Axe-Fx Std. and Ultra Version 9.03 Firmware Available

FractalAudio said:
For the USA sims and many others setting the HF Resonance to 2.5 results in EXACTLY the same response as 9.00. I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

What if I set it to 2.52, will that sound close to 9.00? :lol:

I kid, I kid...

FractalAudio said:
I don't know what you're trying to say or prove but those clips sound nearly identical.
I'm not trying to prove...i'm trying to check.
I will do a reamp to be sure.

biggness said:
FractalAudio said:
For the USA sims and many others setting the HF Resonance to 2.5 results in EXACTLY the same response as 9.00. I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

I kid, I kid...

I think 2.48 is actually closer to the 9.00 sound. :p

geetarman said:
biggness said:
FractalAudio said:

I kid, I kid...

I think 2.48 is actually closer to the 9.00 sound. :p

It's actually 2.48563785429954123.... but because we only have 2 digit decimal resolution
it will never sound exactly like 9.00 .... but pretty close.

:twisted:

Deltones said:
Anybody noticing a much higher noise output with 9.03 on some amp models? The 800 has this annoying high pitched whine that masks the main sound, which wasn't there before. Tried it with a few others amps and that high-pitched whine is not always there. Tested with default values.

Hmmm... that high-pitched whine on the 800 seem to be related to the bright switch. Removed it and it improved greatly. Can somebody else confirm?

I have noticed this also, but I've noticed that any of the higher gain amps seem noisier unless I have the gate turned on(never used the gate on patches before).

I use an Top Boost with blues as my base tone and I noticed that it is now MUCH warmer and has a "spongey" feeling that it didn't have before(I actually like the way it feels), it was a very cutting/chimey tone, and now it's not and the difference is pretty dramatic. The sound tech at practice tonight told me that I didn't cut like normal and said he missed the old tone. I must be missing something and will build a patch from scratch again. Time to read/tweak some more :) I really like the feel of 9.03... just got to find my chime again. :)

NJ10

It's funny, this is the first time I didn't rush over to my rig and blast it with the new firmware. I've been so happy since 9.02 that I didn't feel the old compulsion. :lol:

Cool new amp! Thanks Cliff!

FractalAudio said:

Where should it be set to replicate, as closely as possible, the real Mesa amps that these sims are modelled on?

joegold said:
FractalAudio said:

Where should it be set to replicate, as closely as possible, the real Mesa amps that these sims are modelled on?

According to Cliff, the new default of 5.00 is correct.

I really appreciate the speaker-resonance feature in 9.03.
It's a nice tool for subtle shaping the amp tone.
Thank you for giving us access to these parameters! :)

njohnson10 said:
Deltones said:
Anybody noticing a much higher noise output with 9.03 on some amp models? The 800 has this annoying high pitched whine that masks the main sound, which wasn't there before. Tried it with a few others amps and that high-pitched whine is not always there. Tested with default values.

Hmmm... that high-pitched whine on the 800 seem to be related to the bright switch. Removed it and it improved greatly. Can somebody else confirm?

I have noticed this also, but I've noticed that any of the higher gain amps seem noisier unless I have the gate turned on(never used the gate on patches before).

I use an Top Boost with blues as my base tone and I noticed that it is now MUCH warmer and has a "spongey" feeling that it didn't have before(I actually like the way it feels), it was a very cutting/chimey tone, and now it's not and the difference is pretty dramatic. The sound tech at practice tonight told me that I didn't cut like normal and said he missed the old tone. I must be missing something and will build a patch from scratch again. Time to read/tweak some more :) I really like the feel of 9.03... just got to find my chime again. :)

NJ10

Alright, glad to see I'm not alone with this. It's when I switched to my Marshall patch that I made with 9.0 and adjusted from 9.02 that I said "What the hell's going on" with 9.03.

That's when I created a simple amp+cab patch and realized that yep, the amp is noisier and the bright switch really makes it worse. Hopefully, Cliff will do a quick test of his own and see if there might be something going on.

The amp models have more high end so they will be a bit noisier. Turn down the treble, presence or HF resonance.

I don't know if this is my imagination, but I'd recorded some stuff with a recto patch at 9.0, and then did the update last night to 9.03. I swear that same patch is tighter and more defined. Sounds REALLY nice. I'm going to have to do a side by side recording to see if it really is.

Great job, Cliff.

FractalAudio said:
The amp models have more high end so they will be a bit noisier. Turn down the treble, presence or HF resonance.

Thanks for the info... it just caught me off guard. I appreciate your efforts.

NJ10

Karl Houseknecht said:
I don't know if this is my imagination, but I'd recorded some stuff with a recto patch at 9.0, and then did the update last night to 9.03. I swear that same patch is tighter and more defined. Sounds REALLY nice. I'm going to have to do a side by side recording to see if it really is.

Great job, Cliff.
Yes, the Rectos are now awesome, maybe they'll replace Das Metall as first choice amp :twisted:

Actually I have to do a new tour of the default preset, the high gain ones sound really better than the last time I did after 9.00.

HI all

Can I ask a dumb question before I upgrade from 9.02 (which I love) to 9.03 - where I would like to try the RV50 model?

I understood that there would be absolutely no change to any of my 9.02sounds, since the new transformer match controls will always default to a position that relates to its setting in 9.02 (although it was not user settable in 9.02).

Then I saw Cliff's response above and it seemed to hint that some of the amp models also got brighter? or is this a reference to the changfe form 9/0 to 9.02?

Am I understanding this right?

I don't mind changing and tweaking and re-auditioning but am short on time right now and have a lot of gigs coming up.

cheers all

Ugh... 9.03 sounds EXACTLY the same as 9.02 if you don't mess with the Resonance parameters.

DigitalGuitarist said:
This is a great feature of Axe-Edit! But I think there might be a bug (v0.9.102), or maybe just plain ol' user error...?

I go to Settings > Load Config > Run Profiler, which seems to detect the new features in firmware v9.03 just fine. For example, when I add AMP1, I can see both "CAROLANNOD2" and "CITRUS RV50" as options in the Amp's "Effect List" drop-down. But if I attempt to select the new "CITRUS RV50" option, it instead selects "CAROLANNOD2" -- both in Axe-Edit and the Axe-FX. Ironically, I don't experience any issues selecting the new "BRIT JM45" option in the Tonestack Type drop-down.

Same problem here. The new resonance parameters dont show up either.

butzel said:
DigitalGuitarist said:
This is a great feature of Axe-Edit! But I think there might be a bug (v0.9.102), or maybe just plain ol' user error...?

I go to Settings > Load Config > Run Profiler, which seems to detect the new features in firmware v9.03 just fine. For example, when I add AMP1, I can see both "CAROLANNOD2" and "CITRUS RV50" as options in the Amp's "Effect List" drop-down. But if I attempt to select the new "CITRUS RV50" option, it instead selects "CAROLANNOD2" -- both in Axe-Edit and the Axe-FX. Ironically, I don't experience any issues selecting the new "BRIT JM45" option in the Tonestack Type drop-down.

Same problem here. The new resonance parameters dont show up either.

Go get the new version of the editor just released.

Back
Top Bottom