axe fx with wireless jack

edo

Power User
Vendor
After spending the last couple weeks off retweaking all my patches for q6.02, I can say that my axe is at its best. However, if I go wireless (with a sure glxd6), the magic disappears. I know that going wireless compromises the tone, but if I try the wireless between guitar and amp, the tone degradation is not as bad as putting it between guitar and axe. So I was wondering if I should tweak anything in the I/O menu or elsewhere. Change input Z? Use input 2 maybe? Anybody who sorted it out and can share their experience is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

I don't notice my GLXD6 compromising the tone. Is it possible you need to adjust the output settings on the GLXD? Maybe try a different cable to the wireless pack as well? I primarily use mine with my AX8. But I used to use it with my AXE II prior to that.

I don't notice my GLXD6 compromising the tone. Is it possible you need to adjust the output settings on the GLXD? Maybe try a different cable to the wireless pack as well? I primarily use mine with my AX8. But I used to use it with my AXE II prior to that.

I didn't find it too degrading until yesterday, but after playing a gig with the lead and the next day a gig with the wireless, the difference was very noticeable, and after A/B'ing them through the venue pa, the glxd sounds weaker and more trebly. No bass loss, just harsher top and weaker signal. I guess I'll have to try and turn up the gain on the glxd and see how that goes.
So front input is still the optimal connection for wireless units?

Hopefully, you can get to the bottom of it! I'm just not aware of any reports of it behaving like you mentioned, nor do I see a problem playing at home or gigs via FRFR. The only time I've ever had a problem was when I had built my own custom cable (mogami). I noticed things just sounded way off and flat (opposite of what you have). Low and behold, I did an absolute horrible job soldering it. I finally rebuilt it using the same mogami cable but better connectors and it was back on target.

Another possibility is the wired side has it's own impairments that you've been compensating for in the preset and maybe the GLXD is just being more transparent. I'd honestly suspect a difference in capacitance vs your wired/wireless could be causing a loss of high-end on the wired side. I'd honestly try different cables on both the wired and wireless sides if you haven't already. I good test would be to plug your same guitar cable that you use for the wired side into the GLXD6 base if you haven't already. Curious if that sounds the same or not.

Hopefully, some other GLXD6 users can chime in with their experiences.

Good Luck!

I'm using a Sennheiser digital unit and can say that the difference is very minimal. I can hear a slight difference out of 'the live band mix' context. But not enough to give up my walk-a-round freedom.

Hopefully, you can get to the bottom of it! I'm just not aware of any reports of it behaving like you mentioned, nor do I see a problem playing at home or gigs via FRFR. The only time I've ever had a problem was when I had built my own custom cable (mogami). I noticed things just sounded way off and flat (opposite of what you have). Low and behold, I did an absolute horrible job soldering it. I finally rebuilt it using the same mogami cable but better connectors and it was back on target.

Another possibility is the wired side has it's own impairments that you've been compensating for in the preset and maybe the GLXD is just being more transparent. I'd honestly suspect a difference in capacitance vs your wired/wireless could be causing a loss of high-end on the wired side. I'd honestly try different cables on both the wired and wireless sides if you haven't already. I good test would be to plug your same guitar cable that you use for the wired side into the GLXD6 base if you haven't already. Curious if that sounds the same or not.

Hopefully, some other GLXD6 users can chime in with their experiences.

Good Luck!

I do use the same mogami cable both for wired and wireless. I should probably just tweak presets using the wireless then!

I do use the same mogami cable both for wired and wireless. I should probably just tweak presets using the wireless then!
You can try to select 1M+cap input impedance, that rolls off a good amount of high frequency and I find that's about the same as using a 10 meters cable, probably same capacitance.
I don't think the impedance itself (without "+cap") would have a huge impact since the wireless output is a buffered signal.

In my limited experience, problems with tone degradation due to devices in the input chain tend to remove high end. So in this case I'd be inclined to look at the cable input configuration as being the problem. Assuming that you're using passive pickups, you need to remember that the the high impedance signal is pretty sensitive to cabling issues.

I didn't find it too degrading until yesterday, but after playing a gig with the lead and the next day a gig with the wireless, the difference was very noticeable, and after A/B'ing them through the venue pa, the glxd sounds weaker and more trebly. No bass loss, just harsher top and weaker signal. I guess I'll have to try and turn up the gain on the glxd and see how that goes.
So front input is still the optimal connection for wireless units?

These are my findings as well. GLXD been harsh and kind of sterile compared to good cable. I bought a Line6 G75 where I can adjust the virtuel cable length. I just got a week a go, so haven't done proper testing, but so far the tone seems more natural than GLXD.

Edo, I have zero problems with my GLX-D going into the front of my Axe-Fx XL.

Gain is set at 0 dB (default), and results in the same level as when using a quality cable.
Sound quality also is the same.

I always use Group 1 (for the least latency) and let the receiver pick a channel.

BTW, the firmware of the GLX-D transmitter and receiver can be updated with the Shure Update Utility.

Reactions: edo
Just passing through and thought I'd post. I've been using a GLXD6 for a while now exclusively. Rehearsals, and gigs no problem with my AX8 or AXE-FX. I have two transmitters for convienance and backup. I am pretty particular and have not noticed any degradation A/Bing mine versus a cable. If there are differences, they are extremely minute. Like Yek, I always use Group 1 and let the receiver pick a channel. I do notice after much use the mini cord from transmitter to guitar can get beat up and fail at the connectors a bit. But I admit sometimes I'm not gentle with them. Spare cords are easy to grab though. Other than that, no tone problems here with the device. I love this unit and the freedom it provides in any context. I use it as my main tuner as well. Oh yeah, Batteries last a long time too. The casing is built like a tank!

Edo, I have zero problems with my GLX-D going into the front of my Axe-Fx XL.

Gain is set at 0 dB (default), and results in the same level as when using a quality cable.
Sound quality also is the same.

I always use Group 1 (for the least latency) and let the receiver pick a channel.

BTW, the firmware of the GLX-D transmitter and receiver can be updated with the Shure Update Utility.

Same here.

#derail

Do any of you find that some Groups have more/less interference from Routers?

That's the only thing I'm always trying to solve on the fly....

#derail

Do any of you find that some Groups have more/less interference from Routers?

That's the only thing I'm always trying to solve on the fly....

That's discussed in the manual.

That's discussed in the manual.
Yeah, I've tried all of their tips/suggestions.....but it's still never consistent.

My favorite quote in the manual is:
"During sound check, mark trouble spots and ask presenters or performers to avoid those areas"

- yeah thanks for the help Shure

Back
Top Bottom