Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just compared my 100W Plexi to the model w/ a sine wave generator and the actual amp has slightly more prominent ghost notes. Probably because the filter caps are old. As capacitors age their capacitance decreases and, hence, the B+ time constant decreases thereby increasing supply ripple. Time for a cap job.

Are you at the point now where you could extrapolate accurately the results of replacing the caps or does the whole amp need "remastering" to nail it?

I'm almost afraid to ask this, for fear of public shaming, but what is the purpose of reseting Output EQ by Hard Reset?

I can understand the other params being reset, but output EQ should remain untouched, no? As everyone knows, this fucks with many of the Mesa presets.

Would it be possible to avoid resetting Output EQ just for the Mesa amps with 5-band EQ?

I'm almost afraid to ask this, for fear of public shaming, but what is the purpose of reseting Output EQ by Hard Reset?

I can understand the other params being reset, but output EQ should remain untouched, no? As everyone knows, this fucks with many of the Mesa presets.

Would it be possible to avoid resetting Output EQ just for the Mesa amps with 5-band EQ?
I see your point, but if it resets everything else, the graphic settings might not make any sense any more.

Reactions: BTU
what is the purpose of reseting Output EQ by Hard Reset?
  • because it is not a soft reset?
  • to prevent the user forgetting they are still active, potentially wasting their time tweaking...
  • because a majority may prefer this ^
OTOH, I would ideally like to see a handful of no-brainer Preferences options for this in the software editor. On the device I would agree it should not be as elaborate (unless in a submenu and if memory is plenty).

With the right options maybe you can even dump soft and hard reset and just call it reset. It might be less confusing, but everything has pros and cons...

Last edited:
A hard reset does exactly that: resets all of the parameters back to defaults. There should never be any exceptions to a hard reset. That's the whole point.

Even with the soft reset, keeping EQ settings behind won't always make sense. If you change between two drastically different amp models, odds are most of the settings are going to need changing anyway. The soft reset procedure happens every time you change models, not just when you are cycling back to the same model.

Imagine if you are building a new preset from scratch and scrolling through a bunch of amp models to find one that fits. Does it really make sense to keep a bunch of settings behind when going from a Fender to a Vox to a Marshal to a Boogie, etc. Even for amps of the same style, would you really keep the same settings between say a Recto and a Diezel?

Yeah that function is another story. That one is intended to stay on the same model, so exceptions would make a lot more sense there.

I wouldn’t mind if the GEQ settings were left untouched when executing the Reset AMP functie in the editor’s Manage Presets tool (which is different from a soft or hard reset).

I thought "reset amp" within Manage Presets was the same as soft reset? This really is confusing.

It's similar but not exactly the same. Some stuff gets left alone, but I don't think it depends on your Tone Control Display setting like a soft reset does.

I wouldn’t mind if the GEQ settings were left untouched when executing the Reset AMP functie in the editor’s Manage Presets tool (which is different from a soft or hard reset).
I agree. It's really the only reason I choose Ideal over Authentic in the Global Tone Control Display as it leaves the main tone controls alone. When I flip around amps it's easier not having to boost cut each time. It's the advanced pages that are more cryptic.

Last edited:
I think Yek has already done a good explanation of them here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ow-about-resetting-an-amp.173317/post-2097353

It's also in the Wiki here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#Reset_the_amp

The whole hard/soft reset thing applies to all of the blocks though, not just the amp block. For example when scrolling through delay models, it keeps certain key parameters like Delay Time, Mix, and Level (I can't remember them all of the top of my head).

I would add to that or to the soft reset all parameters that are not strictly related to the modeling but are there just for user preference, thus rarely or never updated by a firmware, like:
  • cut, fat and bright switches
  • mismatch
  • AC line frequency
  • variac
  • input boost
  • input and MV trims
  • bias tremolo frequency and depth
  • all parameters related to the speaker non-linearities and the impedance curve
  • all input EQ's parameters (except low-cut)
  • input dynamics
  • all output compressor's parameters
  • balance, input mode and bypass mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom