Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.06

got this unit in 2020 July as the first Modeller for me. Since then it has had very significant the no of improvements , updates, added functionalities, and major amp modelling changes.

When i got the unit , i never really expected it to be so well taken care of !

Just makes the unit worth every penny multiple times over!

At the risk of being asking a redundant question...how does it sound compared to 19.05?

19.05 has sounded spectacular at the last 2 jams I attended.

I mainly use the Dumble, Wrecker, Fender amp models.

Burgs Dumbles, the Kid Charlemagne preset, and the odd SRV preset are the ones I have tweaked to suit my setup.

Apart from bug fixes is there a reason to move to .06?

I ONLY USE PRESETS, NO SCENES, AND HAVE NO USE FOR SET LISTS.

Your thoughts please.

For mid to higher gain stuff, to get the leaner 19.05 sound on 19.06 I'm turning Transformer Match down as low as 0.5, and also reducing PI Excursion down as low as 50%. I haven't messed with lower gain stuff yet since updating to 19.06.

IMO it's always better to upgrade and adapt to any tone changes that may occur. Eventually a FW is going to show up that you are going to want, and you may have to deal with major changes then if you haven't been staying current.

People asked for sound clips - so here are the 8 amps I use in FW19.06 (first) and FW19.06 beta (2nd). Amp settings should be the same. Amps (in order of appearence)

Vibrato Verb Custom
Class A 30W TB
Brit JM45
5F8 Tweed Bright
Plexi 50W 6CA7
Class A 30W TB (dirtier setting)
Atomica High (I may need to reduce the bass on that one after listening to these clips)
USA IIC+

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23awylttpv8s62p/_NEW_Amp Leveling across Firmwares.wav?dl=0

The first four amps are re-amped with the same DI (for both firmwares), the next two amps use the same DI and the last two amps use the same DI. If I had known, any of these recordings would ever be public, I would have played something more interesting, something more better, and maybe even something more in tune (I think, it is only slightly off, but I have heard it soooo many times by now)

To me, the two firmwares sound very much the same, but the release is probably a touch 'bouncier'.

I have clips with the same DI tracks all the way back to FW12 (before that I used different DI tracks). I re-amp them every time and adjust the levels of each amp, so it is the same as before. These two amp blocks are global and I never use any other amp blocks (live). This is how I keep my levels consistent across all my presets across firmwares.

Last edited:
I got a chance to get stuck in to this update today and it's sounding fantastic all round. Have to be honest and say I'm not noticing much difference between the beta, but I didn't get chance to spend a lot of time with it unfortunately.

Off topic, but it's amazing the difference some ear fatigue can cause. I upgraded yesterday and everything sounded like ass..... A really hairy and fizzy ass, probably with some spots on it as well. Had a mild panic, downgraded back to the beta, but still that hairy ass.
Then the realisation. I just got done working seven night shifts in a row (which I rarely do nowadays) and had only had two hours sleep trying to get turned back around onto days. Fired it up today and all is well. phew

Does this necessitate an amp reset?

I'm sure the answer is "do what sounds good to your ears".

Personally for me, it sounded good, but I thought it could improve. I reset amps and made some adjustments. In most cases, I added some bass and decreased bright cap values.

I perceive a pretty big difference in the sound of my main preset with Friedman BE C45 and Dizzy V4 Silver 2. Not digging it as much. Could very well just be my ears today. I've had days where it sounds perfect and others that it hits me as "bleh" when no changes are made.
Jammed a bit today. Hit me much better. Didn't change the presets. Not sure if it was a difference in my ears after a day at work vs a weekend, a difference in temperature/humidity, or what. I turned on the unit thinking that I'd spend a lot of time tweaking today, but just ended up jamming. That's a good thing.

Stupid question: when people say "reset the amp block," I don't see that as an option when I right click it on Axe-Edit. Do you have to delete the block and put a new amp block on? If you load block settings from your library, does it still benefit from the reset? I know it's not needed in this firmware update, but I'm curious for when it does.

Tried out the current FAS high gain preset I’ve been using.

Placebo or not I do not know but my experience was the feel while playing metal music improved yet again. Something about the models just sounds, more punchy more aggressive? Palm mutes feel more responsive maybe? Maybe it is more compressed by a little. Or maybe the opposite I don’t know.

All I know for sure is any metal guitarist playing this rig would crap their pants. Played the br00talz and modern models for like 2 hours to the point of excessively sweating.

Many thanks guys.......I've now reached the point where I just want up dates for bug fixes......not so much for new features or sounds. I loaded up 19.06 and it didn't seem to make any major changes, but something didn't seem to sound as good as I remembered last week.......However I know better than to trust my memory.

I'm going to try your recommendations.....I really loved the 19.05 sound last week at a jam.

FYI I always test my sounds at performance volumes, often with a backing track to see how it blends.

I may find that many of the bugs in 19.05 may never impact on my usage and can always return to that if necessary.

Once again thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Many thanks guys.......I've now reached the point where I just want up dates for bug fixes......not so much for new features or sounds. I loaded up 19.06 and it didn't seem to make any major changes, but something didn't seem to sound as good as I remembered last week.......However I know better than to trust my memory.

I'm going to try your recommendations.....I really loved the 19.05 sound last week at a jam.

FYI I always test my sounds at performance volumes, often with a backing track to see how it blends.

I may find that many of the bugs in 19.05 may never impact on my usage and can always return to that if necessary.

Once again thank you all for your help.
The 19.05 tone came from an error on the transformer. You can dial that into other firmwares (like 19.06) by decreasing the transformer match.

Back
Top Bottom