Axe fx III vs Axe fx II XL+ discussion

I always vote III over the older gen gear. But I get different area, different prices and being out of the comfort zone on that price discussion.

A side note. Have you ever used any modeler before? I think either choice is going to be a deep one if you haven't. And you will need something good to monitor yourself with.

It's simply a matter of what features you want, what features you need, and how much you are willing to spend.
A lot of the folks here love every minor improvement that comes with every new firmware, as well as some features you get on the the III that aren't available elsewhere.
That said, there are still professionals who tour with the Axe II and their audience doesn't know the difference.

Last edited:
I always vote III over the older gen gear. But I get different area, different prices and being out of the comfort zone on that price discussion.

A side note. Have you ever used any modeler before? I think either choice is going to be a deep one if you haven't. And you will need something good to monitor yourself with.
Yes, do not discount the monitoring source. A good one makes a big difference. I've used a bunch... Some work better than others for specific situations.

Reactions: JTI
I feel well-qualified to answer this one as I have both an Axe FX II XL+ and an Axe FX III. I upgraded because I wanted the latest, but when it came down to it, I feel happier having a "spare" Axe FX than I would having the money sitting in the bank. Not a luxury everyone can afford, so I do feel priveleged to be in this position.

What does the Axe FX III give you that the II doesn't? The most obvious is the improvement in front panel user interface. It immediately felt more user friendly, and the features and adjustments more accessible. (Just as well, because we waited a little while for Axe Edit implementation for the Axe FX III ;) )

The big one for me was the availability of the FC-12, which we actually waited a while for in Europe, so continued to use my old FX II with MFC-101 until that was available. Sounds like it won't be for your setup, but the FC-12 opens up a world of amp and effects switching possibilities that the MFC-101 couldn't get close to. The FX III has rather more switching possibilities than the FX II as well.

Then there's the sound and feel. The final firmware version for the Axe FX II was a really good one, and I felt like we waited a while for the Axe FX III to be appreciably better. It really is now, but if you don't buy or try and FX III, you won't notice. The Axe FX II is absolutely outstanding by any other comparison, with amp sounds that most anyone could live with. OK, fewer directly modelled effects pedals and amps implemented, but I could make it find a way of doing everything I really needed with the final Ares v2.0 firmware.

So to address @Sundaday's original question, it depends... The Axe FX II is capable of giving you a lot of very professional sounds, studio quality effects, and because the firmware is essentially frozen, the only "rabbit hole" you will really have access to is 3rd party speaker cab IR files. The extra $1300 for a used Axe FX III will buy you easier editing, more authentic feeling and sounding amps, more effects, switching and channel options. It also buys you the option of regular firmware updates, all the latest modelling technology as Fractal release it. Of course you also then get the opportunity to come onto this forum and argue about whether the new version sounds better or worse, and to make unrealistic demands for new amp and effects models, and ever more complex switching functionality.

@Sundaday, my suggestion would be to get a used Axe FX II so you can get a toe in the water, and get a feel for whether you need the additional features and "authenticity" of tone and feel. You might be surprised, but I'd suggest you'll want a year with it before you get to know how to use it inside out, and really understand any limitations it might have for your own use. By that point you'll have a much better idea of which features of the Axe FX III might be of genuine additional benefit to you, and you can trade up if you feel that way.

Liam

Great post above.
The II XL+ is a magnificent effect processor.

I just move to the Axe-III because I wanted:

. more power, to create more complex sound to play U2 with one preset.
. 4 Chanel amp/effects.
. FC controllers with total programming at the rack
. More shimmers and plexis delays.
. Multi cabs.
. Effects grid with more space (6 rows).
. And especially the envelope inside delays multitap and plexis.

And I got the display, and the great tone and the next improves.

The II XL+ is wonderful. But programming foot is not so versatile as the III is. And the new display helps a lot as well.

For me, the change for the Axe-FX III worth it.
If you live in USA it will be very easy, because the price don’t increase because of fees and taxes.

All the best!

Last edited:
The Axe II will take more tweaking, but it is still a great sounding unit.

The newer units have a lot of things built in that make them easier to tweak.

Get the III. I do play live a lot but also a LOT in my room to rehearse and such, and there is just something about plugging into the III that makes me happier than I’ve ever been with a tube amp, or other modeler, including the FM3.

No real limit as for my budget,...
You just answered your own question. Get the Axe III.

The Axe-Fx II is wonderful gear. I still have mine. But the Axe-Fx III is noticeably better. Everybody I know who’s made the switch from II to III ain’t goin’ back, and that includes me. I’ve had my Axe III for six years. In that time, my Axe II has only been used for beta testing and for the occasional nostalgia trip. If you have access to both, you will always go with the III.

Having a very, very high quality sound would make no difference to me as a beginner in studio engineering.
But it just might make a difference to you as a not-so-beginner guitarist. And let’s face it — playing guitar is exactly what you’re going to do with it. The studio is just a venue to play guitar.

You can throw all this advice out the window if your actual goal is to go through a bunch of review/analyze/review cycles. That’s a valid hobby, too. In that case, hold off your decision for a couple of years, and analyze the poo out of it. But if your goal is to play guitar...

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. I play for 22 years now, never really got any real amps or effects.
Just have bought a really good guitar so i usually play with one distortion and one clean sound absolutly every time in any cases.
Now i have a neural DSP which is nice but i weirdly feel that i'm not playing with a real amp, it's difficult to explain lol
In that case, I think you should get one of the current generation models. The modeling and realism have improved greatly from the Axe FX 2 days. Yes, many will say you can get good sounds with both, but the newer ones feel a lot more real.

Hello,

First of all sorry if this kind of post already exists.

So I'm looking to upgrade my gear. I've never had quality gear except for the electric guitar of my dreams. I live in an apartment and play mostly by myself, preferring to concentrate on my musical skills rather than getting lost in the search for the perfect sound.

But today, I'm looking to get a really professional sound and I'm thinking of getting an axe fx but I don't really know what to choose.

My logic is as follows: I'm planning to buy a second-hand one, as there are some in very good condition in my country.
I find the axe fx II XL + around 1000euros vs 2300e for axe fx III.

So my question is very simple: is the 1300 euro difference really worth it?

After some comparative research, I often come across comments like "the sound is better or this is better". For me, this answer makes very little sense, given that the Axis Fx II already offers very high quality sound.
Having a very, very high quality sound would make no difference to me as a beginner in studio engineering.

What would you advise me to do?

Please give me as many comments as possible!

Thanks a lot !
Do it. You won't regret it. Sure, the Axe FX II still sounds fantastic, but there's way too much new stuff at this point, it's pretty much a completely different unit. You will never look back.

Hi Sundaday,

I’m going to buck the trend and say get the 3.
You’ve got the guitar of your dreams now, so getting an Axe FX 3 will complete the package. The 2 is good, however it’s nowhere near as good as the 3. You’ll think of the money once, the rest of the time you must live with your choice.

Thanks
Pauly
Hi Pauly, thx for your advice and that's actually what i did with my electric guitar but it's more complicated in our case. As we said with pima1234, there is a lot of way to use a fractal (with or without amp) and i don't really know the feeling so i don't want to spend money on something maybe extraodinary in general but not usefull for me now. it's really hard to make a choice without being able to test first.

In that case, I think you should get one of the current generation models. The modeling and realism have improved greatly from the Axe FX 2 days. Yes, many will say you can get good sounds with both, but the newer ones feel a lot more real.
Oh there is a difference in that way, this kind of information is way more relevant than "it sound better" 😅 Thx for that !

lol the anti-spam of this site prevents me from quoting your messages...
No real limit as for my budget, I'd say I'm more interested in logic and common sense than in buying for the sake of buying.
Regarding the choice of the FM3 it looks nice, it's small and compact and has the technology of the fx III axis but I'd like to ask the same question as at the beginning.
I see I've been given a link to the wiki, so i'll have a look at it and get back here when i see Greek-sounding terms

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone!
Money is money and some people are tighter than others. It's all good. You seem to be in a gray area with that and I think you should buy once cry once. The third version is better than the second version by far. What you gain with a 3 is richer and more 3D'ish tones and effects and WAY faster to get there with a few turns. Buying a 3 is like living at the Sweetwater Store.

That’s understandable. I guess it depends what you want.
You’ll also need some good monitors which is more money. I promise you though, if you have a good guitar, and axe fx 3, and a good pair of monitors, you’re gonna need a lot of coffee!

Thanks
Pauly

Hi Pauly, thx for your advice and that's actually what i did with my electric guitar but it's more complicated in our case. As we said with pima1234, there is a lot of way to use a fractal (with or without amp) and i don't really know the feeling so i don't want to spend money on something maybe extraodinary in general but not usefull for me now. it's really hard to make a choice without being able to test first.

I'm going to a approach this from a slightly different direction. My first Fractal purchase was an Axe II XL+ in 2017. I eventually went to a 3 in 2018, with the intent of using the XL+ as my backup. Ultimately, I wound up buying a second 3 in 2019 to use as a backup. I felt it's was worth it for consistency of my shows in the event that a backup was needed. The original plan was to sell the XL+, that was in 2019....I still have the XL+.

Now, here's where my approach is a little different. I'm a numbers guy. I would say if you're gigging regularly and generating revenue with your gear, it's easily justifiable to spend the extra cabbage and buy the 3. If you're talking about just jamming at home, the XL+ will be everything you need and more. Of course, if your budget is such that you don't care, buy the 3.

I'm going to a approach this from a slightly different direction. My first Fractal purchase was an Axe II XL+ in 2017. I eventually went to a 3 in 2018, with the intent of using the XL+ as my backup. Ultimately, I wound up buying a second 3 in 2019 to use as a backup. I felt it's was worth it for consistency of my shows in the event that a backup was needed. The original plan was to sell the XL+, that was in 2019....I still have the XL+.

Now, here's where my approach is a little different. I'm a numbers guy. I would say if you're gigging regularly and generating revenue with your gear, it's easily justifiable to spend the extra cabbage and buy the 3. If you're talking about just jamming at home, the XL+ will be everything you need and more. Of course, if your budget is such that you don't care, buy the 3.
Yes that's what i'm thinking about. Either i don't have limit budget, start to spend a lot of money on a thing that you're not totally sure about would be a mistake. I've bought a mesa boogie triple rectifier when i was really young but i didn't know how amps worked and i leaved on an appartment so i had to sell it because it was totally not adapted to me at this point of my life (i didn't lose money but this mistake remind me to avoid buying stuff for nothing, i'm not a 25 guitars guy at all)

So as you said, why not starting with a XL+ to understand and learn how it works, sell it and buy the III version if i'm feeling good with that ?

I think it's the more intelligent way to introduce fractal in my life but i'm not 100% sure.

I'll contact g66 to find a shop where i can finally test different versions or at least one version.

That’s understandable. I guess it depends what you want.
You’ll also need some good monitors which is more money. I promise you though, if you have a good guitar, and axe fx 3, and a good pair of monitors, you’re gonna need a lot of coffee!

Thanks
Pauly
I'm also a software engineer and this is already my life, so I won't see any difference :D

But yes, I agree with you, with a complete set up (analog amp, fx III axis, good monitors, good computer, good software, good camera) I'd obviously be able to build and create beautiful music but I still haven't found my "sound" in the guitaristic sense of the word.

I don't want to write music that isn't new or unique and I'm still working on it, I have so many examples of stunning guitarists who produce nothing interesting and get stuck on ideas that everyone else has heard thousands of times before... I don't want that for myself

I've got time before I think about getting a complete set-up

Last edited:
Sorry , by “monitors” I meant studio monitors, ie speakers. Very important that you have accurate monitoring.
I'm also a software engineer and this is already my life, so I won't see any difference :D

But yes, I agree with you, with a complete set up (analog amp, fx III axis, good monitor, good computer, good software, good camera) I'd obviously be able to build and create beautiful music but I still haven't found my "sound" in the guitaristic sense of the word.

I don't want to write music that isn't new or unique and I'm still working on it, I have so many examples of stunning guitarists who produce nothing interesting and get stuck on ideas that everyone else has heard thousands of times before... I don't want that for myself

I've got time before I think about getting a complete set-up

Back
Top Bottom