Axe Fx just for home: who else does it?

I don't understand this question of can I justify the cost of this for home. I never thought about questioning when I was purchasing a guitar amp, about should I buy this amp if I'm just using it at home?

We buy guitar amps because we love the sound, whether were just playing it at home, or playing it live. The only thing should be influenced about home versus live, simply the wattage.

Most high-quality tube amp heads, run around $2000 or more each. Perfect example would be a mesa boogie mark five, your typical high end Marshall head, etc. Then you gonna spend anywhere from $700-$1000 for a speaker cabinet depending on what cabinet you're looking for.

If you're just looking at price, I really don't see the difference. Even if you were buying the AXE-FX, just for one amp model. What would be the difference?

So let's compare this to buying it, or a high-end amp and cabinet.

I'm brand-new to all of this, so I'm not a full-blown fanboy like 99.9% of users around here seem to be. Maybe I'll develop into that, but I'm not there yet. I have to expect my slow approach to getting to that high percentage rate, is I just need more time getting more familiar with the unit.

Last week my AX8 arrived, and I've been playing with it every day since. I recently received a Friedman ASM 12, a couple of days ago of which I started incorporating into it.

I'm having to make the decision right now, to offset the cost of the above two items, do I sell my Suhr Badger 35 along with my Mesa boogie rectifier 4x12 cabinet?

Or do I return my AX8, along with the Friedman?

I have to be honest, at this point, I'm just not sure.

I was hoping the decision would be a no-brainer, not even make me think twice, but unfortunately it's not that simple.

I would say if a person typically finds that tend to use one trick pony guitar amps, and really doesn't need more than one or two various overdrive type pedals to get all the tone varieties they are looking for, I say don't waste your money on the AXE-FX or AX8.

I spent an entire day, downloading various other people's presets, to get the AX8 along with the Friedman ASM 12, to sound as identical as possible to the real amp, and the real 4x12.

I could get it pretty close, but no matter what I did, just couldn't get the feel of moving air in depth of tone out of the AX8. Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have the badger and the boogie cabinet, and was just listening to the AX8, I'd be screaming from the rooftops that it's freaking awesome!

Also placing my to go to pedals that I put in front of my badger, that makes it surreal sounding, just don't have the same effect when placed in front of the AX8.

Suhr KokoBoost

Wampler Tom Quale Dual Fusion

That being said, if I wanted, needed, to have a lot of diverse tones, that sounded simply freaking awesome, no question about it, there is no other Modler out there like this, and I have tried them all, nothing like the AXE-FX, or the AX8.

So what am I going to do, honestly, I'm still not sure. But what I know for sure he is, until I make that decision I'm gonna keep playing the hell out of my AX8!

I look at it this way: it's my intense hobby. Some guys fish. They spend lots of money on a boat and equipment. Are they looking to make a living off of it? No. Some guys golf. Again, that can cost big bucks between all the clubs, tee times, maybe membership. They're not heading to the PGA. I've always felt people look at music differently, that if we buy guitars, amps etc. these are impractical toys. Maybe, but no more so than the fishing and golfing crowd.

And like anyone with a hobby, you want to do it right and do it well. The Axe Fx is the first piece of equipment outside of my guitar that I feel lets me really do what I want to do. Even if it what I am doing is what I did yesterday, which was spend an hour just noodling with my favorite presets. I've only had mine for 5 months, so I am almost in the denial stage; I can't believe something sounds this good. I just want to play and play when I hook into this thing. Not because I'm going to make a hit record or take the stage with thousands of screaming fans, but just because beautiful sounding music provides an intense joy.

So I'll echo what others have said. I f you can afford it (and I spent several years saving up) do it.

I 100% agree with you.

I don't gig or even really jam with anyone anymore. I have two Atomic CLR's for stereo ear candy with my Axe FX. Totally overkill and I love it. Low volumes with a litany of amps at my disposal. Zero regrets. If you can afford to, why the hell not and if money got tight I'd sell my left nut to do it all over again.

