Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same results.
The Deluxe Tweed was just installed from the zip file link you just sent me.
The PRESET 1 CLEAN is my preset for super crisp clean sound. No change and it is now way too much bass.
I discovered that pretty much any preset that has an amp master volume that defaults to 10 has too much bass and is very loose sounding, border line blown speaker. So I was wondering if before this setting was ignored in all amps that normally don't have a master volume. And now it is not being ignored, possibly causing this anomaly.
i tried both presets uploaded on this post.

i don't know what they sounded like before 5.xx, so i can't compare. but as is, they sound "normal" to me. yes, they sound like they have a "good amount" of low frequency in them, but that's how i felt about my presets going from 3.xx to 4.xx actually.

my main preset had more bass in just the electric guitar amps (i run a separate acoustic row, which didn't change at all). so i had to dial that back a bit.

did you try 4.xx at all @Tommy Tempest or did you go from 3.xx to 5.xx or something like that?

on your PRESET 1 CLEAN, i turned off the PEQ that is cutting lows and highs, and the preset was usable as is, in my opinion. i agree that there's a bit much on the low end, but also notice that the Bass basic control is at 5.00 (middle). so i turned it down a bit and it all cleaned up real quick.

in this very quick video, i play sloppy guitar. but i turn down the Bass knob and then turn up the Low cut in the Cab block to even out the Bass. first part is with the Bridge pickup so it's a bit gritty, then i change to a split coil middle position for the rest:

Great update! Still prefer the sound of my real amps though.
In the Fryette PS2 compared to my amps, there is still a gap for me in punch, feeling and dynamic.
More subtle with IR's...

Great update! Still prefer the sound of my real amps though.
In the Fryette PS2 compared to my amps, there is still a gap for me in punch, feeling and dynamic.
More subtle with IR's...
Are you comparing both with the same speakers?

On the Fender folks: Have you tried resetting system parameters? (Yek had suggested this earlier.) It has solved very many problems for me in the past (not so much lately.)

Thanks for the tip. That is something I did not try when I was on 5.00 beta. After I rolled back to the previous firmware and re-installed all my backup files and system files the Fenders sounded fine again so I didn't try resetting the system parameters. The fact that many of the folks I respect the most on this forum say the Fenders sound fine to them makes me want to try 5.00. beta again, and not wait for the official version. I may get brave and try it again later tonight. If I do and I get the same results I'll try resetting the system parameters like you suggested. In my case I created all of my Fender presets several firmware versions ago. I may try repeating them from scratch if I try 5.00 beta again, or when the official version comes out.

Good ears. That crispy/crunchy is what real amps don't do. It bugged me for years. Real amps go "bong" not "bzzzzz". If you look at the waveform out of a cathode follower it's almost a triangle wave whereas the previous firmware was halfway between a triangle and square. I finally figured out what makes that triangle wave.

Well, this is making me think about switching to the Axe III...

Do it. OMG it’s good.
I can’t bring myself to play my AX8 at this time.
If B5 was ported over to the AX8 , I’d be happy with amp block , cab block , one mod block , one delay block , volume/filter block , wah block.
- wrong place to post AX8 stuff ( I know ) Just being honest. The III is THAT good right now. Whew.

I originally was only having issues with band commander amp. Then I saw the others having similar issues with Fender types.
To answer your question, yes and tested on a totally different AXE FXIII. It is not the unit, system parameters, bad preset, as I can duplicate it.
I can use an older firmware and the over bass issue does not exist. It started when the Authentic / Ideal settings came about. I still think it has to do with the master volume parameter somehow. Maybe if the master volume does not exist in the original amp, the default setting of 10 boosts the gain too much.

You said you use almost unaltered factory presets. But is it possible that in earlier firmware those presets of yours are set to MV at 5 (or Master Volume Trim has been adjusted)), while in 5.0 they are set to 10.?

I guess I have to join the farting Fender guys, Just loaded 5.00b Marshalls Friedman, Vox all sound very good, but my Fender Deluxe patch is very bass heavy, much more than the 4x12 stuff. I'm sure it can be tweaked out but not going to have a chance tonight. I have to agree something has increased the bass response on the fenders
Edit: yes did reset and not much change)

I'm not getting this at all on the Fenders, they sound lovely.

I tend to have the bass control very low on Fenders, especially as I turn up the drive - usually 9o'clock or less, could that be it?

I guess I have to join the farting Fender guys, Just loaded 5.00b Marshalls Friedman, Vox all sound very good, but my Fender Deluxe patch is very bass heavy, much more than the 4x12 stuff. I'm sure it can be tweaked out but not going to have a chance tonight. I have to agree something has increased the bass response on the fenders
Edit: yes did reset and not much change)

Presets are created to suit the tone associated with a given firmware, which is why users commonly retweak their presets after a firmware update.

Presets are created to suit the tone associated with a given firmware, which is why users commonly retweak their presets after a firmware update.
Yes very aware of that, user since 2007 with standard, I seldom have any issues especially over the last several months of updates, however it’s been a long while since firmware changed a preset this much! As I said I’m sure it can be tweaked out. Just don’t have time now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom