Axe-Fx+???

For me, the BBE is good for making low rent PA system have a little extra oomph.

It's like cheap wine, sure you will get a buzz, but wake up with a #$#$# headache :)

I want to jump on this pile... please don't buy a sonic maximizer for your Axe-Fx II. It would be like buying a Bugatti Veyron and coating it in dog shit. Sure it's novel, but probably you'll get sick of it pretty quick.

... Maximizer is perfume on a pig and should never be nor ever needed for great sounding gear. .. only if you want to diminish what you have.

Last edited:
I had a BBE Sinic Maximizer in a rack rig back in the 80's. It lasted about a week.

I've seen plenty "bar" guitar players strap 'em to the side of a Line6 Spider or other amp, then run to FOH.
When running sound I try to discourage their use where possible and try to assure the player that I can get them in the mix.
There are some that still insist on using them in line.

They do not work well for live use (IMHO) tho I do admit to having one in my home rack - which I use right before the headphone amp when holding a headphone jam! Tends to save on the severe EQ curves when using phones from multiple vendors.

You know, now that I think about it, is it even possible to achieve what they are claiming within the laws of physics? I mean, let's look at it from a few angles....

You'd have to stand a few hundred feet away to even be able to perceive the difference (or at least verify it does what it says it does on the tin).
You'd be oblivious to the effects at anything less than 100ft or so.
Music would pretty much be unlisten-able. Think about how bad it sounds when there's a concert a few blocks away and you hear the seemingly randomly delayed trail.
You'd have a pretty insane real-time mathematical model for something like that.....or a LOT of crossovers and delays...I'm sure even the axe would be begging you to spare its cpu.
I'm totally not convinced that something like this is even possible for an analog device.

Feel free to prove me wrong tho, but the more I think about it is the more perplexed I am for such a device to even exist, save for mad scientists with uber-super computers...

Have anyone tried the BBE sonic maximizer? It does wonders! It lifts a mix like nothing else IMHO. It removes the difference in phase between the low and high frequecies, that's all.
(correct me if I'm wrong about that) but OMG it makes a huuuge difference! I think I will get one myself to use with the axe-fx II when I have the $. It's like a way of mixing/mastering on it's own. Does anyone here have any deep experience with it? Check out some more youtube videos for it with mixing/mastering in mind.
It's the closest effect you get to "take a blanket off" your audio. You don't really notice much turning it on (well yeah you do but) try going back to the original sound afterwards.
It sounds less defined and just more muddy (shit).

But then again you get addicted to it and can't live without it. I'm just going to try the axe-fx II first, something tells me I will be quite pleased with it on it's own :D

We're sorta on the same boat but i've been told by others that i know that the maximizer isn't needed with the axe.

You know, now that I think about it, is it even possible to achieve what they are claiming within the laws of physics? I mean, let's look at it from a few angles....

You'd have to stand a few hundred feet away to even be able to perceive the difference (or at least verify it does what it says it does on the tin).
You'd be oblivious to the effects at anything less than 100ft or so.
Music would pretty much be unlisten-able. Think about how bad it sounds when there's a concert a few blocks away and you hear the seemingly randomly delayed trail.
You'd have a pretty insane real-time mathematical model for something like that.....or a LOT of crossovers and delays...I'm sure even the axe would be begging you to spare its cpu.
I'm totally not convinced that something like this is even possible for an analog device.

Feel free to prove me wrong tho, but the more I think about it is the more perplexed I am for such a device to even exist, save for mad scientists with uber-super computers...

You make a good argument. Too technical to even make me want to figure it out on my own lol

I've seen plenty "bar" guitar players strap 'em to the side of a Line6 Spider or other amp, then run to FOH.
When running sound I try to discourage their use where possible and try to assure the player that I can get them in the mix.
There are some that still insist on using them in line.

They do not work well for live use (IMHO) tho I do admit to having one in my home rack - which I use right before the headphone amp when holding a headphone jam! Tends to save on the severe EQ curves when using phones from multiple vendors.

I'd want to experiment with one to see the difference in needing one or not

I want to jump on this pile... please don't buy a sonic maximizer for your Axe-Fx II. It would be like buying a Bugatti Veyron and coating it in dog shit. Sure it's novel, but probably you'll get sick of it pretty quick.

Thanks for looking out, I'm actually just looking to get a better power amp. Would there be any other device that would be needed with the axe?

But it makes the mix sound better, not just a V-eq thing with more bass and treble but more defined. More defined. I'm not giving up on this baby, at least not the vst version.
If my mix sounds good, my mix sounds good. If it don't, it don't. If you get what i'm saying, you get what i'm saying. If you don't, you dont. Do you get what i'm saying? lol :)

Where does all this come from? I mean. people seem so happy with it. Does it just boost bass and treble? I don't buy that. I think it adds something else too.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer
Product Reviews: Hands-On Review: BBE Sonic Maximizer Signal Processors | Musician's Friend
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guitar-effects/BBE-Sonic-Stomp-Sonic-Maximizer/reviews/

I see the eq-argument though, because you push the button and it's like "woohoo, all the mud went away", "well yeah dude, but where are your mids...?"

"eeeerrhhhmmm, I'll go look for them, you wait here ok?" and he is gone... Gone I tell you.

Well, if it sounds good to you and you can make it work for you in/on a mix and you want one, then you should probably get and use one.
As I said, I'm not a fan.

Back
Top Bottom