Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

Aside from the crackling, to be clear, am I the only one experiencing an increase in CPU for the same presets in this firmware 16.04 vs 16.03?

While I very much enjoy the new firmware, my preset CPU has increased by about 7-8 % and now I have crackling. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Make sure you haven't accidentally changed a channel of a block in that preset.

My CPU went up almost 10%, has anyone else ever seen that kind of increase from a firmware update?

And, does this mean firmware updates are close to maxing out CPU?
Not necessarily. The firmware is almost always fine-tuned as it matures. I assume the same will happen with the Cygnus.

does this mean firmware updates are close to maxing out CPU?
I'm guessing pretty well any computing device can be maxed out on cpu if you turn on enough switches.

Generally, in computing, new release features require additional processing and that horsepower has to come from somewhere, but:
  • in the case of Axefx, the new feature might use cpu from the 2nd processor whose status is not exposed to users (though I think that cpu is mostly reserved for amp processing).
  • some new features could be accompanied by some design efficiency changes in the overall component such that overall cpu usage remains the same or is even reduced despite the new task to be done.
  • the new feature might be optional in that the additional cpu usage only gets accessed if you select / turn on the feature.
  • or, there is excess cpu available.
Having owned a few Axefx units over the past 10+ years I am continually amazed at how Fractal continues to add more and more features given finite processing resources in a given device; well beyond the point I would have guessed possible - I put it down to exceptional coding skills.

Thanks again for checking Cliff, I will post it later tonight. I was on the verge of overloading CPU at 85% before 16.04. I am have everything on high resolution,2 verb blocks, 2 amps, 4 IRs per amp. So I guess it’s not surprising, just wish I hadn’t tipped over the edge!

Thanks again for checking Cliff, I will post it later tonight. I was on the verge of overloading CPU at 85% before 16.04. I am have everything on high resolution,2 verb blocks, 2 amps, 4 IRs per amp. So I guess it’s not surprising, just wish I hadn’t tipped over the edge!
Did the reverbs quality get raised accidentally?

Aside from the crackling, to be clear, am I the only one experiencing an increase in CPU for the same presets in this firmware 16.04 vs 16.03?
CPU does sometimes change with different firmwares. I've noticed it many times over they years. Sometimes it goes up a bit, sometimes it goes down a bit, sometimes it stays about the same.

I went from 15.02 to 16.02. I reset amps and re-tweaked presets. Going from 16.02 to 16.03 I had a lot of presets flashing the warning for the CPU that weren't flashing before. In fact I had to delete a block in a couple of dozen presets to get the CPU warning to stop flashing.

Going to 16.04 I've had no increase in CPU that I can notice.

Last edited:
I just compared a two amp preset between 16.03 and 16.04 and the CPU use was identical. I can't do anymore without your actual preset.

Here it is, was around 85% before 16.04, might have to go back to 16.02 to recreate the difference. I think the change happened between .03 and .04, but I’m not totally sure…

Attachments

• 7 Green 6L6.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom