Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.08

I've been playing in 4 cable method lately so I didn't noticem but will definitely a/b before updating. I usually don't notice differences unless they're huge updates.

It does sound really good but am I the only one not able to use the Song/setlist feature? It does not function at all for me.
I just ran Setlists/Songs a comprehensive test under 19.08 and everything seems fine here.

I will mention in passing, however, that I had recently performed RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS, so I was starting from a clean slate.

Fractal Audio is absolutely high on my list of very good things and that latest Matrix obscenity is totally on my list of very horrible things, although fortunately I did not pay to see it :rolleyes:
I have yet to compare the sound of 19.08 with my tried and trusted presets as I have just made a new one with a Plexi for the first time, having just jammed on the presets previously. I have been rewatching some of Circle of Tone's YouTube vids, one of the most interesting Youtubers IMHO, and am applying his research into making presets based on some of my favourite players. In this case with the Plexi I'm going for John Christ's tone on the first Danzig record. I'm having a blast. What a tool kit the Axe is...

Thanks once again Team Fractal
Edit; the video above is Owen Gibbens/Circle of Tone. He researches tones and attempts to reproduce them with analogue kit.

Last edited:
Man, I’ve got to find a way to make time to compare firmwares. I didn’t perceive any problems with the last firmware, but hell, last night, with the new one, it was the best tone I’ve ever had, and that’s really saying something.

I was using my trusty combo of 1981 DRV (Edit: I use the 1981 all the time, but in this case it was actually the OCD in High Peak mode!) Plexi 6AC7 (with Greenback curve and liberal output EQ, sucking out a good bit of low mids) Brownface Super with a 57 (factory bank 1 #811). Man, I knew I had to sleep, but I was up until 4 a.m. practicing because I could not put the guitar down.

And for me, who’s been pining after a 22 fret HSS guitar, I was finding peace with my 24 fret HH, with the neck in standard series humbucking mode. Just everything was sitting just right.

I often find depth in the power amp indirectly really affects the high end, so maybe this low end fix for the firmware has an even greater perceived effect on the overall frequency spectrum of the tone. Whatever the f**k it is, it’s f**king awesome, and I’m, for the thousandth time, grateful I bought this damn thing.

Last edited:
Fractal Audio is absolutely high on my list of very good things and that latest Matrix obscenity is totally on my list of very horrible things, although fortunately I did not pay to see it :rolleyes:
I have yet to compare the sound of 19.08 with my tried and trusted presets as I have just made a new one with a Plexi for the first time, having just jammed on the presets previously. I have been rewatching some of Circle of Tone's YouTube vids, one of the most interesting Youtubers IMHO, and am applying his research into making presets based on some of my favourite players. In this case with the Plexi I'm going for John Christ's tone on the first Danzig record. I'm having a blast. What a tool kit the Axe is... Next up I'm doing Geordie Walker/Killing Joke.

Thanks once again Team Fractal

Don't know him.
Is he a Fractal user?

I just ran Setlists/Songs a comprehensive test under 19.08 and everything seems fine here.

I will mention in passing, however, that I had recently performed RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS, so I was starting from a clean slate.
Thanks Matt, I might have to try that. Right now, if I type a name in and enter it it disappears and I can't click on any setlists and I can't import my songs or setlists. Thanks Matt!

I don’t notice a sound difference after rechecking everything but it sound good so 😅.

Retrying some marshall I got 2 questions :

Is it normal that the presence knob in the jcm800 act so slightly ?

is it normal that the presence knob in the afd
Completely change the sound when it’s maxed , like nothing really happens until your are at 9/10 on it ?

But yes updates are cool, you rediscover some amps everytime .

Will we have some new fx or heads in the future ?

Don't know him.
Is he a Fractal user?
No. He researches rigs and tries to recreate them analogue and I'm then copying them in my Axe. He had a baby a couple of years back and then moved and hasn't got his space for it at the moment so he isn't very active at the moment which is a real pity. He is Welsh and ended up in the States. His dad was the drummer in the band Badfinger. I'm not a fan of clinical Youtubers playing the same old metal and blues riffs (I know there are some very talented ones) but he is more about the old warts and all spirit of music, the vibe of bands tracking together etc... He has a good Facebook community of people who like to get their hands dirty with amps, speakers, pick ups. That said, I would love to see him in his present situation exploring the advanced parameters of an Axe3.

That thing is my favorite model. I love it with Factory Bank 1, #811, the Brownface Super with a 57. It's just an awesome and gnarly-ass rock sound, especially with the 1981 DRV or OCD (in either low or high peak mode) in front. Pure heaven.
Must try this. What settings are you guys using?

Back
Top Bottom