Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00

Just installed 20 tonight. I am really loving the speaker drive! Where has that been my whole life? It is both a type of dirt that was missing from my tone as well as a nice way to smooth what was too strident in the highs. I’ve got mine higher than other people posted, around 4-5ish. One I put up closer to 6 but that one I have the master volume a bit lower. Another amp I put a little below 3 to keep a little more punch for a fender clean tone.

I may go back and rebuild a patch to see if I can get speaker drive to yield the results I'm reading about from more experienced users--it just seems to take the presence out of my existing BE100s (essentially the factory preset). For now, I've swapped from Medium to Heavy clip in my existing presets with that amp, and LOVE that! I kinda don't wanna mess with it because it sounds SO GOOD since the last few updates. The other amp I gig with is from the Bassguy preset (a Tweed I believe?), and that sounds great to me...I haven't tried speaker drive on that, but from what I'm reading, that is where I'm probably gonna hear more/better results?

Last edited:
Backed mine up and took the plunge on the upgrade today! I'll have to grab my footswitch from our practice house and test that as well. Basic presets sound okay so far.

I may go back and rebuild a patch to see if I can get speaker drive to yield the results I'm reading about from more experienced users--it just seems to take the presence out of my existing BE100s (essentially the factory preset). For now, I've swapped from Medium to Heavy clip in my existing presets with that amp, and LOVE that! I kinda don't wanna mess with it because it sounds SO GOOD since the last few updates. The other amp I gig with is from the Bassguy preset (a Tweed I believe?), and that sounds great to me...I haven't tried speaker drive on that, but from what I'm reading, that is where I'm probably gonna hear more/better results?
I like speaker drive at .5 for my aggressive modern metal tone. I previously had it at 0 and then tried it again with this new algorithm. I would say it adds squishiness and organic feel, which I don’t want a lot of but a little is nice.

Finding Dynamic Distortion to be really handy. Could we please have modifiers for controlling it. I was Playing with a preset for Piezo electric and really like Dynamic Distortion as a boost for a lead section, in this case being able to put Dynamic Distortion in parallel and be able to control level would be awesome. I know we/I am spoiled being able to control everything but its like an addiction. Sure I could use a filter as a level control for it but would be nice not to have to use another block for that purpose.

Dweezil's Bassman comes alive for me with FW20. The palm muting effect is pronounced in a way I haven't heard from a modeler, and it is a blast to play around with. Thanks to Fractal and the community for such a great product.

IMO no don't reset the amp blocks. Their settings are there because the preset makers liked them that way. You might want to use the batch setter tool in AxeEdit to set Speaker Drive to 2 for all presets, that's the default value now.
Hey Dave. How do you use and find the batch setter tool, as your describing above. I've been away from my Fractal for 2 months, and feel light years behind.

Hey Dave. How do you use and find the batch setter tool, as your describing above. I've been away from my Fractal for 2 months, and feel light years behind.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Editors#Parameter_Batch_Set

Parameter Batch Set​

The editors provide a hidden Parameter Batch Set function. Right-click on a parameter while holding down SHIFT to display a context menu, then select "Set In Multiple Presets". Selecting a sub-menu item will display the Preset Picker from which you can select multiple presets to batch set the parameter value.

No reset needed, only the parameters on older presets.

This can be done by parameter batchfunction in axe edit or with fractool.
Both found in this thread.

Thanks. But I can‘t find the batchfunction in Axe Edit. And what do you mean with ‚older presets‘ ?

Last edited:
Thanks. But I can‘t find the batchfunction in Axe Edit. And what do you mean with ‚older presets‘
All presets will not be changed. Only newly developed presets made from scratch or by amp reset it defaults to current settings. So old i mean presets made before fw20.

Reset not needed. But if you want to use new functionality also on presets made before fw20 you can set those via batch parameter (right click???).

Is there a reset all or do you have to reset rack one? What about effect blocks?
I've been doing it individually; however, most sound good, a had a couple that were completely fuxxor3d and had to reinstall the preset. Mind you, they were old presets. YMMV

Parameter Batch Set​

The editors provide a hidden Parameter Batch Set function. Right-click on a parameter while holding down SHIFT to display a context menu, then select "Set In Multiple Presets". Selecting a sub-menu item will display the Preset Picker from which you can select multiple presets to batch set the parameter value.

Back
Top Bottom