Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.00

What are everyone's thoughts on the improved cathode follower modeling? The Marshall style amps seem to be a bit more balanced and natural sounding to my ears, but it's very subjective and I'm aware that I might just be hearing what I want to hear without a real comparison.

Thanks for this update, Cliff! One thing that really hit me with this update is how great the amps feel and respond, simply amazing. As for the new speaker Compliance feature.....to my ears it somehow makes presets/patches sounds warmer and the top end fatter. Not sure how else is everyone perceiving the tonal shift and feel though.....

Last edited:
Thanks for this update, Cliff! One thing that really hit me with this update is how great the amps feel and respond now. As for the new speaker Compliance feature.....to my ears it somehow makes presets/patches sounds warmer and the top end fatter. Not sure how else is everyone perceiving the tonal shift and feel though.....

Must be totally awesome at cranked volume!! ??? ;-)

Of course the new firmware drops while I’m 7 hours away from home celebrating Thanksgiving with family. It’ll give me extra incentive to get home quickly tomorrow. I know what I’ll be doing this weekend.
Happy Thanksgiving to Cliff, M@, Michael P and all the great folks at FAS! Keep doing what you do!

What are everyone's thoughts on the improved cathode follower modeling? The Marshall style amps seem to be a bit more balanced and natural sounding to my ears, but it's very subjective and I'm aware that I might just be hearing what I want to hear without a real comparison.

Glad it's not just me. Most everything sounds better after this update. A noticeable difference.

With this new update, in regards to tone and feel... I have to say that Fractal has bridged the gap even closer with this latest update (Speaker Compliance and Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling)! When comparing the III(BE100 model) with my actual BE100 in 4CM with the III and a loadbox, using the same IR, it's VERY close.

Am I the only one using very small amounts of the speaker compliance on high gain sounds? I typically go for preamp maxed out and mid level master settings for high gain, and I found that the compliance seems to give more sensitivity at low settings, which is nice, but any higher than 10% and things get a little flabby.

Also of interest, to me at least, is that after dialing in that small amount of compliance, I was able to finally make use of the speaker drive and compression controls. Before compliance was added, they just seemed to do unflattering boxy things, now they seem to add some detail and presence. It is very interesting to finally learn of all the different elements that go into such a complex sound as a high gain guitar...

Am I the only one using very small amounts of the speaker compliance on high gain sounds? I typically go for preamp maxed out and mid level master settings for high gain, and I found that the compliance seems to give more sensitivity at low settings, which is nice, but any higher than 10% and things get a little flabby.

Also of interest, to me at least, is that after dialing in that small amount of compliance, I was able to finally make use of the speaker drive and compression controls. Before compliance was added, they just seemed to do unflattering boxy things, now they seem to add some detail and presence. It is very interesting to finally learn of all the different elements that go into such a complex sound as a high gain guitar...
I agree. I currently have it at around 6.5 for my heavy rhythm and lead patches. I may bump it up slowly to see if I like it.

Improved Amp block speaker dynamic parameter modeling. The new Speaker Compliance parameter controls the nonlinear behavior of the virtual speaker. Existing presets will load with this parameter at 0.0 and will be unchanged tonally from the previous firmware (IOW your presets will not be altered). Selecting a new amp model or resetting the block will set the value to 50% which is a typical value for guitar speakers.

I wish I was a millennial and understood what this meant, is Cliff saying he was 50% out before today? ;)
(what I really mean is I wish I had an axe 3)

You're not the only one..... some of my patches I have it on 0, because it completely castrated the "bigness" it had before. I guess I chalk this up to it interacting differently for different amps, even though most of mine are high gain models, since some of my patches sound pretty decent with it on 50.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Great FW update for desert after the Thanksgiving feast! My Marshall and Friedman presets sound noticeably better. The virtual capo is amazing.

Perhaps we get the FC 6 and 12 for Christmas??

Apologies. I couldn’t help myself.

Stay on subject please.

Had the chance to give this a whirl over the last few days. Speaker compliance is ENTIRELY dependent upon amp for me. Some I like the effect it had...some not so much.

If we can get @2112 to give us some Marshall love on how to use this Cathode Follower...he's a bloody sorcerer.

The virtual capo worked brilliantly. When I had 2 LP's, I always had one tuned down. No need now as there is no compromise. Well done FAS.

Back
Top Bottom