust the gain staging on the transmitter and receiver, you can get to where it's a usable balance and not need much if any adjustment on the amp/Axe between the two, but it may never be perfect. Another setting to consider in the transmitter is the Cable Emulation.

Again, wireless is always a compromise. You cut the cable, and now you're dealing with companders and other settings that will affect your tonality. You have to shape your sound around it. Adjust incoming gain, and output gain. Find the sweet spot.

I get a high pitched whine out of my hacked L6 wireless(s) if there is a sketchy ground on the cable between the wireless and FM9.

In my case it was the jack that I used being microphonic.

No, you need to set your gain and effects relative to your wireless. Think of it this way…if you introduced a new guitar to your rig with say, either super low or super high output pickups, you would have to completely adjust your gain settings relative to those pickups to get the tone you wanted, right? Every guitar is different so usually you begin crafting tonality based upon the way the guitar hits the signal chain, sometimes that means your effects first, sometimes it means the front end of your amp first. You’ve already done this with your guitar(s), while plugged in via cable. You’re introducing a completely foreign gain structure to your ecosystem now by using a wireless system. (Quick background, I spent nearly 20 years working at a large guitar shop, have played in multiple live bands, and now design and install PA systems full-time. I don't say that for gloating...just letting you know I have some experience).

The Sennheiser G4 series has adjustable gain stages on both the transmitter, and the receiver. This is to compensate for differing incoming signal levels hitting the receiver, as well as compensation for gain staging once leaving the receiver. Sennheiser doesn't know if you're using a guitar into the transmitter, a headset microphone, a lapel microphone, a wind microphone, etc. So they allow you a sensitivity control to adjust the gain staging as necessary, to have proper incoming signal. As I mentioned in my previous post, the first thing you should be doing is playing a mixture of your guitars, and finding the sweet spot on the transmitter by adjust the sensitivity setting (on the transmitter) while playing the guitars and watching the front of the receiver. You'll see the "AF" level on the receiver, next to the "RF" level. You should be adjusting the sensitivity to where your signal level averages close to "0" on the meter, without peaking, while playing at average intensity on your guitar. This should be a VISUAL adjustment, not an audible one. Your ears will deceive you. Do this without having your amp/AxeFX turned on or audible. Adjust the sensitivity between the mixture of guitars so that you're close to "0". It's unlikely that this will be a perfect scenario because as you said you have a mixture of guitars and pickups. There is ALWAYS a compromise when using wireless.

Once you've gone through and found the sweet spot of sensitivity setting on the transmitter, you should then start adjusting the AF Out setting on the receiver. (This is what will compensate for when you mentioned after adjusting things the result was virtually no gain/etc. This stage is essentially output gain compensation). The easiest way to do this, is to bounce back and forth between your wireless, and a cable, hitting the front of your signal chain going into your amp (where your output cable from your wireless would plug in). Going back and forth here will give you an audible example of the difference between these two worlds as far as input gain goes. For example, say you hit the beginning of your signal chain and it sounds "right", and then you switch to the wireless, and all of a sudden you have little to no gain, or way more gain than when the cable was plugged in directly. You then use the AF Out setting to adjust and compensate for the difference on the wireless receiver. If when using the wireless you have way more gain than when a cable is plugged in (sans wireless), you would dial back the AF Out. If the opposite and you have little to no gain as compared to a direct cable, you would adjust the AF Out setting on the receiver to hit the front of the signal chain harder. You do this back and forth until you have a close relationship between tonalities and gain staging between the wired and wireless options. Once you have found the AF Out setting that is suitable, you then have to shape your Amp/AxeFX/etc settings around the wireless system. You can't ever set up a rig with a wired cable, have it sounding how you like, go to a gig, plug a wireless system in, and expect it to sound identical. You have to shape your tonality based on the way you're plugging into it. A lot of times after adjust the gain staging on the transmitter and receiver, you can get to where it's a usable balance and not need much if any adjustment on the amp/Axe between the two, but it may never be perfect. Another setting to consider in the transmitter is the Cable Emulation.

Again, wireless is always a compromise. You cut the cable, and now you're dealing with companders and other settings that will affect your tonality. You have to shape your sound around it. Adjust incoming gain, and output gain. Find the sweet spot.
Cracking info...many thanks...The latest instalment in the on going saga led to my latest experiment this morning. I have been using a BOSS WAZA TAE, but this morning I took that out of the equation, and lo and behold no issues...all channels and all modes on the amp, and drive effects as I would want them and not a single issue, outside of obvious feedback from too much gain. So, go figure that one.

Sounds suspiciously like some kind of ground loop happening. Have had this happen to me sometimes, when I was reamping with D.I.s and double ground. High pitch constant squaling, even at low volumes.
I'm flummoxed now...I was using an Eb-Tech Hum Eliminator too, yet this morning took out the Eb-Tech, took out the WAZA, and all well. As I said earlier I've built very involved pedal boards, running multiple MIDI devices, stomp boxes, MIDI controller, and FM3 into an ENGL Special Edition, utilizing both effects loops, and encountered no issues whatsoever, so I am just ridiculously baffled by this situation.

I'm flummoxed now...I was using an Eb-Tech Hum Eliminator too, yet this morning took out the Eb-Tech, took out the WAZA, and all well. As I said earlier I've built very involved pedal boards, running multiple MIDI devices, stomp boxes, MIDI controller, and FM3 into an ENGL Special Edition, utilizing both effects loops, and encountered no issues whatsoever, so I am just ridiculously baffled by this situation.
Sounds like a bad cable or unseated solder joint.

Sounds like a bad cable or unseated solder joint.
While I'm not going to dismiss any ideas, I can't see that as all the cables have remained constant, and the only cable I removed this morning was a speaker cable... The point I'm at now is that if I use the TAE, then I have to use a cable, but if I take the TAE out of the picture I can use the wireless.

Cables are easy enough to rule out. If you can get your hands on a new TAE, that may be simpler than cracking it open and looking for soldering joints.

Simplify, repatch 1 by 1 until the problem reappears. Sounds like you've maybe needlessly to complicated setup? Shouldn't be needing the Ebtech.

BTW, now I think about it, the squaling only happened with my Engl Fireball. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom