Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, long as I'm being an old codger, my initial programming adventures...

I was a broke musician, so I built and modified a lot of my own electronics. Analog at first, but after a while I wanted to do stuff that needed digital, like midi. I built a drum trigger thing with midi out, no microprocessor, all descrete digital components, because I didn't know anything about programming etc.

That was kinda cool, but so dumb. Next I built a Z80-based development tool for building other microprocessor-based devices. Input was via hex rotary switches, programming in machine code. Used that to build another generation of the same sort of thing, with a hex keypad and a 2-line lcd display this time.

Quite cool, but still really dumb. Then a friend's company was throwing out a bunch of Apple IIs, drives, printers, etc, so I took them, and started to learn programming. Still at it :)

Oh, and was born in 72. I thought I was old until I read the last few posts. My fingers are definitely slower now than when I was 20, but they still work OK. Whenever I think age is the issue with my playing I just watch one of Marco Fanton's videos and realize I just don't practice enough.

You haven't done programming until you have done LISP. I saw a verilog parser done in LISP that had gotten printed while I was in college. The last 2 pages were almost entirely close parenthesis.

Isn't Verilog an HDL? How do LISP and Verilog go together?

Funny, I need to learn JCL now to support some legacy COBOL systems at work as 2 guys on the team with 30+ years experience each are retiring in the next year. No new JCL is being created but I need to be able to support what is there.
I used to support some financial systems running on really old DEC machines (PDP11) - the antique variation of Basic running there was so old that there was a very finite amount of space available for variables. Every January we would pray that the yearly legislative changes related to our systems would not be too complex because we were so close to the edge on variable space that we'd have to go in looking for variable names that could be shorted to reclaim some space. If you found a variable named "TAXPAYABLE" you'd jump for joy cuz you could shorten that to "TXPBL" everywhere it was used and pocket 4 precious characters to use elsewhere. We kept those ricketty old systems going for decades - made me old before my time - lol!

Last edited:
JCL is kind of like that too. Program names limited to 8 characters and stuff like that. The funny part is now we run it under emulation, the mainframe is gone for almost 10 years now.

The new Plexi 50W 6CA7 amp shows 4x12 Brit Greenback in the Speaker Impedance Curve suggestion. Anybody know another good cab that would compliment to set up dual cabs for the 6CA7?

Nice jam!

I really do wonder about my setup. I try presets like these (was able to get the settings off the vid, and the right IR), and it is SOOOOO bright on my studio monitors, using my PRS Cu24 with a WCR Godwood bridge pickup. Brutal. If I roll the tone knob off to about 3, I can tolerate it, but otherwise it is just shrill. Only thing I couldn't see from the vid was where the highs are rolled off on the cab IR, so I'm betting you just leave it stock at 20k.

I also noticed I had to turn the input drive down relative to this video to get something other than just fuzz, and this isn't a really hot pickup. Maybe you rolled off the volume knob (without a treble bleed?) for that main riff, then dimed it for the solo?

Really good tones in this amp, for sure, but...I wonder.

This was just guitar - amp model - cab with the cab preamp low/high cut at 80hz/10k. Keep in mind you're heading heading everything leveled against bass and drums and the rhythm guitar is doubled.

Isn't Verilog an HDL? How do LISP and Verilog go together?

Did double take, thought you said "Versilog." That should bring back fond high/junior high school chem/physics, college, or tech school memories (to those who haven't started to forget things yet - LOL)

Houston....I got a problem. I was enjoying Firmware 14 and just going through some amps when I came across something a little strange. The JVM amp is acting weird, like a tube is blown or going bad. At first I thought the battery on my guitar was going out, so I switched guitars and same deal happening. What's happening is that when I play notes on the second string at the 9, 10, 11, 12th frets the output of the axe-fx cuts out for a second. can someone try this preset to confirm this glitch? And YES I know that I have the preamp gain cranked. I did it because it further exaggerates the issue.

Attachments

• Singtall JVM Blown Tube.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Not me – I put my U.S. Government Pandemic Stimulus check to work. And those funds went right to a worthy American employer.
Argh, still don't have ours. They say it should have gone out, in May if I remember right, but it got screwed up by the company that was supposed to send debit cards, and they're still trying to fix it, they say. Not that you could tell from here...

I know there are plenty of folks in way way tougher shape than us, and I'm super grateful to be working, at home even (love it), but we could really use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom