Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Global input gain applies level adjustment at the Input block.

Input Trim applies level adjustment at the input of the Amp block.

If you have nothing between Input and Amp block there should be no difference - both are pure clean level controls. If there are other effects between then there may be differences depending on how they are affected by input level.

You could also use the Level control of the Input block...
Ahhh, just logical, thank you!

I was sitting on the sideline, waiting to see if anyone found anything catastrophic. After 20 pages of interesting and overwhelmingly positive adjectives, I'm taking the plunge!

Thanks Cliff, team, and the army of user beta testers here!
We've been your guinea pigs :D
Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I don’t understand levelling presets for every guitar you use to get the same gain etc? What’s the point in using different guitars?
When Im at a gig and I break a string I don't like finishing off a song with a different amount of gain do I rely on global input trim. I have some guitars with 6k pickups and others with 18k. There is a huge difference in gain. Otherwise yes different guitars add a new dimension.

Last edited:
fw 25b going direct with Cameron CCV 2C and trying new pickups.

One word comes to mind with this beta - chewy !

Dang man...chewy tight chunk. I use the CCV 2D with the "Cali V30" stock i.r. and it nails "garage inc." almost too a T. I've played along to the "mercyful fate" medley and remember actually preferring my tone to the damn CD lol What i.r are you using? Sounds monstrous!

Only real difference I thought I heard was less gain. On the HBE I had to turn up to 7 or so where I liked 5 before. Can’t speak to the EQ as I am changing my monitor setup.

Guitarists spouting bullshit? Impossible!

Hearing a guitarist who knows absolutely zero about amplifier design or coding saying things like "chaos element" makes me cringe for them.

With several legitimate reasons to prefer a tube amp, I'm always baffled why some guitar players will pull this absolute nonsense out of their ass.
It’s ironic comedy. Tube amps are what’s being modeled.

Speaking of the beta…
I reloaded my Axe FX III with the factory preset A, B, and C banks, and batch soft-reset all of the amps with Axe Edit. I’ve been randomly selecting presets. Everything sounds terrific.

Dang man...chewy tight chunk. I use the CCV 2D with the "Cali V30" stock i.r. and it nails "garage inc." almost too a T. I've played along to the "mercyful fate" medley and remember actually preferring my tone to the damn CD lol What i.r are you using? Sounds monstrous!
Please, show your amp settings. Which IR do you use?
This IR is my no.1 for everything - German Boutique 4x12 in legacy folder, can´t recall what number it is.
It sounds like my beloved 2002 Mesa oversize in the room, even though I have read it´s bogner cab with V30´s.
Crazy, I know, but it sounds scary close to my cab. :p

Amp settings that are changed from default values are only these :

Input gain at 3 (very important to get the feel right), treble 6, presence 7, input trim 0,8.
impedance curve set to Fractal LB-2 UK
input dynamics 3

it´s that easy to get that tone :)

Last edited:
Updated my demo preset and got some clips of my les paul custom since apparently, I dont really have any. Bad day for a sore wrist but hey!

Didnt update this preset yet, and it's not made for this guitar... but who cares ;)

I dig this - meaty tone !
is that your beloved rockerverb ?

I know there are extensive instructions for hard/soft resets on presets after a firmware update, but are there any easy ways to reset amp settings when saved in the user library? I've been working my way way through the various amp models and saving interesting starting points in the library, with the thought being that I'd start focusing on setting up presets after getting a feel for the type of amps I gravitate toward. My assumption is that settings saved via the library don't allow for easy resetting as with presets, and that I'll just need to screenshot/use Fractool to manually copy over settings of interest (luckily I've mostly just been tweaking bass/mid/treb/pres/depth) but I wanted to check first before undertaking a big project if there's a way to save myself some manual labor.

As a relatively new/inexperienced user, I just want to say how much I appreciate the work the Fractal team puts in to these firmware updates. Although the Axe-FX is my most expensive piece of music equipment, I've never once regretted the purchase, and that would have been true just with the solid block of sounds that were available the moment I received it. The work that goes into upgrading the capabilities of this device on a regular basis is pretty astonishing, and the regular expansion of the array of sounds available only further cements the value of the Axe-FX. Much appreciated, Fractal team!

I don’t understand levelling presets for every guitar you use to get the same gain etc? What’s the point in using different guitars?
A bright tone with modern darker humbuckers would be ear piercing with a Strat. Adjusting for pickup outputs and rough EQ differences means I can use the same preset with similar gain staging and get useable tones with each guitar and still have the different sound of each pickup come through. In the analog days I used to do this roughly using the output level and brightness controls on my compressor, but Fractal’s controllers are much more powerful.

A bright tone with modern darker humbuckers would be ear piercing with a Strat. Adjusting for pickup outputs and rough EQ differences means I can use the same preset with similar gain staging and get useable tones with each guitar and still have the different sound of each pickup come through. In the analog days I used to do this roughly using the output level and brightness controls on my compressor, but Fractal’s controllers are much more powerful.
That said Im gonna run a strat through that same tb doom scene before i do the soft reset lol

Sound is absolutely different depending on the day. Humidity affects how frequencies travel through air. Joe Barresi said on Pensado's Place that if you're in the studio and everything sounds like shit that day, maybe don't record your vocals.

We had an SUV when I lived in the high desert, and the stereo system sounded harsh no matter what I did. When we moved cross country to a very humid state, one of the first things I noticed as we entered the area was that the car stereo all of a sudden sounded great. It made me want to go make albums in the desert; I thought, "if it sounds good there, it'll sound even better everywhere else."

All sound is is the disruption of air. When air changes, sound does too!
...or maybe you felt better in the humid state.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom