Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.03

Here's a comparison of 11.02 and 12.03... I don't know how to reamp so I played the parts twice, so take it with a grain of salt. But I think my playing is consistent enough from take to take to have a fun comparo (and not much more - haha).

I set up the amp (Matchless D30 EF86) and cab models (stock Matchless cabs) exactly the same for both takes. The only change was the FW version. I run a pedalboard in stereo in front of the Axe III using the front input and input #2 Left. I imagine that's different than most of you, but I'm not sure how that affects things (if at all) vs using all Axe effects in front of the amp models.

Signal path was: Guitar (Suhr Strat) -> pedalboard (stereo out) -> Axe III USB out -> Logic (no pre or post processing) bounce -> Soundcloud uncompressed.

Please excuse the shoddy playing. Anyhoo, this was enlightening for me.
11.02 Playing Test

12.03 Playing Test

Here's a comparison of 11.02 and 12.03... I don't know how to reamp so I played the parts twice, so take it with a grain of salt. But I think my playing is consistent enough from take to take to have a fun comparo (and not much more - haha).

I set up the amp (Matchless D30 EF86) and cab models (stock Matchless cabs) exactly the same for both takes. The only change was the FW version. I run a pedalboard in stereo in front of the Axe III using the front input and input #2 Left. I imagine that's different than most of you, but I'm not sure how that affects things (if at all) vs using all Axe effects in front of the amp models.

Signal path was: Guitar (Suhr Strat) -> pedalboard (stereo out) -> Axe III USB out -> Logic (no pre or post processing) bounce -> Soundcloud uncompressed.

11.02 Playing Test

12.03 Playing Test

To me both sounded great. The 11.03 sounded a touch more spiky on the high end. Also, 12.03 sounded more robust in the mid range. I especially noticed it around the middle where you come in with a bar chord. I recently gigged with 12.03 and was really happy with the way it cut with keys and drums.

To me both sounded great. The 11.03 sounded a touch more spiky on the high end. Also, 12.03 sounded more robust in the mid range. I especially noticed it around the middle where you come in with a bar chord. I recently gigged with 12.03 and was really happy with the way it cut with keys and drums.
Thank you!

Gigged last night with 12.03! I use many different amps/speakers/effects! Didn’t have time to tweak sounds before hand. My sounds were totally soaring, dynamic and sustaining like never before! I do have to do some adjusting to a few of my cleaner sounds but so so worth it!
This firmware is a game changer and I would almost be afraid to update after this if it were compromised to please those that don’t have time or inclination to tweak their sounds for this update!

I've been playing some Matchless Chieftain lately because of this thread and it's perfect for indie rock. Apparently I've learned a handful of Silver Jews and Purple Mountains songs by osmosis because those songs have have been pouring out of me when I play this amp.
LOL! I totally get that! First time my friend Marty handed me his 660/12, I spontaneously started playing "American Girl" by Tom Petty.

Last edited:
I've been playing some Matchless Chieftain lately because of this thread and it's perfect for indie rock. Apparently I've learned a handful of Silver Jews and Purple Mountains songs by osmosis because those songs have have been pouring out of me when I play this amp.
The Cheiftan model seems to have a bit more headroom than the DC30 model. Was playing with it last night thanks to your post. Great sounding model (Boutique 1). With some EQ'ing and a preamp tube change to the EF86 you can get the Chieftain to sound like a higher headroom DC30.

I loaded a few of the FM3 presets into my AxeFX III with version 12.03 just to see what the FM3 will be capable of handling with regards to the number of blocks. Anyway, I have FM3 preset "Heavily Processed" loaded and I'm getting pops when changing from Scene 4 to Scene 5, and from Scene 6 to Scene 7 while sustaining a chord as it changes. I don't remember if problems with some popping were reported earlier in this thread, if so, the FM3 present provides another example.

Adding to this, this occurs both with AxeEdit loaded or unloaded, so AxeEdit is not the culprit.

I loaded a few of the FM3 presets into my AxeFX III with version 12.03 just to see what the FM3 will be capable of handling with regards to the number of blocks. Anyway, I have FM3 preset "Heavily Processed" loaded and I'm getting pops when changing from Scene 4 to Scene 5, and from Scene 6 to Scene 7 while sustaining a chord as it changes. I don't remember if problems with some popping were reported earlier in this thread, if so, the FM3 present provides another example.
Can you post that preset so I can check? It's probably already fixed but I want to be sure.

Here it is as exported from the AxeIII. I did not make any edits to the preset.

Attachments

• Heavily Processed.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Just a short and simple line in the release notes says "Improved amp modeling" but that sure seems like an understatement. I don't know what you did but the amps just came alive, especially the high-gain models, and I am ecstatic. Thank you!!!
Yeah it’s just crazy. I play in a duo with an acoustic/singer so there’s nowhere to hide 😂 and he usually doesn’t say much, but for this fw he said “that sounds fantastic”

11.02 Playing Test

12.03 Playing Test

I like the 11.02 version more. It could be just because the playing is slightly different but 11.02 seems slightly less compressed / more dynamic. This of course is 1. my subjective opinion and 2. I'm sure that the amp changes in 12.03 are more realistic to the amp and a tweak or two would get it back to v11.02. or 3. It is all just in my mind!

I like the 11.02 version more. It could be just because the playing is slightly different but 11.02 seems slightly less compressed / more dynamic. This of course is 1. my subjective opinion and 2. I'm sure that the amp changes in 12.03 are more realistic to the amp and a tweak or two would get it back to v11.02. or 3. It is all just in my mind!
I don't have any issue with the current FW but I'm starting to agree, my preference is 11.02, couldn't tell you why though. This happens from time to time as we progress onward. If 12.04 isn't your preferred cup of tea, chances are the next one will be. Off to a gig and enjoy my PRS 594 through the Axe III and CLR...

Back
Top Bottom