I use mine at home for recording and practice. Maybe one day when im not so insecure I'll play live at open mics or whatever, but for the moment, I'm perfectly happy with it. Absolutely the best piece of gear I've ever owned, probably WILL ever own.

p.s. I didn't buy it, my girlfriend really likes buying me things without asking me first. So one day, I see the UPS truck stop in front of our apartment and she says "Ooh your present is here". I was blown away. I had wanted one since the Standard days and then out of nowhere, BOOM I'm the proud owner of Mark II XL+. Granted I had all sorts of feelings, guilt, joy, apprehension etc. I wanted to send it back and make my lady use the money on more reasonable purchases like shoes or takeout chinese but she told me that my future is guitar and music and this will help me get there, and well, I couldn't argue with that.
It's nice to have someone who believes in your dreams and is willing to drop major dough to help you realize them.

In any case, I say go for it. I couldn't imagine not having an Axe Fx. If something ever happened to it, I dunno what I would do. Cry, curse the gods, cry some more. I love this thing.

I find this whole discussion utterly ridiculous. If all you guys could actually see what I've invested in my personal hobbies I think those of you who are questioning this decision, would be floored. I have a home studio, that would rival most professional studios.

I get it, the question is probably coming from a young kid, who doesn't have a lot of money, been there done that, as many of you have if not are already experiencing. The guy who posted before about Lotsa guys have their boats, they have their Harley Davidson's, they have all kinds of other toys that they like to invest in, ours is music, this is our passion, there should be no limit other than your financial limitations!

I just bought a $5000 Taylor acoustic guitar, it's what I wanted, and I can afford it. I wish everyone else could , but I understand respectfully that not everybody can afford to do that.

I don't say when I say here, to boast, please don't think for one second that. I have been blessed, and not for one second I have I not appreciated that fact. I am though much older than most of you, I'm in my 50s, I've been playing guitar since I was 15 years old, and recording and playing music is my passion, I don't want to boat, I don't want to Harley Davidson, I want more guitars, I want more amps, I want more compressors, I want more EQ's, I want more great microphones, and I'm going to continue pursue this as long as my wife supports me in it. Why, because I love making music! By what you can afford, work hard, be responsible with your finances, you have extra cash, my suggestion is by quality. Buy used if you can, that's always the best choice, and no matter what, enjoy every minute of making music!

I use mine at home for recording and practice. Maybe one day when im not so insecure I'll play live at open mics or whatever, but for the moment, I'm perfectly happy with it. Absolutely the best piece of gear I've ever owned, probably WILL ever own.

p.s. I didn't buy it, my girlfriend really likes buying me things without asking me first. So one day, I see the UPS truck stop in front of our apartment and she says "Ooh your present is here". I was blown away. I had wanted one since the Standard days and then out of nowhere, BOOM I'm the proud owner of Mark II XL+. Granted I had all sorts of feelings, guilt, joy, apprehension etc. I wanted to send it back and make my lady use the money on more reasonable purchases like shoes or takeout chinese but she told me that my future is guitar and music and this will help me get there, and well, I couldn't argue with that.
It's nice to have someone who believes in your dreams and is willing to drop major dough to help you realize them.

In any case, I say go for it. I couldn't imagine not having an Axe Fx. If something ever happened to it, I dunno what I would do. Cry, curse the gods, cry some more. I love this thing.
OK, it's time for the ring, you've got a great girl there, under no circumstances let her go!

I find this whole discussion utterly ridiculous. If all you guys could actually see what I've invested in my personal hobbies I think those of you who are questioning this decision, would be floored. I have a home studio, that would rival most professional studios.

If you find the "whole discussion so utterly ridiculous", you're under no obligation to post here...
This thread did just fine without you before, and will no doubt live long after you're out of it.

Well that's an obnoxious response. So who do you think you are to tell anybody what they can and can't do?

You have every right in the world to disagree with my opinion, and I wouldn't fault you for one second for doing so. Next time worry about you, and I'll worry about me. Deal?

I think of it this way; if I didn't spend the money on guitar gear, I'd probably take another another (likely more expensive) hobby such as buying a boat, or a motorcycle, or playing golf etc. Compared to the cost of buying something like a boat or motorcycle (which frankly I'd only probably have time to ride once or twice a month) the Axe-Fx is a fantastic bargain, relatively speaking.

A tube amp, sounds good loud :oops:
Axe does not need all this volume, for playing so well ;)
And with a small monitor, you can entertain the same
USB socket records easily on DAW
Maybe, he has more in the house "PLUS"
It all depends on your wallet :(

As a musician who dabbles in recording and gigs a lot, this system is so versatile in all settings that if you have a way to listen to yourself (be it headphones, monitors, or a cab) there really isn't a reason not to.

Well that's an obnoxious response. So who do you think you are to tell anybody what they can and can't do?

You have every right in the world to disagree with my opinion, and I wouldn't fault you for one second for doing so. Next time worry about you, and I'll worry about me. Deal?
No deal...and it's like I said earlier.

I'm using Sennheiser HD650 headphones and just got the Friedman ASM-12. Both sound excellent, very articulate. You can run the ASM at near 0 volume so you don't make your cat go hide. I can't say enough good things about the ASM!

I have the axe ii I run it through a PA at home with Eon 15s and can play at paint peeling volume or conversation levels...
I was gearing up to play live here and all the clubs closed down no live music no bands for the most part
so I mainly play at home these days... I just setup the axe II through the PA so I could practice singing and playing at same time and not
bother the neighbors unless I want to bother the neighbors.. My goal was to be comfortable like I am at home and have the same consistent tone every night and day and be able to roll out with the PA and gig in case I found the right players too gig with...
I thought it would be good for me to use exactly the same thing I use at home to be comfortable on stage as I get nervous
on stage ive played live plenty of times but im always uncomfortable or worried about what to play or how my sound will be..

If I have to die by firing squad I figured it best to be comfortable and know my sound is going to be great..
I tend to relax more and just play then knowing ive done my homework..
That said I still get nervous before and on stage but thats mostly not knowing what will be played beforehand
I dont think that will ever go away but thats on me to practice and learn more tunes....

I dont like playing cold not knowing whats going to be thrown at me and so if im going down in flames,
I will damn sure sound good doing it if I screw up thats on me for not knowing more tunes...
All dressed up and nowhere to go now though most of the clubs closed down and the ones that are open
want you to play acoustic or sing karaoke ill pass on that.. But if they allowed a full band or even jam night situation
then id be able to sound great at any volume if they tell me YOU need to turn that down please I will still have my sound....

Thats all I ever wanted anyway so I just bought the axe ii and then someone said well you can run that through your PA and sing and play
at same time and so thats what I did... Mostly around here you have to sing to call the shots or songs and you mix your own sound mostly so I just killed 3 birds with one stone..

I bought my own Pa I run the axe ii through that and I can sing and still not be too loud..

I win the club owner says turn it down I still sound killer .. From what I read here you scored both so your set...

agreed best investment ive ever made towards happiness and tone and pacifying my own damn demons..

The only thing I can bitch about now is not knowing 500 songs I did this to force myself to sing and learn
to relax get comfortable KNOW my sound is the best I can get it before I show up and I KNOW how it will sound
by doing that I learned my gear and PA better and I can work on singing and playing so if things do come back around and they will
Ill have my parts down and be able to sing .. Dont want to sing or front a band Id rather just play guitar but it is what it is...

Is all this overkill ? perhaps but it sure puts a smile on my face...
I feel had I had this 30 years ago instead of worrying about my tone or sound id know 500 tunes now
but along the way I paid those dues so I dont regret it and I learned about those other tube amps I needed to get out
of my system... Now I have those and then some and at any volume..

