axe fx with wireless jack

On only one occurrence did I have to change channels. I heard a little interference, changed channels and it was gone. Haven't even changed back with no more issues. And it's been in many, many different locations. Pretty awesome piece of kit if you ask me. I use it all the time, even at home noodling..

Edo, I have zero problems with my GLX-D going into the front of my Axe-Fx XL.

Gain is set at 0 dB (default), and results in the same level as when using a quality cable.
Sound quality also is the same.

I always use Group 1 (for the least latency) and let the receiver pick a channel.

BTW, the firmware of the GLX-D transmitter and receiver can be updated with the Shure Update Utility.

I see.. well, I guess I'll record an A/B clip as soon as I can and post it so you can tell me what you think. Thanks for the feedback so far.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/different-cables-wireless-comparison.123140/

As promised, here's a quick clip i made to show the different tone using 3 different cables and a wireless jack.

Edo, I just listened the clip at soundcloud. When listened carefully, I already hear four difference type of tone, I thought you have 4 cable to test. After read your post later, then realized you use 3 cables and a wireless.

I like the first part, what cable did you use? And which one is a wireless?

Edo, I just listened the clip at soundcloud. When listened carefully, I already hear four difference type of tone, I thought you have 4 cable to test. After read your post later, then realized you use 3 cables and a wireless.

I like the first part, what cable did you use? And which one is a wireless?

First part is a 8m mogami gold - the one I normally use (and the one i've used to make the presets). Wireless is the last bit, which sounds more similar to the 2nd bit (mogami platinum) than the mogami gold bit.

I never thought before I could hear different in tone from different cable types. This proves cable has significant impact to the tone, at least it happened in that clip.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/different-cables-wireless-comparison.123140/

As promised, here's a quick clip i made to show the different tone using 3 different cables and a wireless jack.
That's probably the missing capacitance of the cable, how long is the cable you use from the receiver to the axe fx?
An 8m cable has quite a bit of high frequency rolloff and also lowers the resonant frequency of passive pickups, I suspect the cable used with the wireless is way shorter?

EDIT: I re-read your post and realized you used the same 8m cable.. anyway that 8m cable cable won't have the same effect on tone placed after the buffer of the wireless receiver, you could simulate it with a cap from signal to ground soldered in the cable between your guitar and the transmitter, if the wireless system doesn't have a cable simulator

EDIT2; mogami gold cable has a capacitance of 130pF/m that means you'd need a 1nf cap after your guitar to simulate the same rolloff

Last edited:
Reactions: edo
8 meters, wow!

Every cable that long that I've ever used, even very high quality, has a very noticeable treble roll-off.

8 meters, wow!

Every cable that long that I've ever used, even very high quality, has a very noticeable treble roll-off.

So does my main cable indeed, but I like what it does to strats / teles

I agree! Recently I switched to a 10m (80pF/m) cable for the same reason.
8 meters, wow!

This is what it does
image_88886.jpg

When edo uses the mogami gold the response would be something similar to the black line, when using the wireless it will be about the same to the red or orange line

Yes. It is probably an important factor why the GLX-D sounds harsher, and needs to be compensated somewehere. The GLX-D should not sound weaker though. Did you check / replace the patch cable running between GLX-D and Axe-Fx?

Yes. It is probably an important factor why the GLX-D sounds harsher, and needs to be compensated somewehere. The GLX-D should not sound weaker though. Did you check / replace the patch cable running between GLX-D and Axe-Fx?
IIRC the glx-d has a gain control so that shouldn't be a problem after compensating for the tone difference

I'm using the same mogami gold cable I use when im not wireless

The first thing to do with wireless is tweak your preset with the wireless unit, not a cable, as they do sound different.

I had really bad experience with the glxd that I had to return it and go back to my old trusted relay g50.
Dropouts, noise and weird brittle tone.

The first thing to do with wireless is tweak your preset with the wireless unit, not a cable, as they do sound different.

I had really bad experience with the glxd that I had to return it and go back to my old trusted relay g50.
Dropouts, noise and weird brittle tone.

I used to have the l6 g55 before switching to the Shure, and I had more dropouts with the l6 than the shure. I mostly switched because of the lithium battery and built in tuner, but in the end the cable is where it's at

Sure tweaking presets with the wireless would bring better results but it won't sound the same anyway since the cable interacts with the pickups lowering their resonant frequency, I think there's no way to simulate that on the afx

I use the glx half rack thingy, and it at 0db is the same level as a cable. You couldn't drag me to use a cable again live. I've been doing this a while, and I'm having a hard time believing you can hear the difference in a band mix at a gig. You must have golden ears my friend, not a dig, just amazed.

Maybe try using a long cable between your wireless and axe as the hookup cable. This would server two purposes, if you have a problem at the gig with the wireless just unplug and go, and it would add some treble loss.

Last edited:
I use the glx half rack thingy, and it at 0db is the same level as a cable. You couldn't drag me to use a cable again live. I've been doing this a while, and I'm having a hard time believing you can hear the difference in a bad mix at a gig. You must have golden ears my friend, not a dig, just amazed.

Maybe try using a long cable between your wireless and axe as the hookup cable. This would server two purposes, if you have a problem at the gig with the wireless just unplug and go, and it would add some treble loss.

Lol you're absolutely right, I would not hear such a difference in a live mix (in fact it is quite acceptable at foh), but the thing is that I recently switched to hi end 12 driver per side custom molded iem's with a guitar oriented mix, and that's when the difference has become more evident! With my older 3 driver universal fit iem I never bothered

Last edited:
Lol you're absolutely right, I would not hear such a difference in a live mix (in fact it is quite acceptable at foh), but the thing is that I recently switched to hi end 12 driver per side custom molded iem's with a guitar oriented mix, and that's when the difference has become more evident! With my older 3 driver universal fit iem I never bothered

I have triple driver iems now, interesting to get that perspective from someone who went from 3 to 12. Can you really hear that much more definition? i'm sure the cost was a lot, justified? can you elaborate a bit? thanks.

I have triple driver iems now, interesting to get that perspective from someone who went from 3 to 12. Can you really hear that much more definition? i'm sure the cost was a lot, justified? can you elaborate a bit? thanks.

The difference is quite dramatic I must say. Especially in the low - low mids (much cleaner at any level) and the top end. The biggest difference though i think is not in the 3 vs 12 driver, but it's in the universal fit vs custom fit. With my older iem's I just had guitar, vocals, sequence and click, everything else I could hear from the stage amps. Now I have drums and bass too, because they isolate that much that I can't hear the stage at all.
The way I see it, one spends countless $$$ on instruments/gear and countless hours programming it to make it sound as good as possible, in the end its all coming through your iem's, so they're just as important as your favorite guitar / amp / effects!
I got the 12 drivers cos I got a 20% artist endorsement discount, so I paid about 1300€ vs 1800$. Yet I think 6-8 drivers would be more than enough for 400-600$ less

Back
Top Bottom