Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

Rat sounds drastically different. Is there a way to tweak it to sound more like previous firmware?

Boy... I don't know how Cliff must be feeling right now...

For what seems like forever, so many people were always saying "the drives aren't there yet", "don't need more amps, want improved drives" yadda yadda..... so what does the man do ? He goes and updates a bunch of the drives, comparing them to some real pedals, most advanced modeling yet, and what responses do we get ? A bunch of "can we go back to the old ones?"

Essentially, we wanted "new" drives, BUT, we wanted them to sound like the old drives ? To which... I have to wonder if we really wanted new drives in the first place because we seem to like how the 'old' drives actually sounded better ?

My favorite sounds don't rely on drives but I do like some of these. When I was younger a drive had to be run on 11 I thought! o_O Then later when great sounding amp distortion came around I stopped using drives. Now I'm finding the secret is moderation.

Perhaps it placebo affect, but it's seems to me even the drives that were not remodeled have changed? Like the Tube Drive 3 Knob and the Face Fuzz sound much gnarlier (in an awesome way) now. The Ruckus was noticeably better (much less harsh, way more usable), but the other ones I referenced sounded just as different to me in my presets. Anyway, great work on these!

Austin

I have to wonder if we really wanted new drives in the first place because we seem to like how the 'old' drives actually sounded better ?

I think the problem is subjectivity. What people WANT is to have everything sound better... to them. The problem is, that's basically impossible. Even if the new Rat sounds more like a real Rat, some people will prefer the old Rat... pretty much inevitable.

Cliff seems like he knows what he's doing in this area :)

Boy... I don't know how Cliff must be feeling right now...

For what seems like forever, so many people were always saying "the drives aren't there yet", "don't need more amps, want improved drives" yadda yadda..... so what does the man do ? He goes and updates a bunch of the drives, comparing them to some real pedals, most advanced modeling yet, and what responses do we get ? A bunch of "can we go back to the old ones?"

Essentially, we wanted "new" drives, BUT, we wanted them to sound like the old drives ? To which... I have to wonder if we really wanted new drives in the first place because we seem to like how the 'old' drives actually sounded better ?

Don't need to act defensive.
With all respect to Cliff I don't think its mandatory to like all things. The previous Rat sound worked really well for one particular preset i had, thats why i asked if its possible to replicate it.
I asked politely for a solution, thats all.

Don't need to act defensive.
With all respect to Cliff I don't think its mandatory to like all things. The previous Rat sound worked really well for one particular preset i had, thats why i asked if its possible to replicate it.
I asked politely for a solution, thats all.

"Defensive" ??? How am I being defensive ??

I'm simply saying that I'm sure its frustrating for Cliff to have people always asking for something new, then eagerly awaiting it for weeks, then when he finally drops it a lot of people, rightfully so or not, are asking "can we have the old version back"

Its like a parent who has a kid who bugs them for a new toy for months, then they go out, buy them the toy, and what does the kid do ? Plays with the old toy lol

@yek

The patch was still there, I had to reload 3.02 to see it. However, this is the problem. You can see in the video I am switching patches with the value knob on the axe and it changes the FC6 information when I go back.

Last edited:
Any word on CPU usage difference for the drive block versus older firmware? Thanks

Just tried a preset with 3 drives on fw3.1 and cpu usage was 78% with everything else. Deleted the 3 drives and cpu dropped to 55%.

Same preset on 3.2beta cpu usage at 73%. Delete the 3 drives and cpu is at 55%.

Some of the drives have different cpu usage but it seems the new algorithms save around 2% per block instance.

I'm simply saying that I'm sure its frustrating for Cliff to have people always asking for something new, then eagerly awaiting it for weeks, then when he finally drops it a lot of people, rightfully so or not, are asking "can we have the old version back"

Its like a parent who has a kid who bugs them for a new toy for months, then they go out, buy them the toy, and what does the kid do ? Plays with the old toy lol

well you feel obligated for some reason to defend Cliff from someone who doesn’t like a certain pedal. Right? Lol

Just tried a preset with 3 drives on fw3.1 and cpu usage was 78% with everything else. Deleted the 3 drives and cpu dropped to 55%.

Same preset on 3.2beta cpu usage at 73%. Delete the 3 drives and cpu is at 55%.

Some of the drives have different cpu usage but it seems the new algorithms save around 2% per block instance.
That's pretty cool. Real-time circuit emulation isn't trivial.

That’s hilarious!

well you feel obligated for some reason to defend Cliff from someone who doesn’t like a certain pedal. Right? Lol

Again.... Defending him ?

I just think it’s frickin funny how lots of people ask and ask for soemthing, and then an hour later, people are asking can they have the old stuff back

I just laugh thinking of Cliffs reaction when he reads it; which again is probably that of a frustrated parent who still obviously loves his kids, even when they annoy him to no end...

I don’t know, man. Maybe some of you guys don’t have kids, or take these toys way too seriously.

It was just a casual comment on the humor of how quickly the desire for new features becomes desire for having the old stuff back. I mean come on, how can you not laugh at that ?

Lighten up guys

Back
Top Bottom