Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #2

The (possibly illusory) tonal difference that I'm experiencing can be "corrected" for with moves of .1 to .3 with the treble knob. If we're talking about the same thing, it's very minor.

I think this is the first time I've ever been hesitant to load an update. I was just thinking today that my rig sounds so killer that I don't want to touch it.
Do a backup of your presets first, and you can turn back time if you don't like it. What do you have to lose?

I think I found a bug, maybe someone can confirm. The normal volume on the Plexi 100W 1970 model doesn't do much, if anything. You can test it by turning the treble volume almost all the way down and then moving the normal volume through its range. The sound barely changes, but on the other jumpered Marshalls it works as expected.

Not if it’s not there though?

It’s very true we all perceive things differently, but that could be our minds telling us what to hear. If there was factually no change and someone hears something different, then is that hearing better?

we all have to learn how to hear as well. when i started playing guitar, i didn't hear the difference between neck and bridge pickups. now i wonder how that was even possible haha. i know people who can't hear a difference between a marshall and a boogie, a vox and a fender, a clean tone and a edge-of-breakup tone, a kemper vs an axe-fx. etc etc. you name it. we can't hear certain things unless we learn how to, or what to listen for. some people can't hear the difference between a C and a C7 chord. it is what it is, until we learn.
I mix for a living. I know how to hear.

I’m not trying to be a pain in the ass, and as someone mentioned, I can just twist the knob...but several people have mentioned it. I might go back to 11.01 (or maybe I was on just 11) to see if I’m crazy.

It's a different firmware with improved amp modeling, I won't expect it to sound the same...

Compensate accordingly and move on...it's going to change again as Cliff somehow finds more ways to improve things - just compensate accordingly again and be happy ;)

Guess some of us hear better than others.

I mean, Cliff definitively stated that there's no difference. In other words, he made no changes that would affect the frequency response of the models. If you hear something different, perhaps some parameters were reset during the upgrade. It's happened before. You tweak some deep param away from the defaults and when you load up the new firmware you've either reset to default yourself or the firmware did it for you. I'd bet any changes you hear are ones that you've made yourself.

Back
Top Bottom