Axe-Fx III vs AX8 - simple test

With older modelers I tended to play to suit the sound of the modeler. Now I play into the AxeFx III like I would direct into an amp. I assume it's because it's more dynamic than previous modelers or maybe I'm just tripping on placebos.
I don't think it's placebo, I noticed the exact same thing when I switched from the ax8 to the axe III.

III sounds more natural to me but darker, sounds like different EQ. I'd be reaching for EQ to brighten up the second section a touch.

I also copy/pasted a preset from my AX8 directly into the Axe Fx III as soon as I got mine last month, mostly because I was recording and wanted to immediatly test the USB interface. Already pointed my views here as how I perceived a beefier, more alive and 3D sounding tone from the III, just like an 'amp' would be in front of you. Still, tonewise they were pretty much in the same ballpark, but the AX8 felt a little 'flat' in the spatial perception.

Getting the III was awesome and pretty much scratched "the itch", but still I'm a believer one day the AX8 will get the promised Ares treatment. :tongueclosed:

Back
Top Bottom