Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.03

They actually said something to you about your tone? Or talking more hypothetical? Do you actively gigging guys ever get rude people walk up and tell you they don’t like your tone or gear?
I have gigged with Fractal gear for about 6 years and never had anyone say they didn’t like the tone/effects. Quite the contrary, I have never had as many compliments on tone and effects as I have received in the past few years, especially from sound techs at our larger stage gigs. The sound guys seem to be pretty stoked about how easy it is too. Plug in 2 XLR’s and done.

They actually said something to you about your tone? Or talking more hypothetical? Do you actively gigging guys ever get rude people walk up and tell you they don’t like your tone or gear?
I actually had this happen to me. From a couple musicians I know who came to a show. When I asked how we sounded. They said the band musically was solid, but they didnt like the guitar sound. The said they like real amps better. That only happened once.

I actually had this happen to me. From a couple musicians I know who came to a show. When I asked how we sounded. They said the band musically was solid, but they didnt like the guitar sound. The said they like real amps better. That only happened once.
Many people form this opinion before hearing anything and just seeing no amp and a modeler. A usual complaint is the guitars aren’t “loud enough like a real amp.”

Well guess what, I’m using modeling specifically so it isn’t too loud. Many guitarists just enjoy a loud amp covering the rest of the band. I don’t.

I gigged 12.03 last night. I made no changes to my presets and just went with it.

The "chin rubbing" valve amp guys glaring at me from the back of the room were very upset by midnight.

Thanks Cliff !
And I'm guessing it's the same kinda guys bread was talking about LOLL

The amp purists who insist that the amp will always sound better even though the proof of the pudding has already been well established AND enjoyed!

Many people form this opinion before hearing anything and just seeing no amp and a modeler. A usual complaint is the guitars aren’t “loud enough like a real amp.”

Well guess what, I’m using modeling specifically so it isn’t too loud. Many guitarists just enjoy a loud amp covering the rest of the band. I don’t.
My axe is in a rack on the side of the stage, usually with the front not exposed as there are other things on the back side of the rack I usually need more-connections, wireless, power etc.

So the stage is clean, and it irks people to no end trying to figure out what I'm using Hahahaha!!

I make them guess, it's usually a pretty fun game :D

A usual complaint is the guitars aren’t “loud enough like a real amp.”
We arent a very loud band anyway. The other guitarist who leads the band want the audience to be able to talk while we are playing. I see his point, but rock is supposed to be loud.

We arent a very loud band anyway. The other guitarist who leads the band want the audience to be able to talk while we are playing. I see his point, but rock is supposed to be loud.
Why would you want people to talk while you’re playing? Shouldn’t they be dancing and singing along? :rolleyes:

Just want to echo what some people have already said about this firmware, that is, that pinch harmonics are happening much more easily and sound better than before. Maybe its just my imagination since I haven't played much lately, but they just seem effortless now. Overall, I think this FW sounds simply amazing, although I am having to tweak some of my non-factory presets to dial out a bit of fizz here and there. I should probably wait and see how the presets sit in the mix of my band before tweaking? Is anyone else noticing a bit of fizziness?

See how the fizz sits in the band mix - a little usually helps you maintain your position in the mix, if it's too much, the hi cut can be used to help that a bit. Don't forget to use the new filter slopes to get the sound you're looking for!

Edit - don't overlook smoothing too!

See how the fizz sits in the band mix - a little usually helps you maintain your position in the mix, if it's too much, the hi cut can be used to help that a bit. Don't forget to use the new filter slopes to get the sound you're looking for!

Edit - don't overlook smoothing too!

@jon - Do you recommend the high-cut on the Preamp Page of the Amp Block or the High Cut in the Cab block?

A
And I'm guessing it's the same kinda guys bread was talking about LOLL

The amp purists who insist that the amp will always sound better even though the proof of the pudding has already been well established AND enjoyed!

A good trick that I like to do to the "chin rubbing amp purists" is get a crunchy preset in a quiet moment when there is lots of fog and haze. Lift the guitar up so its flat then blow on the strings starting from the bridge to the neck. Makes a weird noise ...

It works every time

Reactions: jon
My axe is in a rack on the side of the stage, usually with the front not exposed as there are other things on the back side of the rack I usually need more-connections, wireless, power etc.

So the stage is clean, and it irks people to no end trying to figure out what I'm using Hahahaha!!

I make them guess, it's usually a pretty fun game :D

You need to go and buy a $50 lil gorilla combo w 8' inch speaker and put it on top of the rack case with a radio shack mic in front

The new amplifier simulation sound has become worse compared to 12.02. IMHO. Rolled back 12.02.
I need to roll back and check, but I'm hearing something in the high-end that I'm not fond of. It's almost like a cycling, or clicking, type of sound.

I had a side convo with @boyce89976. He’s using:
1. 2x12 Matchbox2 -L 57 D AB (Factory 2 #86)
2. 2x12 Matchbox2 -R 57 D AB (Factory 2 #89)
3. 2x12 Matchbox2 -L 121 B AB (Factory 2 #88)
4. 2x12 Matchbox2 -R 121 B AB (Factory 2 #91)

For me I liked it better with just the 57s. It was more bright and the tone I was after. I liked the 121 which thickened the low end up but it took away from the brightness on the high strings. I tried to cut the highs from the 121 but it didn’t work to my liking.
I've since backed the 121 IR's off by -2dB for the same reason!

That D-30 model is so good, I haven't spent much, if any, time playing other models, haha!

I often get regular punters in pubs commenting that it sounds “f*kn awesome”... and we also play reasonably quiet, so people can still talk if they raise their voice a little bit. Definitely would not be possible to get good tones at that volume when I was using a valve amp, even with a power attenuator. The people don’t give a shit what gear you use, they just want to blow off steam and forget their troubles for a while. Much easier to provide this community service now that I can consistently dial in great sounds that suit any song or genre.

Back
Top Bottom