Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.05

Not sure what you mean by "pushed mode". All the Fender amp models can be "pushed". Just turn up the input gain? Push the front end with some mild overdrive? Use the boost function in the amp block?

What Fender amp is that and what exactly does pushed do? If all it does is push the input gain, you can do that with any amp model a variety of ways which can be assigned to a control switch. You don’t have to have a parameter named “pushed”.

The clean channel uses the same built-in tube screamer as the other channels. There's a single fixed tube screamer circuit at the input of the amp. It can be switched in via relays which are controlled by the channel switches.
do you have a recommendation which option to use to best recreate this, the T808 input boost or a drive block ?

do you have a recommendation which option to use to best recreate this, the T808 input boost or a drive block ?

Try both. As long as your dive block is before the amp, both methods should produce a similar result? I opted for the input boost and added additional drive block before the amp for even more saturation for leads.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I just don't get the desire to be authentic vs the desire to do what sounds good to my ears. I mean the whole, which drive sounds like the real amp vs which drive sounds like the sound I have in my head that I'm trying to get. I prefer to use my ears to go after what I want and I'll tweak plenty of things that the real amps don't have in order to get there. Maybe it isn't authentic, but that's probably why I'm getting better sounds out of the emulated TC than I got out of my real one {which was one of the best real amps I ever owned).

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I just don't get the desire to be authentic vs the desire to do what sounds good to my ears. I mean the whole, which drive sounds like the real amp vs which drive sounds like the sound I have in my head that I'm trying to get. I prefer to use my ears to go after what I want and I'll tweak plenty of things that the real amps don't have in order to get there. Maybe it isn't authentic, but that's probably why I'm getting better sounds out of the emulated TC than I got out of my real one {which was one of the best real amps I ever owned).
+10^infinity

I have a friend who’s been playing through the same Fender Tweed and Blackface amps since the 1970’s. He’s been considering going the modeling route due to his age and physical condition. His tube amps are just too heavy to transport to and from gigs. He’s looking into the FM3 and appreciates the fact that he can dial in the amp models using the authentic controls, for he has been using specific settings for decades.

Will it give him tones identical to his existing amps? Perhaps. Maybe not. But it will at least get him close.

I just don't get the desire to be authentic vs the desire to do what sounds good to my ears

It's not so much a matter of being elitist or cork sniffing as much as it is not knowing wtf Mesa used in the amp...and blue collar Joe not knowing where to even start guessing at it...where one option is the user blindly tries to earball it, the other option being FAS puts it on a button that does exactly what the amp does and everyone is like 'hfs this sounds amazing, thanks again FAS'

I don't think it's as much as authenticity, but rather "Wow I can now hear what a Bogner sounds like and customize it to my taste".

Honest talk here, I want authentic because I have never been able to afford more than 1 amp at a time. When my kids get older and I theoretically have more $$ to spend then I’ll know what kind of tube amps to go buy thanks to my axeIII.

Side note- with fractals knowledge and experience modeling amps from the fpga/dsp side, I bet they could make an excellent and unique tube amp if they wanted. I can imagine one with FX8 and loadbox capability built in.

I’ve never owned a Morgan, nor a cornford, nor a splawn, nor a .... If it was only about the sound in my head, I’d probably just use a plexi or a mk2c+ model, maybe a deluxe reverb.
But having all these models in there means I can discover new sounds. I really like the AC-20 for example...It is very useful to get a ballpark tone on how the amp is supposed to sound before going in and mangling it to make it sound the way I want it to.

I've only owned a single tube amp in my life, a Mesa Nomad 45 2x12 combo amp. Thing was an absolute nightmare to haul around. I sold it a couple years later when I got into modelers and never looked back. Even when modeling wasn't that great yet back in the mid-aughts, the benefits vastly outweighed the drawbacks for me.

It will be nice to have the image of the face of the reel amp in Axe-Edit when in the authentic page.

I could consider the Axe-Fx as a virtual visit of the amps world :)

...I just don't get the desire to be authentic vs the desire to do what sounds good to my ears...).
I have much the same mindset. Heck, I hadn't even heard of many of the amps (or drives) Cliff has modeled until I started using the Axe-Fx, so I have no clue what a Deathknell 5000 Greendot Super is supposed to sound like in the first place. I've learned a ton about the different amp "families" out there as a result of using the Axe-Fx. Nowadays when I have a particular sound in my head (or when I'm trying to get something close to whatever was used for a cover song I'm trying to learn), I can usually find a pretty good starting place among the multitude of models available, but I don't worry about what specific amp I'm using. I just use my ears.

+10^infinity
I tried to do the math on this, but it broke my slide rule. :D

I start from the Authentic tab as a way of finding the 'right' amp for a given sound I want. If it isn't at least close to right with the Authentic set, I try a different one. Saves a lot of time barking up the wrong tree.

Plus, a lot of these amps are ones I have never encountered IRL, so it gives a nice introduction to the amp....

Back
Top Bottom