Axe-Fx III USB Audio Latency Troubleshooting

Yes, while he has a workaround for now, it's not a true fix... any time another process takes priority (looking at you Windows Update), that delay could shift. Having to manually check the delay and adjust value all the time is something that should be done by the software itself.

Windows 10 introduces some big changes to the way it manages audio devices so I'd be curious to know if this same issue is apparent on Win7. Unfortunately, I don't have a win7 box to test on or I would tomorrow when my III shows up! Will definitely be trying to record into Reaper as soon as I get it.

Yes, while he has a workaround for now, it's not a true fix... any time another process takes priority (looking at you Windows Update), that delay could shift. Having to manually check the delay and adjust value all the time is something that should be done by the software itself.

Windows 10 introduces some big changes to the way it manages audio devices so I'd be curious to know if this same issue is apparent on Win7. Unfortunately, I don't have a win7 box to test on or I would tomorrow when my III shows up! Will definitely be trying to record into Reaper as soon as I get it.

Wait, are you saying that offset I entered could shift?

Wait, are you saying that offset I entered could shift?
Yes, the offset is based on hardware and software latency in your PC. You know the latency ms counters in your DAW? Those can change based on CPU and bus workloads. There are processes that could cause that latency to increase, and there's also situations where it could decrease. Less so with ASIO because it's designed to minimize these issues but not impossible. If you heavily loaded your USB bus, your USB-based ASIO devices (in this case Axe III) could get degraded CPU priority and thus increase latency.

It works similar to how adding a bunch of plugins to a track you have on active monitor increases the delay, except instead of being at the DAW level -where the latency is being actively taken into consideration- it's happening at the hardware/OS layer and it doesn't appear to be considering the latency.

I could be completely off mark here but based on my understanding of your issue and the workaround, this seems to be a possible diagnosis.

I've been building DAWs professionally for nearly 25 years... so I wanted to chime-in.

This has zero to do with Windows 7 vs. 8 vs. 10.
The value of the offset won't change.
ALL audio interfaces have an offset (latency). If reported properly by the driver, the DAW software manages it automatically... and all audio tracks will line up properly.
If the value isn't reported properly, you have to manually figure out the offset (in samples)… and enter that in your DAW software.
Once done, it's done.

If you're savvy and have Win10 Pro, you can disable all annoying components (OneDrive, Cortana, Automatic Updates, etc).
At that point, Win10 is a very solid DAW platform.

Thanks for chiming in guys.
I'm going to record a track for my work tonight or tomorrow so I'll let you know if I run into more problems.

Perhaps other guys running windows 10 could try to see if they encounter the same problem?
In the end I just recorded my click directly back to the Axe fx in order to figure out the offset as suggested in this thread.

If it turns out to be a driver issue, hopefully it's an easy fix for FAS.

Automatic Updates downloading in mid dense session could potentially cause performance issues (especially if using WiFi).
With Win10 Pro, you can shut all those things (including Automatic Updates) down.

Hmm maybe I should consider upgrading to pro.
I assume you mean that the CPU will have a harder time with handling the session so stuff like dropouts could potentially occur in such a case?

FWIW, The latency of your audio interface does not change based on CPU load/etc.
If that were the case, you'd never be able to record any tracks that lined up with existing tracks.
The audio interface latency is consistent.

Lets say your audio interface is set to a 64-sample ASIO buffer size (at 44.1k)
  • 1.5ms latency for the ASIO input buffer
  • 1.5ms latency for the ASIO output buffer
Then you have the latency of the audio interface's "safety-buffer"... and the latency of the A/D D/A.

The sum of all these things is the audio interface's total round-trip latency.
The X-Factor is round-trip latency is the audio interface's "safety-buffer".
Better designed units/drivers can use smaller safety-buffer (resulting in lower round-trip latency).
As long as no buffer sizes have changed, the resultant latency is static.

Working at that 64-sample ASIO buffer size, background tasks (especially heavy tasks) can indeed affect performance.
But they will not affect latency.
Latency will be consistent... but you may hear glitches or (worse) experience a transport drop-out if the machine can't keep up.

In short, performance does affect the latency at which you can effectively work (glitch-free).
Performance doesn't determine actual latency value.

Audio latency has but two sources:
  • Audio Interface (outlined above)
  • Latent audio plugins

Hmm maybe I should consider upgrading to pro.
I assume you mean that the CPU will have a harder time with handling the session so stuff like dropouts could potentially occur in such a case?

Let's say you're using a WiFi adapter to download those updates (mid session).
If you're working at small ASIO buffer sizes (say 64-samples or smaller - especially with more dense projects), you might hear a tick/pop.
Especially if your WiFi adapter is causing higher DPC Latency.

