Axe-Fx III vs AX8 - simple test

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I am trying to replicate my patch "MF Sleeping Dog" for AXE FX III on AX8 At the beginning, with FW 1.0, AXE FX III sounds pretty similar to AX8 Now the difference is very big! First take AX8, Second take AXE FX III (FW 11.01) Same settings, same IR, same reverb

Last edited:
Wow, the AX8 still sounds good but when you compare it side-by-side the difference is definitely noticeable! I thought this was going to be one of those things where you don't hear the difference unless you had decent speakers but that is not the case.

Now I can’t reach the same result.
AXE FX III is more natural and realistic under my finger.
Of course we speak about details! During live session it is only my perception.
As you can see some people prefer AX8 :D
As usual it is matter of personal taste

Not that it really matters, but I'd be curious to hear the comparison after your fix. Is that possible?

These are two separate individual takes, yes? Would be better if you ran the same take through both machines.

It is definitely a matter of taste. I prefer the III. The 8 to me sounds scooped and unnatural and the III sounds more balanced tone of lows, mids and highs through my monitors. Maybe scoop the mids on the III?

I think you could easily replicate the AX8 with III (11.01) if you wanted to. EQ and limiting could get you to that sound fairly easily. The III sounds more like a real amp rather than a recorded, final printed version. The AxeFx III is also the first modeler that can get the clean and light distortion dynamics correct in my opinion.

With older modelers I tended to play to suit the sound of the modeler. Now I play into the AxeFx III like I would direct into an amp. I assume it's because it's more dynamic than previous modelers or maybe I'm just tripping on placebos.

I definitely prefer the 3, but the second take is better per se for me, so I'd like to hear that one through both machines if possible please Marco.

Back
Top Bottom