Axe fx III vs Axe fx II XL+ discussion

My experience is each Axe has it’s own personality. My old Ultra has a few presets I prefer over the XL I had or the III I currently have. Even the XL had one or two presets I liked better than the III. Ultimately due to foot switch upgrades, editing advances, recording connections the III won out for daily use. Sold the XL because the couple of presets I liked better weren’t keep worthy. I did keep the Ultra because it has some serious uniqueness. Paired with a Strymon Big Sky is slobberville.

Yes that's what i'm thinking about. Either i don't have limit budget, start to spend a lot of money on a thing that you're not totally sure about would be a mistake. I've bought a mesa boogie triple rectifier when i was really young but i didn't know how amps worked and i leaved on an appartment so i had to sell it because it was totally not adapted to me at this point of my life (i didn't lose money but this mistake remind me to avoid buying stuff for nothing, i'm not a 25 guitars guy at all)

So as you said, why not starting with a XL+ to understand and learn how it works, sell it and buy the III version if i'm feeling good with that ?

I think it's the more intelligent way to introduce fractal in my life but i'm not 100% sure.

I'll contact g66 to find a shop where i can finally test different versions or at least one version.

Remember some thing said above.
The III interface is more easier to programming.

Besides, the “how it works” have the same essence. Modifiers (after learning, you will love them) are more powerful on the III and more easy to read too.

If money is not a wall to block you now, get the III.

I love the xl+, and said thanks to its and to standard as well. They give many happy moments.
But the III is another step.

For me, the III is almost perfect in the ultimate level (at this moment, I only need a global blocks name and one or other thing).

About the III, as I like to say, I have waited my entire life for that effect processor.

Without good monitoring in a good room, any modeler has the potential to sound like a can of bees.

Once that is solved, I would recommend getting the 3.

The 3 has more amps, has a bigger sound due to improvements in the algorithms, more routing options, a better foot controller, and doesn't have the potential of problems with the unit happening through years of previous owner abuse.

I always recommend purchasing the flagship model of anything tech related. Improvements may be slow to migrate or not possible due to the compromises made to fit in a more portable format.

Buy the flagship once, cry once. Buy the non-flagship and you are more likely playing gear roulette of selling it to buy a flagship, therefore crying multiple times.

I really loved how the set list option worked on the mfc101 with the IIxl. not quite sure how the new set list editor works on the fc 12 as I just use the preset tool to change set list songs.

So as you said, why not starting with a XL+ to understand and learn how it works, sell it and buy the III version if i'm feeling good with that ?

I think it's the more intelligent way to introduce fractal in my life but i'm not 100% sure.

I'll contact g66 to find a shop where i can finally test different versions or at least one version.
In my opinion, there are enough things different about the modeling and software of the III that I think it is better to start there rather than learning two devices. You would have to dial in the new tone on the III from scratch.

Also, when I upgraded from the II to the III, it was more than just the software: The devices are different rack sizes (2U vs 3U), so I had to buy a new rack case. Footswitch and cables they use are different, requiring not only buying the new footswitch and a new bag for it, but also completely re-envisioning what I wanted the footswitch to do. Then there was the hassle of selling the old gear.

I used the II for several years before upgrading and I would never consider going back to the II. If I had to start over, I would not consider the II.

It would make more sense to start with an FM3 or FM9 and upgrade to the Axe FX III later.

Last edited:
Without good monitoring in a good room, any modeler has the potential to sound like a can of bees.

Once that is solved, I would recommend getting the 3.

The 3 has more amps, has a bigger sound due to improvements in the algorithms, more routing options, a better foot controller, and doesn't have the potential of problems with the unit happening through years of previous owner abuse.

I always recommend purchasing the flagship model of anything tech related. Improvements may be slow to migrate or not possible due to the compromises made to fit in a more portable format.

Buy the flagship once, cry once. Buy the non-flagship and you are more likely playing gear roulette of selling it to buy a flagship, therefore crying multiple times.
Yeah you're also totally right, got the same experience with IT technologies in general

Last edited:
The axe 3 is better, by how much and if it's worth 1300 euros is subjective.

The Axe FX3 is still receiving updates. If you want to test the waters of the 3's algos you could go for one of the FM floor unit versions then upgrade later.

Personally i wouldn't buy a 2, even if it meant saving more money. When I upgraded from a 2 --> 3 I was kicking myself i didn't do it earlier.

The interface, controls and connections only really became a finished article on the three, to the point in wondering what could they possibly do in a four. As for sound they are both really good. Plenty of twos still out there in pro racks. Are you the guy that has to have the new one of everything? Is a plexi model from 2 back to back with one from 3 that different?

everybody seems to have the same experiences, last version change everybody's live compaire with older versions. Is there any french living in the luxembourg border that own an axe fx III by any chances ? :p

Hello,

First of all sorry if this kind of post already exists.

So I'm looking to upgrade my gear. I've never had quality gear except for the electric guitar of my dreams. I live in an apartment and play mostly by myself, preferring to concentrate on my musical skills rather than getting lost in the search for the perfect sound.

But today, I'm looking to get a really professional sound and I'm thinking of getting an axe fx but I don't really know what to choose.

My logic is as follows: I'm planning to buy a second-hand one, as there are some in very good condition in my country.
I find the axe fx II XL + around 1000euros vs 2300e for axe fx III.

So my question is very simple: is the 1300 euro difference really worth it?

After some comparative research, I often come across comments like "the sound is better or this is better". For me, this answer makes very little sense, given that the Axis Fx II already offers very high quality sound.
Having a very, very high quality sound would make no difference to me as a beginner in studio engineering.

What would you advise me to do?

Please give me as many comments as possible!

Thanks a lot !
It sounds like the Axe Fx II XL + , is the way to go for you at this point....I started out on that one, and the sounds a still very good. I kept mine even though I upgraded to the Axe Fx III. So I still use both for recording.....check out some of my songs.......Best of luck to you. Regards, Luke.

Back
Top Bottom