If you're using Intel Gb LAN and working at a 256-sample ASIO buffer size (with a modern CPU like an 8086k that has six cores running at 5GHz), you most likely wouldn't experience glitches when downloading updates.
If you're after maximum DAW performance, it makes sense to shut these types of operations down.
If you're in a professional environment, you won't want to be prompted for a Win10 update while Slash is in mid take. ;)

I've been building DAWs professionally for nearly 25 years... so I wanted to chime-in.

This has zero to do with Windows 7 vs. 8 vs. 10.
The value of the offset won't change.
ALL audio interfaces have an offset (latency). If reported properly by the driver, the DAW software manages it automatically... and all audio tracks will line up properly.
If the value isn't reported properly, you have to manually figure out the offset (in samples)… and enter that in your DAW software.
Once done, it's done.

If you're savvy and have Win10 Pro, you can disable all annoying components (OneDrive, Cortana, Automatic Updates, etc).
At that point, Win10 is a very solid DAW platform.

And to my original point, the value looks like it's not being reported properly so manually setting the delay is a workaround, not a solution.

And to my original point, the value looks like it's not being reported properly so manually setting the delay is a workaround, not a solution.

No disagreement here.
I'm just saying it's (relatively) easy to work around.

Anytime you switch audio interfaces, it's a good idea to test to see if audio tracks line up perfectly.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/#post-1636630
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/#post-1637251

Good to have a solution. But this seems like a large gap. Useful to get to the bottom of it.

This is known. It's the USB Buffer Size IN the Axe-FX III itself (as explained in the above posts). That latency is not reported by the FAS driver.

I had to enter a value of 1325 samples to correct the offset and it works.

That sounds about right for the default USB Buffer size of 256 in the Axe-Fx III itself - 256*2 for playback + 256*2 for recording + ASIO latency

Last edited:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/#post-1636630
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/#post-1637251

This is known. It's the USB Buffer Size IN the Axe-FX III itself (as explained in the above posts). That latency is not reported by the FAS driver.

That sounds about right for the default USB Buffer size of 256 in the Axe-Fx III itself - 256*2 for playback + 256*2 for recording + ASIO latency

Ah yes, I see!
Same issues there...

I have this issue as well. There is something not quite right with the AxeFx 3 USB driver in my opinion.

This is the solution i found in the following thread;

I stole this from AlberA

"record the loopback and measure the latency yourself.

You can easily do this with the Axe-Fx III by connecting a cable from say output 3 L to input 2 L and create a preset that routes IN USB->OUT 3 Block. Make sure to increase the OUT 3 knob in the front.

Then in your DAW, set a click track or something with clearly defined transients, and send it to track 7 (IN USB L).
In another track, set it to record Input 7 (INPUT 2 L).

In Cubase you should adjust "Record Shift" by the amount of delay between the tracks. Re-Record the track, check and adjust as necessary until both tracks are aligned."

I have this issue as well. There is something not quite right with the AxeFx 3 USB driver in my opinion.

This is the solution i found in the following thread;

I stole this from AlberA

"record the loopback and measure the latency yourself.

You can easily do this with the Axe-Fx III by connecting a cable from say output 3 L to input 2 L and create a preset that routes IN USB->OUT 3 Block. Make sure to increase the OUT 3 knob in the front.

Then in your DAW, set a click track or something with clearly defined transients, and send it to track 7 (IN USB L).
In another track, set it to record Input 7 (INPUT 2 L).

In Cubase you should adjust "Record Shift" by the amount of delay between the tracks. Re-Record the track, check and adjust as necessary until both tracks are aligned."

What amount of samples did you type in that offset field?

Mine was 1149. Yours might need different though. Super easy test. Took about 10 minutes to find the right amount of offset. However, they should look into this more with the USB driver.

Yeah I did that test and I got 1325 samples.
I was just wondering if I maybe need to make it a bit less because I figure the click also needs time to reach back into the Axe fx if that makes sense?
Couldn't that by itself not cause a little bit of additional latency I wonder?
I'm a n00b at this so I'm probably wrong.

What I did was change the actual click destination from stereo 1 to Mono out 7 (IN USB L)
Then, made a new mono track and set it to record Input 7 (INPUT 2 L). Using the simple preset outlined by AlbertA. "That routes IN USB->OUT 3 Block. Make sure to increase the OUT 3 knob in the front."

I then recorded the click on that track and changed offeset until it lined up on the grid exactly.

Cubase auto detects the hit marker and puts a nice line there for you to use to align it to the grid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom