Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not concerned with stability, I just hate the UI. They even ruined the calculator.

You should have a look at Classic Shell. It allows you to change Windows 10 UI to look and function like Windows 7, it's highly customizable, has no impact on performance, and it's free.

Here's a link to the original developers site where you'll find a description of its features:
http://www.classicshell.net/

...and here's a link to the new developers site and most current version:
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

I've had Classic Shell / Open Shell installed since 2015 and it has been rock solid.

There's a fix for the calculator as well. I can't remember if I used the link below to get the Windows 7 calculator back but it looks familiar to me so I assume it's the same link:
https://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

Last edited:
I don’t know if you have ever developed in Windows or are even a developer, but this is an uninformed opinion.

I worked have done work for MS on the Windows Kernel as well as the OS messaging architecture.

Under the covers most everything from ring 1 out has been refactored since Windows 7. Ring 0 has seen big changes too. They are integrating .Net as a native part of the OS and have vastly improved the entire OS stack.

They have also played some catch up, adding Containers and native cloud support just to name a few of the improvements.

Microsoft has always been a development tools company. Windows was merely a way to sell compilers/IDEs. Now they are transitioning to being a Cloud tools company. The Azure platform and their cloud strategy has become a major revenue source.
I got out of MS development 16 or more years ago. I merely observed their updates and noticed a pattern. Let me know when the Nixon-era filename bug is removed....

• Haha
Reactions: jon
I got out of MS development 16 or more years ago. I merely observed their updates and noticed a pattern. Let me know when the Nixon-era filename bug is removed....
Call me when you can open a directory in Explorer and predict how it will be displayed. Not sure how many versions that anomaly goes back, but it always seems to randomly pick the least convenient option. I'd kill for a way to override globally.

Call me when you can open a directory in Explorer and predict how it will be displayed. Not sure how many versions that anomaly goes back, but it always seems to randomly pick the least convenient option. I'd kill for a way to override globally.
This ^^^

MS tries too hard to be helpful, and ends up being "helpful" instead....
MEME2020-01-16-11-11-51.jpg

Try selecting part of a word and a few words after or before it with the mouse sometime....

• Haha
Reactions: jon
Got it. You left right when Microsoft killed Visual Basic and started pushing .Net and C#. So you were a VB programmer?

You do realize that Microsoft, Windows, and PCs for that matter did not exist in the “Nixon Era”, right? Clinton era would be a more apt way to describe it. No code from mainframe or mini operating systems was used to scaffold Windows. There was however Windows kernel code scaffolded into builds of Unix and subsequently Linux and they had this very same bug for the longest time as a result. The bug was fixed in Windows 10 btw.

Computer operating systems have been nothing new for years. The only thing that seems to be a common theme is less functionality for old software. I had to upgrade my Mac OS for Bluetooth to midi functionality. Then, after it failed during a concert I only use wired hardware. Apple has killed off 32 bit support so I won’t be upgrading anytime soon. I use an extremely complicated Ableton live setup and have 8gb Ram. No need for more processing power in the least..

But I’m right there with you on the calculator - I much prefer the old calc.exe. I never thought to just copy a version from an older version because I thought I’d get used to the new one but I haven’t.

Depending on your inclination:
1579201103020.png

or:

1579201158784.png

I still have my 15C - just used it a minute ago. Perfect form factor. However, I think only the 12C (financial) is still in production.

Got it. You left right when Microsoft killed Visual Basic and started pushing .Net and C#. So you were a VB programmer?

You do realize that Microsoft, Windows, and PCs for that matter did not exist in the “Nixon Era”, right? Clinton era would be a more apt way to describe it. No code from mainframe or mini operating systems was used to scaffold Windows. There was however Windows kernel code scaffolded into builds of Unix and subsequently Linux and they had this very same bug for the longest time as a result. The bug was fixed in Windows 10 btw.
Windows was based on DOS and had an unresolved DOS issue with a particular filename that dates back to 1974.

Windows was based on DOS and had an unresolved DOS issue with a particular filename that dates back to 1974.

Windows has never really been based on DOS. It could get bootstrapped on DOS and then it basically took over the machine - all of the DOS API calls such as int 21h and the like had Windows API alternatives.

The current versions of Windows that everyone uses are all based on the NT kernel which has never been DOS based. However, there is a subsystem in NT that can run 16-bit DOS and Windows apps called NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) - it's not supported on 64-bit Windows and it is not installed by default anymore.

DOS was introduced in 1981, at the same time as the PC. Yoir attempts to place any code running a Microsoft Operating System to before the early 80s, is simply inaccurate. There were no Microsoft operating systems in existence in 1974. Microsoft was founded in 1975 to build compilers for the BASIC language targeting the Altair 8800.

The bug you are referring to involved an exclusive lock being placed on system objects such as “con” (console) when used as a file name as dates by most accounts back to the early 90s. The same long lived bug was recently squashed in Unix, Linux, and Windows 10.

As of Windows 95, Microsoft had cut any type of cord between windows and DOS. Windows NT got rid of most of remaining remnants of DOS and moved The command window from Ring 0 to Ring 3. Windows 2000 converged the Windows 9x codebase and the Windows NT codebase.

I get that you don’t like Microsoft, but could you at least be realistic with your criticisms rather than spewing inaccurate dogma?

Last edited:
DOS was introduced in 1981, at the same time as the PC. Yoir attempts to place any code running a Microsoft Operating System to before the early 80s, is simply inaccurate. There were no Microsoft operating systems in existence in 1974. Microsoft was founded in 1975 to build compilers for the BASIC language targeting the Altair 8800.

The bug you are referring to involved an exclusive lock being placed on system objects such as “con” (console) when used as a file name as dates by most accounts back to the early 90s. The same long lived bug was recently squashed in Unix, Linux, and Windows 10.

As of Windows 95, Microsoft had cut the cord between windows and DOS. Windows NT got rid of most of remaining remnants of DOS. Windows 2000 converged the Windows 9x codebase and the Windows NT codebase.

I get that you don’t like Microsoft, but could you at least be realistic with your criticisms rather than spewing inaccurate dogma?
We will just have to agree to disagree. I have had Windows machines through XP that have DOS underneath, and the issue is reported widely as recently as late 2018.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=1974+filename+bug+dos+windows

Windows has never really been based on DOS. It could get bootstrapped on DOS and then it basically took over the machine - all of the DOS API calls such as int 21h and the like had Windows API alternatives.

The current versions of Windows that everyone uses are all based on the NT kernel which has never been DOS based. However, there is a subsystem in NT that can run 16-bit DOS and Windows apps called NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) - it's not supported on 64-bit Windows and it is not installed by default anymore.
I miss Windows NT, XP pro 64 bit...... But I don’t think about anything but Music on my MAC..... ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom