Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think you can tune individual strings w a shifter you need something like a evh dtuna

Not sure if it's at all possible, but it'd so useful.
There's plenty the Axe3 does already that was thought pretty impossible

Time will tell

The problem with an "auto Drop D" mode is how do you tell a note is on the lowest string? Take the lowest note and drop it? Won't work if you're playing a chord with a root on the A string. Only drop it if that note is below an A? Suddenly your Drop D stops being Drop D once you get above the 7th fret. Use a complex detection which listens for the sonic differences between upper fret notes and lower fret notes? Maybe, but that's going to be a pain making it work universally across guitars, pickups, string gauges, and even other tunings. Or you tune it specifically to your guitar with a learning mode but you've still got palm mutes and playing dynamics which could trip it up. Any of the notes where it's borderline could be inconsistent or oscillate back and fourth. What about extended range?

And even if you're 99% accurate that still means one note out of 100 is going to come out wrong and as a musician isn't that still enough to make it useless?

If you has individual string information and outputs then you can just pitch shift them individually but now that's a very different thing. Just re-tune the one string, or pitch the whole thing down a step and transpose it to D Standard.

Yep totally agree with above, would be great to have a drop D tuning option but really struggle to see how it could possibly work

Yep totally agree with above, would be great to have a drop D tuning option but really struggle to see how it could possibly work

its kind of like a sustainer
you can simulate it with something like
freqout or compression but the actual
pickup that does it is physically causing the string to vibrate it not a software but a real world interaction
from the magnets

I think the Fishman triple play uses a technology that detects the harmonic behind the fretted note in order to allow the fretboard to be split into different synth tones. I'm not sure that technology could be implemented here. The triple play uses a divided pickup but if such an algorithm could be developed, then once you get above A if the accompanying behind the fretted note harmonic is detected, it would indicate that the note is actually on the E string. I'm not suggesting this is possible without a hex pickup, but if it could be done that might be how to approach it.

I couldn't find the original article I read and couldn't remember details, I think the gist of what I was getting at is still valid. It's just that instead of listening to the harmonic behind the string it's listening to that high pitch frequency that comes from the pick or pluck attack?

I think the Fishman triple play uses a technology that detects the harmonic behind the fretted note in order to allow the fretboard to be split into different synth tones. I'm not sure that technology could be implemented here. The triple play uses a divided pickup but if such an algorithm could be developed, then once you get above A if the accompanying behind the fretted note harmonic is detected, it would indicate that the note is actually on the E string. I'm not suggesting this is possible without a hex pickup, but if it could be done that might be how to approach it.
A pickup cannot hear the "harmonic behind the fretted note".

I couldn't find the original article I read and couldn't remember details, I think the gist of what I was getting at is still valid. It's just that instead of listening to the harmonic behind the string it's listening to that high pitch frequency that comes from the pick or pluck attack?

The original Sustaninac ,was a piece of hardware that was attached behind the headstock , it was a transducer I believe , its was bulky as hell
I think even had to be plugged in to a power outlet :(, George Lynch had one on the Back for the Attack album in pictures

Fernandes Guitars and Hamer Chaperell were the the first to actually licence the use of the Sustainer pickup versions I believe

No, it isn't listening to or for a high pitched frequency in any sense. It is assessing the overall "signature" of the transient.

I don't know if it can be implemented, but having drop D in the pitch block would be fantastic
If by "drop d" you mean "the lowest string is tuned to a D and everything else is normal guitar tuning" -- then, no, it's not possible. Not with a standard guitar pickup. It's near impossible to know where a note is being played in order to do this. Take the lowest A on your guitar. In drop D that can be an open 2nd string or the 7th fret on your 1st string -- only one of those positions would warrant being shifted down a whole tone in drop D tuning. You need both pitch and string detection to do this well and with a standard pickup you have only pitch detection.

Maybe my understanding of transient is off then. How would you describe the transient? I know it's a very short-lived frequency hence the name, I always thought it was higher pitched in nature.

its kind of like a sustainer
you can simulate it with something like
freqout or compression but the actual
pickup that does it is physically causing the string to vibrate it not a software but a real world interaction
from the magnets

Seems like you're discussing feedback. Thought we were discussing virtual tuning up and down.

Using the pitch block as a whammy, its not as smooth as my Whammy II pedal. If I'm up an octave and bend the notes I get that fluctuation kind of sound. I can smooth it out but I don't get as good of tracking as my pedal. Its not really bad but will it be better with the new update?

Maybe my understanding of transient is off then. How would you describe the transient? I know it's a very short-lived frequency hence the name, I always thought it was higher pitched in nature.

A transient is simply a sound with a high amplitude that lasts for a very short duration at the beginning of a waveform. They're not necessarily frequency dependent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom