Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TGM I have corrected the gate in 600 scenes(…) with this update. you need to disabled it or change the settings in the clean channel too, depends how you like it. Now the gate is more « active ». Still not transparent when really set to kill the noise and still have some noise running if you use a lot of gain and boost, but better 👍🏻

Last edited:
@TGM I have corrected the gate in 600 scenes(…) with this update. you need to disabled it or change the settings in the clean channel too, depends how you like it. Now the gate is more « active ». Still not transparent when really set to kill the noise and still have some noise running if you use a lot of gain and boost, but better 👍🏻
you may be sitting too close to your computer monitor. I use your presets and they are dead silent with high gain :)

Have you noticed a loss in touch sensitivity with your clean presets? I know a lot has changed on the amps, and I probably need to increase the input gains/overdrives. However, it really feels like the loss of touch sensitivity when you increase the amount of a noise gate. Is there a way to decease this amount to how it was before the firmware?
Change your strings! Just kidding. I had to make adjustments to gain and out put levels on some presets. When I did I got more touch sensitivity than previous firmware.

you may be sitting too close to your computer monitor. I use your presets and they are dead silent with high gain :)
Now that’s interesting : Do they were already total silent before the 25.00 or do you base yourself on the new version with gate and amp block change, that I have sent to everyone yesterday?

I finally got to investigate the SM57 sounding the same the SM7 firmware DynaCabs, and, at least on the couple of cabinets I played through tonight, I can confirm that is the case. The SM7 is normally very different from the SM57; it's not subtle at all. I ddin't have much time to play tonight and try this on a bunch more cabs, but one cabinet for sure where I heard the problem was the Recto Slant. Thanks for looking into this!

I finally got to investigate the SM57 sounding the same the SM7 firmware DynaCabs, and, at least on the couple of cabinets I played through tonight, I can confirm that is the case. The SM7 is normally very different from the SM57; it's not subtle at all. I ddin't have much time to play tonight and try this on a bunch more cabs, but one cabinet for sure where I heard the problem was the Recto Slant. Thanks for looking into this!
Was this using the front panel, axe edit or both ?

I'm just wondering: why would you need to increase noise gate in a clean preset? Especially if the noise gate has been improved? My guitars are so quiet on clean presets that I can disable the noise gate completely... only on overdriven presets I need to use some noise gate.
Agreed, wondering the same.

Suspect issues related to not understanding unity gain, and crushing the result with a noise gate.

The SM7 is normally VERY SIMILAR to the SM57. It IS subtle.

I have verified that the hardware and Axe-Edit are functioning properly. I took the raw IR files that were used to generate the Dyna-Cab data and compared those IRs to the Dyna-Cabs and the results were identical.

Everything is working properly.

Axe-Edit. Good call; It hadn't even occurred to me that maybe Axe-Edit simply is not selecting the SM7B. I don't know when I can play again, but I'll try the front panel next time. I'm using the latest versions of both the firmware and Axe-Edit.

I have verified that the hardware and Axe-Edit are functioning properly. I took the raw IR files that were used to generate the Dyna-Cab data and compared those IRs to the Dyna-Cabs and the results were identical.

Yeah, I just checked the Recto Slant using Axe Edit and it seems to be working. There is an audible difference when toggling between Dynamic 1 and 2.

Thanks for looking into it! I've always heard way stronger low mids in the SM7 and less pronounced treble, that it's been really a strong difference. The SM7 in the unit is also very finicky with my particular guitar, in that it can easily emphasize harsh low mids unless I'm very careful with placement (but careful placement pays off on spades).

To me the SM7 is much more balanced of a mic. Maybe it was just the tone I was using with that particular cab. I'll take a listen with other cabs of course next time I can play. For the past few months I've almost exclusively used the DynaCabs in the hardware, but I rarely touch the Rectifier 4x12s, so it could be my lack of familiarity with the Recto Slant. Now you have me doubly curious to go back to some of the cabs I know very well, like the Orange.

Whereas I like to balance the SM57 with the 1973 for misaligned tones, the SM7 to me stands alone very well. I've just never heard them sound anywhere close to where I mistake one for the other before, so it definitely had me wondering. Anyway, as you wrote recently about amp models, perception does not equal accuracy. Much appreciated as always. The fact that you'd even check means a great deal.

I've just never heard them sound anywhere close to where I mistake one for the other before
If you are still unsure on your unit, you can prove it to yourself that they are different or the same.

Send pink noise or a freq sweep (synth) through them both at the same time (no amp) and do a relative tone match between them (make sure mic pos and all other settings are identical).

1st screenshot is the stereo image of pink noise to hard panned Dynamic1s, vs, hard panned Dynamic1/2 in 2nd screenshot. My ears, eyes and brain confirm that 1 and 2 are different, but somewhat similar (maybe more or less so depending on the cab used with).

1713196511214.png
1713196460537.png

Last edited:
1st screenshot is the stereo image of pink noise to hard panned Dynamic1s, vs, hard panned Dynamic1/2 in 2nd screenshot. My ears, eyes and brain confirm that 1 and 2 are different, but somewhat similar (maybe more or less so depending on the cab used with).
Cool but not sure I understand what I'm seeing. Seems like a EQ diff curve would show the relative EQ differences.

Cool but not sure I understand what I'm seeing. Seems like a EQ diff curve would show the relative EQ differences.
The blobish looking thingy in the 2nd screenshot vs the virtical line in the first screenshot shows there is a difference between the 2 - eq would show it as well as you mention, but I tend to have this simple meter running all the time to confirm, when needed, that 2 very similar sounds are different (with my bad ears, I often need a visual for that).

Last edited:
Okay, I forced some time to pick up the guitar this morning. Sorry @FractalAudio for not looking into it further before posting, but thanks again for checking it out. I think it may be Cygnus X-3. I realized that I hadn't even used the SM7 since the modeling update, and I am finding that the SM7 is accentuating different frequencies from the amps; well of course it's not the mic frequency response that's different, it's the amps!

There are some positions that sounds astounding similar, but all you have to do is move the mic position somewhat and you'll hear the difference. Something about the new modelling improvements seem to agree more with the SM7 to my ears and not to make it as finicky with my guitar.

And of course, I didn't think simply to open the align tab of the cab block to view the IRs and compare visually at the same spot. Just switching between them on the front panel while viewing them in Axe-Edit made the differences plain.

This also brings home a good point about amp updates. Not only will amps sound and react differently, mics' and speakers' relationship to the amps will be different, so if there were amps, cabs, and/or speakers you avoided before, or only used in specific ways, reassess your assumptions, because you may find greater utility in what you previously ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom