Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

In regard to Speaker Compression, should I be seeing the Gain meter on the Speaker Drive tab of Axe-Edit become active as I turn up Speaker Compression? Mine is not showing any activity regardless of the Speaker Compression setting on that tab (or other settings that I can tell). It always reads -6.0 dB. Is there an analogous meter on the hardware?

Also, do some models exhibit more noticeable speaker compression than others? I hear the effect of it (and like it) on a Plexi 50W patch for instance, but don't really hear anything when turning up the speaker compression on a Double Verb Vibrato patch.

1619132570222.png

@FractalAudio I hurt my back trying to pick up my fat cat this morning so I don't want to get up to walk over to my Axe and check.

are you saying you need that one modelled in the Axe FX for medical reasons?

cache_54983243.jpg

Dumb question: When you use the amp reset feature in Axe-Edit to reset the one preset you're already listening to, does it automatically save the preset?

Logically I'm thinking it must, since you could be resetting multiple presets.

It'd be nice if it could recognize this special case and NOT save, so you could compare with your original, without saving a copy first.

I think i figured out why it wasnt working. A lot of my presets use the buttery amp. That does not appear in the amp list anymore. I guess they got rid of that? Or did they rename it to something else? It wants to use buddah duomaster instead. That sucks if they got rid of that amp. Loved that amp.
This has been discussed in the Beta thread I think. The Buddah Duomaster replaced the Buttery. The Buttery was a FAS amp that Cliff made from a schematic I believe, but had no real amp to model more accurately. HE finally got his hands on a Buddah Duomaster and modeled it and replaced the Buttery with it. I have been a big fan of the Buttery too, but have not tried the new model that replaced it. Hopefully it is close. If it is not, I wish Cliff would leave the Buttery in there along with the Buddah Duomaster for those of us who really liked it. After all, it is a model that already existed. But I will reserve judgement until I have tried the new one.

In regard to Speaker Compression, should I be seeing the Gain meter on the Speaker Drive tab of Axe-Edit become active as I turn up Speaker Compression? Mine is not showing any activity regardless of the Speaker Compression setting on that tab (or other settings that I can tell). It always reads -6.0 dB. Is there an analogous meter on the hardware?

Also, do some models exhibit more noticeable speaker compression than others? I hear the effect of it (and like it) on a Plexi 50W patch for instance, but don't really hear anything when turning up the speaker compression on a Double Verb Vibrato patch.

View attachment 82309
I noticed same thing, but my example is the ac30tb. Not offering the following as a solution, but instead to try to better understand how things work maybe with your help (or maybe it’s a bug) ....

Ac30 isn’t a negative feedback amp, but to get the presence and depth controls to appear on the ideal page, you have to turn on some negative feedback. I don’t know whether the amp in your example preset is the same. Then I remembered reading this in the recent cab block guide (note: the final Cygnus version isn’t out yet),,,,,

Speaker Compression – Even if you never touch most advanced parameters in the Amp block, don’t overlook Speaker Compression, aka the “chunka chunka” parameter. It models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of a virtual speaker. Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression. Master, Presence, and Depth will interact considerably with Speaker Compression, with higher causing more compression. A gain reduction meter shows the amount of Speaker Compression when this parameter row is selected. Note that this parameter does not reset to its default value when changing the Amp Type.

Aside from that meter not seeming to work (which I noticed too). Does anything above possibly address the issue? I haven’t tinkered enough with those setting (master vol, presc., or depth) yet to hear if it changed compression. Wondering if you have?

I think i figured out why it wasnt working. A lot of my presets use the buttery amp. That does not appear in the amp list anymore. I guess they got rid of that? Or did they rename it to something else? It wants to use buddah duomaster instead. That sucks if they got rid of that amp. Loved that amp.
Buttery is not the same model as the buddah; buttery was replaced. If I recall from one of the beta threads, Buttery was a FAS creation. Not sure what would be closest. One of the Matchless perhaps?

Hi all !

Has anyone made a recording of say 3 or 4 of their favorite presets in 15.01 and then the exact same presets recorded on 16 Final so we can hear the differences ?

Thanks and all the best,
Ben

If I recall correctly they're the same amp.

Buttery is not the same model as the buddah; buttery was replaced. If I recall from one of the beta threads, Buttery was a FAS creation. Not sure what would be closest. One of the Matchless perhaps?
The original was a model Cliff created by ear based on the sound of (the band) Matchbox 20.

For Cygnus, Cliff bought and modeled a Budda TwinMaster which I think was the amp Matchbox 20 was using back in the day.

The DuoMaster is probably still closest to the Buttery model.

I wouldn't mind (or be too surprised) to see it get added back...

I wonder if Cliff can comment on how different his "by ear" model is from the real thing?

I totally dig the new one!

The original was a model Cliff created by ear based on the sound of (the band) Matchbox 20.

For Cygnus, Cliff bought and modeled a Budda TwinMaster which I think was the amp Matchbox 20 was using back in the day.

The DuoMaster is probably still closest to the Buttery model.

I wouldn't mind (or be too surprised) to see it get added back...

I wonder if Cliff can comment on how different his "by ear" model is from the real thing?

I totally dig the new one!
The Buttery (prefixed with 'FAS') would be great to see appear in the amp list next to the other FAS models.... :)

I noticed same thing, but my example is the ac30tb. Not offering the following as a solution, but instead to try to better understand how things work maybe with your help (or maybe it’s a bug) ....

Ac30 isn’t a negative feedback amp, but to get the presence and depth controls to appear on the ideal page, you have to turn on some negative feedback. I don’t know whether the amp in your example preset is the same. Then I remembered reading this in the recent cab block guide (note: the final Cygnus version isn’t out yet),,,,,

Speaker Compression – Even if you never touch most advanced parameters in the Amp block, don’t overlook Speaker Compression, aka the “chunka chunka” parameter. It models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of a virtual speaker. Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression. Master, Presence, and Depth will interact considerably with Speaker Compression, with higher causing more compression. A gain reduction meter shows the amount of Speaker Compression when this parameter row is selected. Note that this parameter does not reset to its default value when changing the Amp Type.

Aside from that meter not seeming to work (which I noticed too). Does anything above possibly address the issue? I haven’t tinkered enough with those setting (master vol, presc., or depth) yet to hear if it changed compression. Wondering if you have?
I tried cranking Presence, Depth, Master Volume and the Speaker Compression but still don't get much with some amps.

The meter in the Amp's Speaker Drive tab of Axe-Edit doesn't seem to be active, even at extreme settings. There's a meter on the hardware on the Amp's Dynamics tab. Although the Blocks manual says that the default values should give around 3dB of compression, I'm usually seeing under 1dB register on the meter with default values. If I crank the Speaker Compression up to 10, I can see 3-4dB of compression on the meter. Cranking Presence and Depth aren't showing me much effect on the speaker compression either, but perhaps it's amp-dependent.

So, I'd have to hear more about what we're supposed to be seeing. It may depend on several combinations of things. But I'd love to be able to dial it in for all the amps as I like it :).

I am also experiencing a static -6 db label on the speaker compression meter, with no blue indicator at all showing in the meter. Not sure if a bug or if I am just doing something incorrectly....

I am also experiencing a static -6 db label on the speaker compression meter, with no blue indicator at all showing in the meter. Not sure if a bug or if I am just doing something incorrectly....
Confirmed. There is a blue indicator on the front panel, but it shows what the numbers already show: fixed at -6 dB.

Back
Top Bottom