Axe-Fx III wait list: Let us know when you get notified...

Just installed the trial of Helix Native last night and found the presets to be pretty bad until I used custom IR’s. It pretty much convinced me to stay patient with the AF3 and not consider a Helix. Although I have heard great sounds from it, I’ve heard way more impressive sounds from the stock presets in my AF Ultra and 2 XL +.

You make a good argument for companies to make sure their products ship with great presets. A great first impression will pay off by avoiding unnecessary uncertainty.

Just installed the trial of Helix Native last night and found the presets to be pretty bad until I used custom IR’s. It pretty much convinced me to stay patient with the AF3 and not consider a Helix. Although I have heard great sounds from it, I’ve heard way more impressive sounds from the stock presets in my AF Ultra and 2 XL +.

I have Helix Native and I agree, it really does take some work. The modeling is capable, but you have to spend a long time dressing it up to get it to sound good. IRs are a must, and you often find yourself using the internal routing to compensate for the shortcomings of the sound. You'll do two amps together, each into two separate cab IRs, so you have good bass, mid and treble, crossover filters, you name it. In the end you end up with a good sound, but you have to use every inch of the unit's capability to get there.

I just want to load up a Soldano SLO-100 amp, and rip. I don't want to have to make anything below 220Hz a Mesa model, and anything between 220 and 1600 a 5150, and have to split between a Bogner cabinet and a Marshall cabinet to get the sound right, and then have to throw on a ten band EQ at the end to roll off the highs and control the mids and so on and so on, which is basically what you have to do with Helix.

Having said that, the value for money is amazing. A Helix rack is 1/3 the price of an Axe FX 3 here. That's pretty damned competitive.

Whoa that H9000 is crazy! Just curious what it can do that the Axe 3 doesn't already do.

Only a few hours in but, wow...

Imagine that you have 16 Eventide H9's each with 3 more H9s in it's effects loop... Yeah, it's something like that...

I think that a) that's why a signature is required for delivery and b) I am pretty sure that 99.999% of the population has no idea what an Axe Fx III is.

I posted a picture of my box on social media. I had friends "Like" the picture. With most of them I thought why did they like a picture of a box? I know they for sure don't know what it is. Then my less cynical side said they can tell it most be good for me if I posted it. After all I have never posted an Amazon box. haha.

Can you program custom harmonies?

Yes. Check out the H8000 preset manual for Diatonic Shifters.

Actually, I stand (sit) corrected. The H8000 algorithm is "Custom Scale Pitch Shifters" and hasn't made it to the H9000 yet.

Maybe this needs a new thread?

Last edited:
Yeah, but what do you do with 16 H9s?

Eventide's algorithms are quite nice. For a studio setting, having the equivalent of 16 H9s would have some advantages.

I had a pedalboard with a only a tuner and a couple H9s on it-- as a bass player, those two units were pretty much all I needed for effects. However, Eventide does zero amp/cab simulation. When my band switched to IEMs and all of going out through a PA, I wasn't able to get the bass amp/cab tones I wanted. The Axe Fx III (I hope) will give me everything Eventide was able to offer, much more flexibility, and amp/cab simulation that I'm missing.

Eventide's algorithms are quite nice. For a studio setting, having the equivalent of 16 H9s would have some advantages.

I had a pedalboard with a only a tuner and a couple H9s on it-- as a bass player, those two units were pretty much all I needed for effects. However, Eventide does zero amp/cab simulation. When my band switched to IEMs and all of going out through a PA, I wasn't able to get the bass amp/cab tones I wanted. The Axe Fx III (I hope) will give me everything Eventide was able to offer, much more flexibility, and amp/cab simulation that I'm missing.

Indeed. The H9000 isn't for live use or even in the same use category for me as the Axe. A different tool altogether. Sorry for polluting the thread...

Indeed. The H9000 isn't for live use or even in the same use category for me as the Axe. A different tool altogether. Sorry for polluting the thread...
Yeah I would love to see a separate thread about the H9000. I am a big fan or their atmospheric stuff like Blackhole and Space. The H9 is cool, but I think it only runs one algorithm at a time, so something like the H9000 would be a dream.

Congrats Reclavea, that's a very nice and happy family over there...
BTW, when did you joined the waiting list?

I got on the waitlist Jan. 30th, 2018.

I got my invitation to purchase on March 24th, 2018.

So about a month and 3 weeks before I got my invitation.'

However, I could not complete the order until April 14th. I had to do some type of arrangement financially to complete the payment. Dang....GAS ;-(

I believe there is not a time limit or expiration for the invitations. :)

I got on the waitlist Jan. 30th, 2018.

I got my invitation to purchase on March 24th, 2018.

So about a month and 3 weeks before I got my invitation.'

However, I could not complete the order until April 14th. I had to do some type of arrangement financially to complete the payment. Dang....GAS ;-(

I believe there is not a time limit or expiration for the invitations. :)
You must mean Jan 29?

They haven't got to 1/30 yet... ;)

Back
Top Bottom