Axe Fx just for home: who else does it?

Wow, so many replies! This is really helpful and allot of what I'm hearing resonates.

I figure selling off the mark v and fx8 would cover the cost of a Mark II and get me started toward an upgrade from my LSR305s.

Great feedback here fellas, thanks a load for your insights.

I use it solely for home playing and recording - I'm a kind of 'serious hobbyist' in that I actually release albums which have been reviewed in the mainstream press (sometimes pretty favourably) but they sell absolutely f-all so I'll never get to give up the day job unfortunately. When I play outside of the house (which I do a lot) it's all acoustic bluegrass/old time stuff.

The Axe FX II is more than worth the investment IMO. It's probably the best piece of audio gear I've ever bought.

Cant be beat for home playing. You can get the same tones at 1pm in the afternoon when you've got the house to yourself, as you can at 1am when everyone else is sleeping.

I've owned so many amps that sounded awful because I never could crank them to the point where they sounded good 90% of the time. Sucked having great amps and barely wanting to plug into them because you had to have the MV down so low that the hum of the amp was nearly as loud as the tone of the guitar, speaker wasn't moving any air etc.

Most amps just don't make sense for home use, unless maybe you either a) live in the country and b) live alone or have an understanding spouse.

If you've got gigs each week, then its cool, or maybe you've got a rehersal space you can drive over to and be as loud as you want, but if you live in an apt, have kids in the house who go to bed early, a typical wife etc etc, you'll be far happier with a modeler than any low watt amp, attenuaters, iso cabs etc

With my Axe II and CLR I can dial in a JCM or Friedman and get the tone of that amp dimed, through a 4x12, but at a volume level where someone in the next room doesn't even wake up. Then even cooler, is if/when I want it louder, that tone still sounds just as good. Totally scale-able (with some slight tweaks for FM, band mixes etc of course) but you get the idea

My Axe Fx II and MFC have yet to leave my home studio. In all honesty if I was playing in a bar I'd bring my TC VoiceLive 3 Extreme and my Peavey Vypyr 30 and Sanpera I, I can get a good sound with that without lugging too much gear.

Yes - Your life will be much easier with the AXE FX 2.
I purchased the AX8 last June for a similar reason - it is so easy - power it up and play.
You can usually find something your in the mood for quickly for practice.
Of course - if you like the deep editing in the SW, than another plus.

Good luck!

FWIW, I switched from tube amps to modeling (not the AFX, initially) in 2004. No regrets. I sold my last three small amps (4W, 12W and 20W) earlier this year after having pulled them out of storage and (re)discovering that they're far too loud to crank at home.

I love that I can wind up a Twin Reverb model without making my ears bleed. I can get the sound I like, the drummer gets to play with dynamics, and none of us needs earplugs to get through a session.

By all means, make the leap... :)

Home use only here. Everything you need and more.

Buy used - you can get your investment back if you change your mind.

Mine has never left the house, either. I bought it originally so I could get cranked amp tones at conversational levels or do recording, then if I ever did get out somewhere I'd already have the tones I want. Best piece of gear I've ever owned outside of the guitars themselves.

I use the Axe FX for more than just home use, but I think it excels in that role extremely well. I have almost 30 years of playing behind me through mostly vintage-type amps. I love how the Axe nails those cranked amp tones at low volume, although I still prefer a bit of healthy volume to get in the zone. When I can't do that though, I can still get a killer tone and feel at low volumes or w/ headphones... which if often where I'm at these days w/ a wife and kids now. I used to use small low-wattage amps w/ pedals for those scenarios, and I find the Axe to be a much better solution. I still like cranking up amps w/ a band though- nice to have both options.

Hi all,

Longtime tube amp guy who got his feet wet with the FX8 and was MORE blown away at how awesome FX8 Edit is to use (building and tweaking to perfection), than just the killer effects quality of this unit by itself. I was initially put off by how deep this stuff goes and was pretty intimidated, but now, I'm wondering if the Axe Fx II is the way to go. My only concern (and was hoping you guys could shed some light) is that this unit is overkill for what I do.

My current setup is a Mark V 25 with 1x12 mini rectifier and the FX8 going into a Focusrite then to Logic Pro X. The tones I chase are Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, and certain metal tones (not djent). Opeth is a good example of my tonal pallet aims.

I'm not a rockstar, or even a gigging musician. I just write and record music at home and once in a while with friends, hit an open mic night with some of our tunes. Active wedges or power amps are not a concern for me now, I'm not going to be going above bedroom volumes often, is ever.

Is the awesomeness of the full blown Axe Fx II overkill for what I'm doing and will be doing for the immediate future? Does anyone else find the investment worth it for just home or studio use? If anyone can share their 2 cents it would be much appreciated by me.

I have an Axe FX XL+ and a Mastermind GT22 and I only use them at home. Horrible overkill. But everything is setup so that I can run downstairs and start jamming away at a moments notice without feeling like the equipment is limiting me/getting in my way. I have more money than I have time (or skill at the guitar! :D ), so that's important.
-
Austin

A LOT of the players I work with are "home enthusiasts" only. They often tell me that love how the quality of the tones our products produce is "an inspiration" and takes "enjoyment" to a new level. I think they'd tell you that it is totally justifiable to take one's favorite pastime to the highest level.

When you compare the huge amounts of money that people spend on less active "hobbies" like watching sports, collecting, or home theater, an Axe-Fx seems pretty modest in comparison, and also supports musicianship, which progressively develops your brain and provides a sense of accomplishment and discipline.

Last edited:
Guess I'll jump back in here. I use my FX at home, in recording and on stage. What I have come to appreciate more with each passing day is what an excellent tone tool it really is. I can build presets at home, use them in recording, and then save them in sets so I can use the same presets on stage. This allows me to capture the "gee that sounds just like the record" kudos. The result is, a) my tone has never been better, and b) it does sound like the record. Cliff, Matt and the FAS team have done more for the guitar community than anything since the unwound G string (at least in some cases).

Another old guy here who solely uses AXEFX at home for a passion/hobby. I started playing again last Fall (2015) after a long hiatus (nearly 25 years) and play for pure enjoyment of learning and jammin ... someday I hope to have enough proficiency to jam with others as I miss that bit but I need to develop my skills. That aside, the AXEFX is perfect for what I want to do, and then you add in what FAS does for support and FW updates and it's just a killer piece of gear. Learning is fun as is just grooving to a set of tunes. Great time to be alive with access to any source music (spotify, etc.), learning (youtube) and amazing modeller/fx with AXEFX.

I've had other passions as well (e.g. competitive driving (cars) and shooting (both pistols and long distance precision rifle)), and what someone posted earlier is absolutely gospel ... if you have the desire and can pay, you can play. You don't need anyone else's permission. I still own the cars and firearms, and now budget allocations are reapportioned to cool guitars and eventually lessons again (no other GAS 'cuz the AXEFX covers that angle.) Best musical instrument purchase ever! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom