Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be a few more days. I'm in the middle of upgrading my computers to Windows 10 (reluctantly) and migrating to a new workstation.

I wondered about that .... I just got the "No longer supported" Blue Screen from Mircosoft yesterday. For me I guess I have to bite the bullet with a new machine as what I'm currently running isn't powerful enough to run Win 10 ! :mad:

I wondered about that .... I just got the "No longer supported" Blue Screen from Mircosoft yesterday. For me I guess I have to bite the bullet with a new machine as what I'm currently running isn't powerful enough to run Win 10 ! :mad:
Yep, MS killed Win7 support this week. Heard it on the radio, of all places.

Yep, MS killed Win7 support this week. Heard it on the radio, of all places.
This has been coming for a loooooong time. To be honest, you'd have to be pretty much living under a rock not to know.

My music machine is Win 7 too, and too old to go to 10, which I'm using on my main machine and at work and actually really like.

But a new machine worth doing costs significant money, so I'll continue procrastinating, and keep it off the net except for app updates and other downloads from places I trust. No surfing. It also has good antivirus.

Are you sure? There’s really only two things I’ve seen be an issue with an upgrade from Win7 - RAM and video card. As long as you have 8gb RAM you should be fine. It’ll run with less but you could start paging memory to disk more often if you run big apps. As for video card, check to see that it’s still supported on Windows 10.

This has been coming for a loooooong time. To be honest, you'd have to be pretty much living under a rock not to know.

My music machine is Win 7 too, and too old to go to 10, which I'm using on my main machine and at work and actually really like.

But a new machine worth doing costs significant money, so I'll continue procrastinating, and keep it off the net except for app updates and other downloads from places I trust. No surfing. It also has good antivirus.
The station that I listen to has been notifying its listeners for the past few months. Luckily I use a Mac; mine is a 2012 iMac that still runs great. We used to use PCs but my wife could kill any of them within a year. Her Macbook is 5 years old and has never been tossed about ;)

Last edited:
I'm not concerned with stability, I just hate the UI. They even ruined the calculator.

Eh. The UI is the same to me, the Start Menu has some foofy stuff that I mostly ignore. Playing “where’s Waldo” to find a control panel setting (old vs new style) is a pita but I don’t do that much.

But I’m right there with you on the calculator - I much prefer the old calc.exe. I never thought to just copy a version from an older version because I thought I’d get used to the new one but I haven’t.

Are you sure? There’s really only two things I’ve seen be an issue with an upgrade from Win7 - RAM and video card. As long as you have 8gb RAM you should be fine. It’ll run with less but you could start paging memory to disk more often if you run big apps. As for video card, check to see that it’s still supported on Windows 10.

I'll have to double check ( ? ) ..., but I'm pretty much a "hardware idiot" and I'm only repeating what my "computer guy" told me when I asked him about it a year ( or so ) ago !

I'm with you on that. I kept a Win 98 box for some old great games, a Win XP box for archives, a Win 7 box (which I use extensively for xyz stuff and a Win 10 box upstairs geared toward music related work. Worst of all is that the effective date (so far) for some variants of service Win 10 EOL is May 11, 2021. Stick it out as long as you can. Built in obsolescence is a fact of life. :moneybag:

I'm not concerned with stability, I just hate the UI. They even ruined the calculator.
Yeah it's a bit frustrating at first if you're used to win 7, but I have to say they also added a few nice things that speed up the workflow, for example the search in the start menu, or the shortcuts for resizing windows (drag a window all the way to one side and it resizes to exactly half screen, useful when you need to split the screen between 2 programs), and other things like that.

After about 3 years using it, I'd say most things in the UI make sense after all

That is most of what MS does. They jack the UI around to generate training revenue from all of their customers who can't find _____ any more. I have doubts that they have improved anything at all behind the UI....

That is most of what MS does. They jack the UI around to generate training revenue from all of their customers who can't find _____ any more. I have doubts that they have improved anything at all behind the UI....
I don’t know if you have ever developed in Windows or are even a developer, but this is an uninformed opinion.

I worked have done work for MS on the Windows Kernel as well as the OS messaging architecture.

Under the covers most everything from ring 1 out has been refactored since Windows 7. Ring 0 has seen big changes too. They are integrating .Net as a native part of the OS and have vastly improved the entire OS stack.

They have also played some catch up, adding Containers and native cloud support just to name a few of the improvements.

Microsoft has always been a development tools company. Windows was merely a way to sell compilers/IDEs. Now they are transitioning to being a Cloud tools company. The Azure platform and their cloud strategy has become a major revenue source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom