Axe Fx just for home: who else does it?

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:Soooooooo, slight plot twist guys....

Sold my Fx8 on reverb and the next day while cruising the site for a Mark II, an Ax8 (with ev-1) that had been listed for all of 2 minutes, came into my crosshairs... listed for the same price as what I had just sold the Fx8 for... plus shipping.

What did I do? Pulled the trigger.

Figured I just got an amp/cab sim upgrade and EV-1 for the cost of shipping.

God bless America, looks like I'm taking the baby step program into the fractal audio universe. See you guys on the Ax8 thread next week! ;) ;) ;)

Love my afx2 at home uniquely.
My best gear buy !
Even if I have other gears like tubeamp & pedals, my afx is the best gear you can dream to play at home.
Whats more i plug my real pedals in the afx and it is just... Great.

Newbie here. I see that most of the guys have separate monitors AND headphones. Why not just use one thing?
You can use your headphones to listen to other devices too.

You can use your headphones when you can't turn up your monitors (late night/sleeping family members/neighbours)

You can use your headphones when your monitors are away getting fixed or you've flogged them and waiting for your new ones

I could go on ...... ??

I suspect there are plenty of hobbyist/home use only people with a rack of guitars costing mega bucks (and probably a few boutique amps too) so spending another 2, 3 or 4 thousand is not going to phase them.

You could put together a rig of all current Fractal products and it still would cost less than half the price of some top end Private Stock PRS guitars out there.

I bought a custom 24 new in February and in June I had to send it back due to the finish peeling off as the fret board meets the neck on the 13-14th fret. I still haven't got it back yet and it could be another month.....so....we shall see how the repair goes.

I have an SE 24 custom, SE Torero and a Tremonti (all Korean)...and have zero issue with any of them. I'm surprised you had a paint/ finish issue, but I guess it also happens to every manufacturer.

I don't actually know but I'm guessing the SE range is more of a polly based finish where as the full fat PRSs are what you would find on a classic instrument.
I could be wrong.

I have a custom 22 SE with PRS tremonti and vintage bass pickups and that's fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 3
I think there is still a lot of sanity in the pricing of guitars and related equipment. For £1500 I can buy a Strat Deluxe which is a beautiful guitar and will give years of pleasure. Don't buy what you cannot afford. At the same time, if you are going to use something a lot, spend what you can on it. Makes me laugh when I see something like "The Axe FX is way too expensive - Sent from my iPhone 6". Get a cheaper phone!

This year I went from Axe-FX IIXL on stage and at home to just the AX8 on stage and Axe-FX IIXL at home. I just didn't want to haul around the Axe-FX and the MFC. The back was giving me too much trouble. Getting old sucks, but hell if I'm gonna stop.

Newbie here. I see that most of the guys have separate monitors AND headphones. Why not just use one thing?

Headphones: The advantage here is obvious - loud as the player wants without disturbing others. Headphones have disadvantages though - like no controllable feedback for instance.

Powered monitors or power amp & guitar cab: Sometimes you just gotta move some air. :) Sometimes out of necessity (gigging, rehearsal, jam session, etc) and sometimes just for the sheer joy of it.

Having both options is always nice, even if unnecessary. Budget may dictate a user's options. For the home user on a budget and with no 'need' for a loud monitoring system headphones are where the bang for your buck performance may be found. A $200 pair of Beyerdynamic DT-250 80 ohm headphones will be far more accurate (and thus likely more enjoyable to hear oneself play through) than any powered monitor solution anywhere near this price point. I was $450 into a pair of nearfield studio monitors (Equator D5's) before I even approached the audible performance of the DT-250 headphones, and $1,600 into powered monitors (Atomic CLR powered wedges) to surpass the performance of the DT-250's.

I have other headphones as well, including the well-regarded Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro's (also very enjoyable to use with the AxeFX II) as well as standalone headphone amps and a dedicated DAC. For use with the AxeFX II I prefer accurate representation of its output over a hyped sound - most of the time - and the DT-250's are at an excellent price/performance point for this purpose. I believe one would have to spend well more than three times the DT-250's asking price to find any significant performance gains in accuracy.

Likewise one would most likely be looking at more than twice the now $500 price of the Equator D5 Studio monitors for any performance gains.

I don't believe there is a more accurate playback solution than the powered Atomic CLR monitors available anywhere near their price point. I put my money into the CLR's because I have other uses for them besides blowing the windows out of my house playing guitar (they are currently my favorite music playback system of any I've owned or spent time using, and by a very wide margin.

Some headphones were already here when I bought my AxeFX, some followed later (I like headphones quite a lot). The AxeFX pretty well drove the upgrade in studio monitors and the purchase of the Atomic CLR's. The sale of tube amps for which I no longer had a use helped pay for the new monitors and CLR's.

As always YMMV and IMHO, of course. :)

I've been using mine at home only. As many said is that overkill, probably. Is it worth it, abso-freakin-lutely.

That said, I do have a little "home studio" that I would eventually like to start reamping/mixing/mastering other peoples music.

Back
Top Bottom