Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like, if Fractal had released an AxeFX IV with updated algorithms and values like this and guaranteed compatibility with previous presets, many of us would be clamoring to buy it. But when they release this kind of update for free, people get frustrated? They're communicating to their users "look, we're pushing the technology and if you want things to stay the way they are, go ahead!" No one is forced to update.

Maybe it says something about people's perceived changes that Fractal doesn't feel that they need to update their own provided presets, which are largely agreed to be well made, sophisticated, and hit most every piece of gear modeled in the box? I dunno, I'm no expert.

So - I'm going to try and condense the update to the best that my fragile little mind can comprehend.

• Installing this update. the way things sounded before the update will change (where amps are involved)
  • If you have presets in the 'stuff I use professionally' kind of world, then you need to do one of these rest thingy's and then re-tune to get the tone as it was previously
  • If you are more of a tone tourist (i.e., me) then you don't need to do anything but will still enjoy the benefits of the updated amp engine

Am I even close?

So - I'm going to try and condense the update to the best that my fragile little mind can comprehend.

• Installing this update. the way things sounded before the update will change (where amps are involved)
  • If you have presets in the 'stuff I use professionally' kind of world, then you need to do one of these rest thingy's and then re-tune to get the tone as it was previously
  • If you are more of a tone tourist (i.e., me) then you don't need to do anything but will still enjoy the benefits of the updated amp engine

Am I even close?
No, kind of the opposite.

Am I even close?
In my opinion, you are close.

You don’t NEED to do anything. I’m trying to be very clear with the statement: if you WANT to have the new default amp settings, THEN you need to hard reset.

If you update and it sounds great, you are done.

Am I even close?

The whole purpose of the firmware update is to make your presets sound different, specifically to be a more accurate model of a tube amp. If that accuracy improvement is the reason you are updating the firmware, there are two steps to achieve that accuracy improvement: 1) Install the firmware 2) Reset the amp block in your presets.

However, the reset does more than just adjust the relevant parameters that improve the modeling. It also removes some adjustments you may have previously made to your preset. So if you want to get back to where you were (plus the firmware enhancements), you might have to re-apply any adjustments you previously made to your amp block relative to the default values. You can either do that by ear, or you can be rigorous and do A/B comparison of parameters.

You'll also need to be a little careful when creating presets in the future because a reset is not automatically performed in all cases when adding an amp block to the grid. For example, it's good practice to always reset an amp block after you add it to the grid.

However, that all presupposes your goal here is accurate tube amp emulation. If instead you just want something that sounds good, you can safely skip the reset.

Honestly, I don't feel like completely adjusting all my presets for the umpteenth time. I don't want to completely adapt all my presets for the umpteenth time just to make them sound maybe 1-2% more authentic. If at all. At some point, it has to be good and you should simply keep a functioning system and familiar sound behavior in the ear. I think we are now operating in a very subjective area. And tastes are notoriously different. It's somehow an inner compulsion to simply have to carry out a major update because everyone seems to be doing it or you just don't want to miss anything. I think at some point you get into the area of "making things worse". Personally, I'm happy with version 24.04 and simply appreciate continuity in my presets. But that's just my personal opinion.

And what do you do if you find a bug in FW24.04 which has already been fixed in FW25,xx or more amp models are available in FW26.xx? Just update!

Honestly, I don't feel like completely adjusting all my presets for the umpteenth time. I don't want to completely adapt all my presets for the umpteenth time just to make them sound maybe 1-2% more authentic. If at all. At some point, it has to be good and you should simply keep a functioning system and familiar sound behavior in the ear. I think we are now operating in a very subjective area. And tastes are notoriously different. It's somehow an inner compulsion to simply have to carry out a major update because everyone seems to be doing it or you just don't want to miss anything. I think at some point you get into the area of "making things worse". Personally, I'm happy with version 24.04 and simply appreciate continuity in my presets. But that's just my personal opinion.
I only truly care about three custom presets each having eight scenes. I’m a studio rat, and don’t need a huge variety of tweaked presets for covers or whatever. And, I’m fine if they change with amp block resets — look forward to more realistic vibe (and I love them already). I’d be more concerned if the effects in those presets/scenes changed radically.

But I can see how having a lot of customized amp settings in lots of different presets could get tedious, especially if you have them dialed in just right.

And what do you do if you find a bug in FW24.04 which has already been fixed in FW25,xx or more amp models are available in FW26.xx? Just update!
There are no more major bugs in 24.04. Of course, if there were, I might change my mind. So far everything is running smoothly. And I don't need many more new amp models. Over 300 are enough for me!

Cool. You know what they say…”No one’s forced to update.” Enjoy.

Dang.. I'm totally not getting it...

So,
  • Installing the new firmware actually changes nothing
  • pre-existing presets/scenes/tones will be identical to what they were before
  • to get the benefits of the new amp engine, you need to 'reset' every amp in every preset

?

Even more confused now. Its a journey I suppose :D
If you haven’t read the wiki then stop reading this thread and go here immediately:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#Reset_the_amp

It's a beta thread, not a bitching thread. It would have said this, if it was:

Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Bitching (Cygnus X-3)​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom