Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

It's running 93.6% on firmware 16.03 and 93.6% on 16.04. You have two identical reverb blocks in parallel. Not sure what the point of that is. Remove one of them and you'll be fine.
The verbs are panned hard right and left and fed with only right and left signal to preserve the hard panned mono choruses and amp blocks. The verb blocks still sum the stereo input in the wet output, right?

I notice COMPANDER engaged in delay blocks adds 2% CPU usage. Was wondering why my bleeding edge presets were pushing CPU % WARNING with 16.04. LOL

Testing a Delay block on an empty preset I notice COMPANDER was on when the block was added. Is this standard behavior? I cleared the whole block chain to create this empty preset, maybe it carried over from the previous settings?

Not afaik - dry signal separation is maintained, but the wet reverb signal output is mono (not really noticable at normal reverb mix levels).
Yes, but even at 21% verb mix I can hear a difference in between my 2 mono L R verbs and a single verb block, especially with the L R side choruses in front of the amps. The stereo image of two discrete signal paths is preserved this way and sounds richer and more detailed.

I’m going to try and combine the 4 IRs on each side into a single IR, which will hopefully be enough to get me back down into the 80s of CPU…

Yes, but even at 21% verb mix I can hear a difference in between my 2 mono L R verbs and a single verb block, especially with the L R side choruses in front of the amps. The stereo image of two discrete signal paths is preserved this way and sounds richer and more detailed.

I’m going to try and combine the 4 IRs on each side into a single IR, which will hopefully be enough to get me back down into the 80s of CPU…
21% is a hi reverb mix for me. I agree there is some situations where a full stereo reverb using 2 reverb blocks L/R is great to have but I'm not sure its worth the cpu cost in many cases. For me a good use case for it is on heavy stereo delay into a highish mixed reverb (ie L/R ping pong delay into reverb where I want to hear the ping reverb only on the left and the pong reverb only on the right). I have my Axe3 Spdif'd into my AxeII often for this purpose running 2 hi-quality L/R reverbs in Axe2 and none on Axe3 to have more Axe3 capacity for other goodies.

Anyway, any preset running at 80%+ is in the danger zone /
- that's why they put to warning there. To save cpu I run reverb on Axe3 at economy and cabs at 512 - saves loads of cpu and I can't hear much difference really.

Last edited:
That should provide a significant CPU drop. You can test it by simply muting them to see the difference.

Hi 80s on the CPU might be pretty close to 6.3 G's! You might get away with it, but you might shit your pants.

The flight suit was not harmed in this video!

It'll certainly sound like something went for shit, when the "snap, crackle, pop" digital clipping starts - lol!

Testing a Delay block on an empty preset I notice COMPANDER was on when the block was added. Is this standard behavior?
I'm guessing and could be wrong, but I'm thinking the Compander being engaged is probably related to the type of delay selected. That said I haven't checked to see if it's on or off in all types.

Switched directly from 16.02 to 16.04. This might be the most audible change I experienced with a minor update. With one sentence, I can say that one more, maybe the last blanket is removed. :) Cleans are very nice and high gain amps are roaring more now. I didn't need to reset the amps or change the settings. I'll only try the darker IR mixes tonight.

@FractalAudio, just curious. Any plans to add the new companding algos into the analog chorus or flanger models? It sounds so good on the new delay models. Adds a certain BBD magic to the decays for sure.

Back
Top Bottom