Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff will do his magic and make this final F26 incredible one of a kind. I believe in him, just have to wait enough… Thanks to all forum members providing info and FAS team for making it always continuous progress forward.

Context is important here. 5ms is about how long it takes to double-click your mouse three times as fast as you can, and I would venture to guess just about everyone here could feel that difference in playing latency.

...I don't know about you guys, and to my earlier point about Vai and others being very full of shit when it comes to latency, is that I'm not getting anywhere close to 5ms lag over here. And I'm running wireless, so there's a whole extra layer between myself and the III.

Same guitar --> same cable --> into either the front of an amp or the III, blind tests for latency results will look like a coin toss, and I'll die on that hill.
Chorus pedals add like 20ms. So basically everyone who hits their chorus is in hell.

This is a great means of quickly and clearly hearing how various millisecond delays manifest

For the record, 5ms is about as much time as it takes to blink.

I didn't notice an issue until I used the Pitch block last night. Seems like the Virtual Capo sounds like a warbly chorus, even on smooth and only 1 half step down. Anyone else?
Ah so that could be what is going on there. I was getting something that sounded like chorusing and couldn't find it in any of the blocks. I am drop-tuned with the virtual capo when that is happening.

I have always been very sensitive to latency, and I've never perceived any in the Axe-FX III outside the pitch block. Even in the pitch block, I have to set it to smooth with tracking at max to have that effect.

About the artifacts in the pitch block, if I set it to fast with tracking at zero, for single notes and power chords there are no artifacts and no perceptible latency. I set my harmonies very specifically for the range I'll be using for that section, and I set the harmony output, low cut, high cut carefully, paying a ton of attention to the pick attack, until it sounds completely natural, and it really works wonderfully.

This is a great means of quickly and clearly hearing how various millisecond delays manifest

For the record, 5ms is about as much time as it takes to blink.
I was surprised I could tell the difference that I thought I heard in the individual samples. This is 11 blind tries in a row.

IMG_2566.jpeg

Dom

[edit] BTW- I do not perceive any latency in my Axe FX3, but I’ll be paying better attention next time I play. I guess I’d have to turn off my reverb as I’m sure that would bury the perception of said latency. I’m still surprised by my blind test results, I really didn’t think I could hear 5ms.

Context is important here. 5ms is about how long it takes to double-click your mouse three times as fast as you can,
Three double clicks would be 6 clicks in 5ms, so you’re saying you can do over 1000 clicks in a second? Good for you, Mr. Flash, but don’t forget that most people don’t have super speed.

About the artifacts in the pitch block, if I set it to fast with tracking at zero, for single notes and power chords there are no artifacts and no perceptible latency. I set my harmonies very specifically for the range I'll be using for that section, and I set the harmony output, low cut, high cut carefully, paying a ton of attention to the pick attack, until it sounds completely natural, and it really works wonderfully.
I will try that. I did not know it was coming from the pitch-block so I have not done anything to try to minimize it yet. I don't hear any latency in the AXE either (things get a little weird if it is dropped down -4 but I am going to solve that with a second guitar tuned down :yum:) .

I was surprised I could tell the difference that I thought I heard in the individual samples. This is 11 blind tries in a row.

View attachment 142204

Dom

[edit] BTW- I do not perceive any latency in my Axe FX3, but I’ll be paying better attention next time I play. I guess I’d have to turn off my reverb as I’m sure that would bury the perception of said latency. I’m still surprised by my blind test results, I really didn’t think I could hear 5ms.
I suspect whe presented with a zero to compare to, especially repeatedly, 5ms is definitely detectable for most. However, the point is to show at what point an increase has a notable impact on the outcome.

Context is important here. 5ms is about how long it takes to double-click your mouse three times as fast as you can, and I would venture to guess just about everyone here could feel that difference in playing latency.
5ms is nowhere near that long.

I've just checked, and @Rotti, I can't get 3 double clicks in 500ms. I think you're a couple of orders of magnitude out with this. Fastest I can double click seems to be about 130ms, so the genuine context is that in the space in the gap of a double click, 26 x 5ms latency periods will occur. I can just about detect it if I'm looking for it, but I definitely don't notice it when playing.

Or to use @RDH's analogy, a double click of a mouse is the equivalent to standing almost 150 feet away from a speaker. That amount of latency becomes extremely noticeable!

Last edited:
I will try that. I did not know it was coming from the pitch-block so I have not done anything to try to minimize it yet. I don't hear any latency in the AXE either (things get a little weird if it is dropped down -4 but I am going to solve that with a second guitar tuned down :yum:) .

If it helps at all, what I find to get a natural sound is that, as I lower the pitch on the virtual capo, e.g., I have to raise the output level a bit for the pick attack to sound right. And the low and high cut parameters are completely crucial to getting it to sound natural. I've created harmonies as low as an octave below that sound natural when I'm physically playing a single note at a time. When I've gotten to an octave below I really had to boost the output.

For a major third drop on the virtual capo, -4, my recommendation is to play an open power chord centers at the lowest on your guitar with palm muting with the pitch block bypassed, then turn on the virtual capo at -4 and play the same thing at the fourth fret on those same strings. Now go back and forth, adjusting the VC level, high, and low cuts until the power chords sound exactly the same between the fourth fret with VC on and the open chord with VC off. When I did that I actually messed with the detune to get it to sound completely indistinguishable. Long story short, things only get weird at -4 if you don't put in the cuts and raise the level!

If you want, send me DI tracks of you palm muting at the open and fourth frets as well as a preset you like, and I'll create a pitch block for you that sounds natural next time I can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom