Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
1719527953844.png
After listening to the samples 2-3 times each, I found out that this 2ms difference changes the 'overall sound' of the sample.

I passed the test, but I'm pretty sure that I did not perceive the latency. What I perceived was the difference of the two sounds I hear.

Therefore, my opinion is that this test is not applicable for this context.

Our brains work at near lightspeed, which is a million feet /s - so in 5ms our thoughts have travelled a mile through neural pathways.

So there's that to think about ... which is nice.

Our brains work at near lightspeed, which is a million feet /s - so in 5ms our thoughts have travelled a mile through neural pathways.

So there's that to think about ... which is nice.

Brain/neuron impulses do not travel remotely close to the speed of light, our brain and nervous system is not made of fibre optics. It's made of cells.

Nerve impulses are extremely slow compared to the speed of electricity, where the electric field can propagate with a speed on the order of 50–99% of the speed of light; however, it is very fast compared to the speed of blood flow, with some myelinated neurons conducting at speeds up to 120 m/s (432 km/h or 275 mph).

Brain/neuron impulses do not travel remotely close to the speed of light, our brain and nervous system is not made of fibre optics. It's made of cells.

Nerve impulses are extremely slow compared to the speed of electricity, where the electric field can propagate with a speed on the order of 50–99% of the speed of light; however, it is very fast compared to the speed of blood flow, with some myelinated neurons conducting at speeds up to 120 m/s (432 km/h or 275 mph).
damn!, foiled by google again

This is a great means of quickly and clearly hearing how various millisecond delays manifest

For the record, 5ms is about as much time as it takes to blink.

This is not really the same kind of comparison as detecting differences in playing latency. The human ear can very easily distinguish between say 10 kHz and 15 Khz and those wave periods are more than an order of magnitude shorter than 1 ms. Simultaneous sounds also can create additive and subtractive artifacts and harmonics that you can also pick out. Monitoring latency is different. Unless you are monitoring very quietly and can hear your physical pick attack against your monitored audio, it's not really a sound on sound kind of comparison.

Still a very cool site with some great tests though.

Last edited:
Google - smashing ass-pulled stats since 1998.
lol!, google's what yeilded my initial comment (hence "foiled") - Was intended / meant in jest, but I guess the latency debate here has become far too serious to allow for any sarcasm / satire 🤣 - so ok, serious opinion: imo, threshold of latency detection, either via feel or hearing, varies within humans, so there is no standard. What matters is the cumulative total latency in a guitar rig, and whether that total exceeds the threshold of the rig's player to negatively feel, hear, or perceive it. Fractal gear, due to its very low specific device latency, facilitates keeping cumulative end-to-end rig latency as low as possible👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom