Axe-Fx III Firmware 27.00 Release

Oh I'm glad you wrote this; I hadn't considered the 800 Mod with the recent improvements. That one was my main amp model for quite a while, but I had barely touched it in the past couple of years. Thanks for the reminder!
Bro....bro....if you were to hear my Kill em'all / RTL presets (both use the 800 mod) you would swear Flemming Rasmussen himself sent me the wav. files. Bold statement I know. If your interested I posted a KEA one a while back, ppl seemed to enjoy it💪😎

Now that we've had the final release for a little bit, a bunch of people tested the public beta, and there seems to have been extensive testing of the private betas, does anyone have any tips or tricks to get a clean pitch shifted down tone to sound as natural as possible? I did more testing last night with the chords mode and Pitch Tracking at 10, but I'm still struggling to mask the glitchiness when you, e.g., play an arpeggio in 8th notes, or if you play dissonant intervals.

What I'm trying to ascertain is if I'm hitting the limits of what the pitch block can do or if there's something I'm missing. I've read Cliff's notes about the shifting methods that engineers use, so I'm guessing that a clean 7 string emulation is not possible in a way that would fool you ears.

For single notes, power chords, and octaves, with careful pitch block level, low cut, and high cut settings, I can get the pitch block to sound astoundingly natural.

Years ago I sold my 5th generation Digitech Whammy because I was able to get great results with the Axe-FX III for the single note, power chord, octave use case, but I remember anything harmonically interesting had latency that bugged me on the Whammy with its polyphonic setting, so I just felt like it wasn't worth it.

If Serato Pitch 'N Time is the gold standard (and of course designed for entire mixes), and that cannot be run realtime, my assumption is for realtime applications the answer is just to avoid trying pitch shifting for anything more harmonically complex than a 5th or 4th. I have tuning machines, and I can just use them haha. But again, I may be missing some ingredient in how to get this to work well.

A good test is really to play something with a single dissonant note, like an add 9 minor chord, to ring out notes in an arpeggio, and see what glitches. Sorry if this sounds like I'm harping on this, so I'll leave it alone if there are no responses, but I feel like there's an ingredient in just missing!

Now that we've had the final release for a little bit, a bunch of people tested the public beta, and there seems to have been extensive testing of the private betas, does anyone have any tips or tricks to get a clean pitch shifted down tone to sound as natural as possible? I did more testing last night with the chords mode and Pitch Tracking at 10, but I'm still struggling to mask the glitchiness when you, e.g., play an arpeggio in 8th notes, or if you play dissonant intervals.

What I'm trying to ascertain is if I'm hitting the limits of what the pitch block can do or if there's something I'm missing. I've read Cliff's notes about the shifting methods that engineers use, so I'm guessing that a clean 7 string emulation is not possible in a way that would fool you ears.

For single notes, power chords, and octaves, with careful pitch block level, low cut, and high cut settings, I can get the pitch block to sound astoundingly natural.

Years ago I sold my 5th generation Digitech Whammy because I was able to get great results with the Axe-FX III for the single note, power chord, octave use case, but I remember anything harmonically interesting had latency that bugged me on the Whammy with its polyphonic setting, so I just felt like it wasn't worth it.

If Serato Pitch 'N Time is the gold standard (and of course designed for entire mixes), and that cannot be run realtime, my assumption is for realtime applications the answer is just to avoid trying pitch shifting for anything more harmonically complex than a 5th or 4th. I have tuning machines, and I can just use them haha. But again, I may be missing some ingredient in how to get this to work well.

A good test is really to play something with a single dissonant note, like an add 9 minor chord, to ring out notes in an arpeggio, and see what glitches. Sorry if this sounds like I'm harping on this, so I'll leave it alone if there are no responses, but I feel like there's an ingredient in just missing!
I think it would help a lot if you recorded something to go along with your question

I experienced some issues here too. Was trying to play the intro to Mr Brightside..BUT...the band I'm playing it for sings it 1 1/2 steps down. I thought I'd be able to use the VC but it wasn't really happening. Opted to tune a guitar down but that's not great either. I am doing some other things tuned down 2 steps with VC - more chord related and it seems to do better (also more gain on those)

I'm not sure if this is a direct result of this FW update but its been awhile since I've visited a dual amp preset of mine. I have often struggled with dual amp setups sounding a bit jumbly/muffled. I started tweaking this one preset I had for STP type stuff as I was actually working on a Billy Talent Song (River below) so wanted a similar DNA. Jangly top end with some mid chewie meat underneath. The AC30 brilliant (largely based off one of Austin Buddy's presets) and Amp 2 I am using the Cameron CCV 2C. I think this is the first time I've been quite happy with how its sounding. There was always something off before but I admit it's probably user error and I've learned how to better dial in the amps to compliment eachother vs compete in certain frequencies. Anyhow, whatever it is....its sounding well...brilliant. Using my Charvel Govan also with the single coil emulation and I'm also hearing some great Tragically Hip sounds that I'll have to visit. I hit the A and I'm hearing the intro to "Courage". It's basically carying that high end bite from a Plexi also. It's a sound I don't usually play since I tend to favor saturation naturally....but heck the clarity is gorgeous. Dry and crispy. I see why that works so well in mixed contexts. I'm also in the ballpark a bit for some Queens of Stone Age.

When I bought my unit, it came with FW 12ish. FW 27 is by far the best update I've ever loaded. It's astonishing!

I play 5153 50W Blue with boost and run the MV around 4 on most scenes. I didn't expect much, but dam was I surprised
Scott Ian wasn't kidding when he said E chords sound like a rev of a Harley engine. I boost Blue also. For a neat surprise, try no boost with an input mid boost around 950hz with a medium Q at like 3.5 db....it's like digging massive chunks of granite out of the earth and hurling them towards the sun.👌😎

Back
Top Bottom