Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

Cliff, you da man.

I'm not yet an Axe FX 3 user, but here's Question: So, the drive blocks now have a page where it only shows knobs that actually exist on the pedal, right?
Would it not make sense to have such a page for amps too?
To me, it always felt kinda weird that even though the real amp has like three knobs, the Axe FX 2 displays lots of knobs...

Cliff, you da man.

I'm not yet an Axe FX 3 user, but here's Question: So, the drive blocks now have a page where it only shows knobs that actually exist on the pedal, right?
To me, it always felt kinda weird that even though the real amp has like three knobs, the Axe FX 2 displays lots of knobs...
Totally agree! Actually any 1:1 model of any block. i.e. Memory Man, Dimension C...

Wow, what an update!

Only been playing for 15 minutes or so. The new Rat model sounds great, but very different from the old one. Reckon it's time to get some Radiohead happening.

Also played a little with the new Big Muff model. Whereas I've struggled previously to get this to work with a bass, something's changed, cause it's sounding killer now. Really gets that buzzy Muse sound happening when layered on top of a cleaner bass tone.

I reckon this is going to be a lot of fun in the coming days. Well done Cliff, this is a good one! (although, they all seem to be good ones...)

Good morning

In your video comparison(thanks by the way), I tended to like your 3.01 sounds better. I could hear a similar character in all the 3.02 sounds. Maybe after you spend more time adjusting the new drives, you will make another comparison video(I hope).
I tried 3.02 tonight and really liked some of the pedals after tweaking them but had trouble getting what I wanted out of others(need to spend more time on it).

Also played a little with the new Big Muff model. Whereas I've struggled previously to get this to work with a bass, something's changed, cause it's sounding killer now. Really gets that buzzy Muse sound happening when layered on top of a cleaner bass tone.
So it's been updated too? It's not on @yek 's list

Indeed, according to Cliff's criterium, the Muff has not been updated. Placebo?

That, or dumb luck.

I did A/B the RAT model before and after (same preset), but was just playing around with the Muff and happened upon something that sounded much better than I've ever managed before. More than happy to acknowledge that it was just dumb luck.

I know the Muff has clipping diodes, so I just presumed it was part of the update.

No diodes to choose from under the advanced tab. I take it all back! :oops:
I also found Big Muff pleasant yesterday with the update. After a while I read that it hasn't changed. Oh well. Drive 9-10 o'clock, tone all the way up and level to taste. Works wonders with Marshalls without bright cap and treble down.

Can anybody confirm that Shred Dist has also changed? I'm pretty sure it has changed a lot and it might be bugged. Has tons of low end and I have to pull bass all the way down to get some decent sounds out of it.

Does a killer ripping doom sound with contour (tone) and treble notched up a little.

In your video comparison(thanks by the way), I tended to like your 3.01 sounds better. I could hear a similar character in all the 3.02 sounds. Maybe after you spend more time adjusting the new drives, you will make another comparison video(I hope).
I tried 3.02 tonight and really liked some of the pedals after tweaking them but had trouble getting what I wanted out of others(need to spend more time on it).

Same settings on each so it shows that there's been a definite change. Looking forward to spending some more time dialling them in.

The BB Pre is incredible with a Recto, clearly better than the usual TS9/Recto combination :)

How are you setting the BB?

That would be pretty awesome

Cliff, you da man.

This!! Would keep simple amp designs simple and advanced models would show all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Thanks Leon ! Excellent demo as usual :)
The 3.02 blues OD is a bit disappointing though... The other models sound right, i hear improvement, not radical
Agreed...but as Leon said, that comparison was done with no tweaks....I would guess that the Blues OD will be just fine with some judicious editing..

Indeed, according to Cliff's criterium, the Muff has not been updated. Placebo?
The tone circuit in the Muff model was updated. The drive section is the same.

I should've been more clear in my previous post. Models that show the diode type/qty use the new op-amp/diode algorithms. Otherwise they use the old algorithms. ALL models have had updates to the tone circuits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom