Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.01 Release

What are you two getting on about? The V4 schematic and board changes are documented here: https://manticorefx.wordpress.com/2017/10/26/timmy-versions/
The "V4" classification for the schematic isn't really advertised "officially" (tbh, I don't think anybody except for manticorefx refers to them as such in the literature; even the sole Reverb listing that does so has the model name listed as Timmy V2 in the product specs list on the page). Whereas, there is an official "V3" that is almost a different pedal (owing to the different behaviour of the toggle switch) and says V3 on the chassis itself. Anyway, this is just pedantic at this point, but I felt that it might be confusing because the switch positions on the actual V3 and the pedal being modelled in the Axe do different things entirely, and so it might be useful to have an indication of the year alongside V4 (which is 2012–2019 circuits) in the release notes.

For me, if it sounds good, it is good. I really don’t care what version it is…

These are the kind of things I used to get hung up on before I went with Axe FX, but now with all the parameters I can tweak I don’t even think about it.

My $0.02….

Dom
That I understand and one thing also is before AxeFX I was always gassing for another amp. Now I’m so wrapped up in the tubes I have and the Axe another amp hasn’t crossed my mind. I almost miss the gas. Almost.

For me, if it sounds good, it is good. I really don’t care what version it is…

These are the kind of things I used to get hung up on before I went with Axe FX, but now with all the parameters I can tweak I don’t even think about it.

My $0.02….

Dom
This. Exactly. For year I used to twist myself in knots over NOS tubes, component specs, and chasing every last bit of esoterica I could find in the never ending search for "The Tone". Now I have all of it in one 3 rack space box instead of refrigerator sized racks full of shit. If I can't dial up something I find pleasing, it ain't the box or the spec versions of this gear or that - it's me.

This. Exactly. For year I used to twist myself in knots over NOS tubes, component specs, and chasing every last bit of esoterica I could find in the never ending search for "The Tone". Now I have all of it in one 3 rack space box instead of refrigerator sized racks full of shit. If I can't dial up something I find pleasing, it ain't the box or the spec versions of this gear or that - it's me.
👆👆👆 I couldn’t agree more. My GAS has been over since 2009 (for amps, and pedals anyway), now it’s reserved for guitars only.

Early in the morning, I read the drive block section of the Fractal Wiki page and finally came across the development history of the drive block algorithm.

I was very moved by following the numerous update processes from Spice to the birth of Faspice to the present, as well as Cliff's comments and information related to them. Finding out how axeIII's drive algorithm was finally properly ported to FM3 felt like watching some kind of great drama.🥹

It's really fun to use and to me it's the best in the world. Thank you:fire::fire:

I used to spend more time on the map and effects pedal forums than any other. I’ve bought and sold probably over twenty nice amps and no telling how many pedals of the month.
My first Fractal is my AxeIII M2 and I haven’t been in an amp or pedal forum nor gassed for one in years now. My AxeIII is so good that I don’t even own an amp and the only pedals I own are a Mission and two Fractal EV2 expression pedals.

timmy timmysouthpark GIF by Comedy Central LA
Shocked San Antonio Spurs GIF by NBA

Super excited to try the improved drive blocks. Just recently had some trouble with the previous TS808 model as there seemed to be more gain with the drive at 0 no matter what I did compared to my real one. Not sure if my pedalboard is messing it up with impedance changes and/or tone suck caused by other vintage non-true bypass pedals in that signal chain though.

I was really, really happy where I got the PI Fuzz block the last time. If it will be even better now, it’ll be the best fuzz pedal I ”own”.

I’ve been too busy to play since 26.01 dropped. I had some free time today and I was blown away. I was playing using my 1993 Ibanez RG500 that I bought while in Tokyo in 2020. I installed new frets as it was played to hell, as purchased in one of the local Hard-Off locations. I also replaced a broken 5 position selector and installed a DiMarzio Crunch Lab DP228, both in the last couple of months. So I’ve been playing this same guitar through my AF3 Mk2 for the last month, with this same setup, yet now it is stellar! I regularly stick to a few presets, and not all of those have a Drive block on the grid, and not via the Preamp tab in the Amp block either. (Not 100% positive if the recent 26.01 Drive adjustments will carry over to the Preamp Drive selection choices, but expect that it will!)

I know of nothing that changed in my workflow, and I am the sole user of my guitars and AF3s. I’m just hoping I don’t wake up shortly, only to have been dreaming about playing, rather than actually touching the hardware. All of my Fractal devices over the years have been awesome; this newest firmware is just that friggin good sounding/feeling! I primarily play hard rock / 80’s metal, so you can include that in the mix. I am so damned happy that I took the leap back when the Ultra was the newest beast! What a great enjoyable ride.
Cheers
Lee

I know it is not a wish section, but as Cliff is in the drive section… it can be cool if we can have the Russian green muff and the long awaited boss hm2 one day.
Also thank you for the rest, I am happy with this product I play it daily and it cover my needs already
I’d be very happy if we had the USA and Russian Muff variants besides the current one. Even if they are based on the re-issue pedals. Would be much easier to tweak the other versions from those base models.

I’d be very happy if we had the USA and Russian Muff variants besides the current one. Even if they are based on the re-issue pedals. Would be much easier to tweak the other versions from those base models.
The pi fuzz is already based on the USA model (normally), only the Russian one is missing (if we skip the op amp, ram’s head etc …)

Back
Top Bottom