Win win I learned the gear learned how to work the axe and PA know my gear now and exactly what to expect.

If I had to adjust something on the fly and did not have a laptop I can do so from front panel which I was taught that way
right about then axe edit came out but I know both so im less worried about gear and more concerned on the music which is
the most important thing to play for the song and band and to make the audience happy..

Im just a highway man or side man and I wanted to have a pro approach so here I am..

I mix my own sound I know where I sit in the mix and I was taught how to set the axe to be in the GUITAR range and not
step on others toes frequency wise.. I had a great Teacher and mentor he taught me how to get going then forced me to learn the rest
and get a handle on it..

Best thing that could have ever happened too me..

You wont regret your purchases... Or the learning curve as it will give you confidence and we all need that...

I'm using Sennheiser HD650 headphones and just got the Friedman ASM-12. Both sound excellent, very articulate. You can run the ASM at near 0 volume so you don't make your cat go hide. I can't say enough good things about the ASM!

The Sennheiser HD650 is a fantastic headphone! One of my two favorite headphones (the other being the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro).

The HD650's sound great through many sources (headphone out on phone / tablet / computer, portable music player, external audio interface headphone out, AxeFX II headphone out, etc) albeit a touch dark with a low power headphone amp like those in the listed sources above. They really come to life through a high powered headphone amp, even more so when used through an amp with a balanced headphone out (requires an aftermarket cable to completely separate the headphone left and right drivers). Dynamic response improves, treble comes up just a bit providing a more balanced frequency response, and the HD650 maintains it's relaxed presentation despite being a bit brighter. I have a couple of dedicated headphone amps (a Little Dot Mark III all tube headphone amp and a Schiit Jotunheim solid state balanced headphone amp).

The HD650's are an absolute joy to listen through regardless, and they scale well with amps better capable of driving them to their full potential. Warm, with nice bass extension, treble extension, a rich midrange, pleasant highs, spacious soundstage, excellent instrument separation, and they resolve an amazing level of detail across the entire frequency range. Vocals, strings, guitar, and saxophone really shine in this headphone. Additionally, their extremely comfortable and, due in part to their relaxed presentation, are non-fatiguing even through long listening sessions. The HD650 is the headphone I would take with me if I had to relocate to the proverbial remote desert island if I could also take a dedicated headphone amp - that would be the Schiit Jotunheim (no dedicated headphone amp and I'd grab the beyer DT 1990 Pro's instead - I'd rather listen to this headphone through the Little Dot Mark III but the DT 1990 Pro but I'm quite pleased with their performance through any source - it maintains its balanced frequency response and dynamics regardless).

Did I mention that I really like the HD650's? :D

Last edited:
You don't want a Harley??
Ya wierdo!

Thanks
Pauly

I get it, the question is probably coming from a young kid, who doesn't have a lot of money, been there done that, as many of you have if not are already experiencing. The guy who posted before about Lotsa guys have their boats, they have their Harley Davidson's, they have all kinds of other toys that they like to invest in, ours is music, this is our passion, there should be no limit other than your financial limitations!

I just bought a $5000 Taylor acoustic guitar, it's what I wanted, and I can afford it. I wish everyone else could , but I understand respectfully that not everybody can afford to do that.

I don't say when I say here, to boast, please don't think for one second that. I have been blessed, and not for one second I have I not appreciated that fact. I am though much older than most of you, I'm in my 50s, I've been playing guitar since I was 15 years old, and recording and playing music is my passion, I don't want to boat, I don't want to Harley Davidson, I want more guitars, I want more amps, I want more compressors, I want more EQ's, I want more great microphones, and I'm going to continue pursue this as long as my wife supports me in it. Why, because I love making music! By what you can afford, work hard, be responsible with your finances, you have extra cash, my suggestion is by quality. Buy used if you can, that's always the best choice, and no matter what, enjoy every minute of making music!

Back
Top Bottom