Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 1.04

I can confirm this behavior.

Mac Pro: 10.13.3
Axe-Fx III: Ares Ver 1.04

Went to empty preset slot 400.
Created a preset (Input 1>Drive 1>Amp 1>Cab 1>Delay 1>Out 1)
Nav over to Amp block and hit Edit.
Encoder wheel will change the title for one value up or down from the current location.
Nav buttons will change the title for one push in any direction from the current location on the list.
Neither moves the cursor on the actual screen to show where you moved to on the list.

followed the exact procedure you enumerated and it functions flawlessly on my end. Firmware 1.04

also using MacOS 10.13.3 on a november 2016 touchbar macbook pro 15" -- but don't think that's relevant

Just got back from Opening Day as the Cubbies kicked some Marlin ass in their house (nice field, Jeter, now get your sh1t together in making the 0place run smoothly), and I had recieved a note from Mark( @Mark Day , I presume)in support suggesting I reload 1.04 so I shall give it a go.. @chris , the behavior is intermittent but only occurs when the AMP TYPE tab is open and changing amp types is being attempted on newly created presets, Thanks guys.
That's bad advice. This is a bug. Reloading the firmware won't solve anything.

I can confirm this behavior.

Mac Pro: 10.13.3
Axe-Fx III: Ares Ver 1.04

Went to empty preset slot 400.
Encoder wheel will change the title for one value up or down from the current location.
Nav buttons will change the title for one push in any direction from the current location on the list.
Neither moves the cursor on the actual screen to show where you moved to on the list.

Edit: I have tried this numerous times now and only had the above issue the first time. I shut the unit down and retraced the above steps and everything worked as expected.

What preset were you on prior to going to the empty preset? I think this is the key.

What preset were you on prior to going to the empty preset? I think this is the key.
i do not recall, but will try to monitor my activity for the next time. ......im pretty surei have been on a different stock preset each time before i have created a new one that caused the bug..

Last edited:

I believe it was the Capt Hook Scene 3 (preset 87)

At least that is what I turned off the unit last night with. I turned it on today and after seeing this post I...

PAGED to the Presets tab.
Used Value wheel to get to slot 400.
Then preceded with the aforementioned steps.

I'll try the same scenario again.

Last edited:
I believe it was the Cast Hook Scene 3 (preset 87)

At least that is what I turned off the unit last night with. I turned it on today and after seeing this post I...

PAGED to the Presets tab.
Used Value wheel to get to slot 400.
Then preceded with the aforementioned steps.

I'll try the same scenario again.

Ok. Happened again.

Put unit on Capt Hook Preset (87)
Turned unit off.
Turned unit on.
Paged right one to Presets tab.
Value wheel scrolled to preset 387. (random empty slot)
Can go back layout and edit any block except for the Amp block.
If I store the preset and come back to it the Amp block is editable.

Ok. Happened again.

Put unit on Capt Hook Preset (87)
Turned unit off.
Turned unit on.
Paged right one to Presets tab.
Value wheel scrolled to preset 387. (random empty slot)
Can go back layout and edit any block except for the Amp block.
If I store the preset and come back to it the Amp block is editable.

i've reproduced this here too

yep, set to preset 87, turned the unit off, then on again. if i set to another preset like #1 and restart the system, it's back to normal.

yep, set to preset 87, turned the unit off, then on again. if i set to another preset like #1 and restart the system, it's back to normal.
before you restart, when you set to another preset, does that preset's amp block function like normal? or is it once you go from preset 87, amp blocks never work again?

yeah , the HOOK #87 did trigger it for me again just now as well, but, again , I am pretty confident that I came from other presets as well during the numerous times I experienced it. ...

It's not the preset. I just happened to get lucky in that I last used preset 87 and it's stored with scene 3 as the default. This Amp block freezing happens when the Axe is booted on a preset with any scene other than scene one as default and trying to create a new amp block in a blank preset slot.

I have confirmed this with several presets.

Okay, i can reliably make it occur and not occur intentionally; tried a lot of variations.

so this is what's happening for me: the bug occurs when you boot up with preset 87 and page over to the preset menu to directly select an empty preset slot. You only need to add an amp block, and it occurs every time. How you stop it is go to any other saved preset and go back to an empty preset lot. There is something janky about that preset; scene 3 seems locked on default, but it doesn't matter which scene you use because the results are the same.

also you don't need to boot to the preset, simply being on 87 and directly paging over to select an unused slot to make a new patch will cause the bug to occur

This is true!

It's simple to recreate now.

Go to any preset by scrolling while on the Home page that defaults to any scene other than number 1.
Scroll to an empty preset slot and choose the Amp block.
Hit Enter and the issue occurs.

If you go back to that preset and highlight number one and then save it by hitting Store and repeat the above steps all is good.

Back
Top Bottom