Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta #2 (Cygnus X-3 Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What certain individuals like or prefer is irrelevant. The modeling algorithms are driven by authenticity above all else.

Part of the challenge is developing measurement techniques and analytic signals. Over the years we've developed new and improved ways to measure the behavior of tube amps. Recently I discovered a couple new measurement techniques that exposed inaccuracies in the modeling engine.

Cygnus X-3 represents improved algorithms and datasets that improve the accuracy of the amp models based on these measurements.

The great thing is if you don't like it you can roll back to an earlier firmware.

Personally I find this firmware very inspiring. I just sat and played for three hours last night because I was so inspired by the tone and feel. I haven't done that in many years.
My experience as well, Thank You!

I just sat and played for three hours. [...] I haven't done that in many years.
"Not important," but IMO a cool interview question...

If I have read correctly you have admitted that before Cygnus you would sometimes cheat to make models sound better than the real thing. I thought this was also your personal preference? [idealized models]

When you went to Cygnus -- now all about realism because that's what most are asking? -- do you now like it better and/or did you reprogram yourself to like it [Cygnus] better [than Ares] now?

Haven't you played for hours in so long mostly because of physical issues (I think I've read about) or because you really prefer/preferred Ares?

Sorry, that got a bit longwinded... You could simply reply, "Yes." or "I don't do interviews." :sweatsmile:

Epiphany: I'm gonna guess you like Cygnus better now, otherwise you might have played for hours on Ares till now.

[to the entirely misunderstanding haters, see https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nus-x-3-release-candidate.203306/post-2544846]

Last edited:
Personally I find this firmware very inspiring. I just sat and played for three hours last night because I was so inspired by the tone and feel. I haven't done that in many years.
Like so many others, this is always my experience. I can easily burn a couple hours playing and practicing, the tone and feel is addictive. Allow me to add - I have zero issues tweaking my gigging presets; they always get better with updates. It's a joy to discover all the new goodness, not a chore. I've confidently gigged beta f/w at important shows. I can't imagine playing a show with anything else, using an amp makes zero sense today. Best ROI on gear ever. Thank you!!

"Not important," but IMO a cool interview question...

If I have read correctly you have admitted that before Cygnus you would sometimes cheat to make models sound better than the real thing. I thought this was also your personal preference?

When you went to Cygnus -- now all about realism because that's what most are asking? -- do you now like it better and/or did you reprogram yourself to like it better now?

Haven't you played for hours in so long mostly because of physical issues (I think I've read about) or because you really prefer/preferred Ares?

Sorry, that got a bit longwinded... You could simply reply, "Yes." or "I don't do interviews." :sweatsmile:

Epiphany: I'm gonna guess you like Cygnus better now, otherwise you might have played for hours on Ares till now.
Would like to see what you read to make these presumptions. To be blunt, it sounds like you're talking out of another orifice.

@FractalAudio Out of curiosity, how do you compare a real amp with the digital model in your lab?

For example, I run my JCM800 or Plexi into the Fractal X-Load (or parallel a DI box with a real cab) into my DAW, and choose the same models in the AFX3 (taking tolerances and othe variables into consideration, etc.) which suppose to be apples to digital apples comparison.

Would like to see what you read to make these presumptions. To be blunt, it sounds like you're talking out of another orifice.
I never have that intention, but I do spot it in other big names here sometimes... (and you are here ^)
I used to follow Cliff's every word in about 6 to 8 forums before I took a big pause -- I retain some things he has shared ;) (but ideally have more catching up to do) (FAS forum [all versions], Rig Talk, TGP, Huge Racks, TGF, Harmony Central, and some amp builders forum, IIRC)

Also, despite what I have read, I was careful {"If I have read correctly"} -- you not so much. You could have just asked, if you had any class.

You didn't even ask what to prove, so I'll pick these as most relevant...

Cliff, TGF: "Before the Cygnus firmware I was more about 'make it sound good' rather than accuracy. Hence, non-authentic pot tapers, etc. So I moved the gain pot forward a stage because it sounded better to me that way. I left the treble peaker before the last stage and just moved the gain pot forward. More like a classic Marshall. But as our products became more and more popular the cries of 'it doesn't sound exactly like my amp' became more frequent. So Cygnus became all about authenticity. [...]"
https://thegearforum.com/threads/fractal-talk.2745/post-151874

Cliff, TGP: 'The push for 'realism' is driven by the customers, for better or worse."
www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-digital-getting-too-real.2275913/page-4#post-32977457

Shows you how much you know -- Maybe read a little more than you write...?
Read the source instead of reading things into what are virtually quotes...

Cliff has talked about the virtues of idealized amp models, has his own idealized FAS models, and made the quotes I'm showing here. All of that initially made it seem an interesting question if he still prefers these to Cygnus -- until I had my own epiphany. Completely benign question based on information from The Source...

The question is "not important" as Cliff may be including himself among "What certain individuals like or prefer is irrelevant." Therefore it is simply a fun "interview question"... No big deal whichever one he prefers -- question retracted.

Oh... Cliff has also forever stressed it's about exploring new sounds, not carbon copying -- at least before Cygnus, where he signals it is customer driven. Meaning, he may not agree. So I retract my retraction... It simply is a great interview question :D

By now a dozen of people with egos too huge to apologize for their piling on...

Last edited:
What certain individuals like or prefer is irrelevant. The modeling algorithms are driven by authenticity above all else.

Profound, and perfectly concise. We have, and will always have, the greatest modeller available because of this mantra.

There is only room for one at the top, thanks Cliff!!

I never have that intention, but I do spot it in other big names here sometimes... (and you are here ^)
I used to follow Cliff's every word in about 6 to 8 forums before I took a big pause -- I kinda know what he has shared ;) (but have more catching up to do) (FAS forum [all versions], Rig Talk, TGP, Huge Racks, TGF, Harmony Central, and some amp builders forum, IIRC)

Also, despite what I have read, I was careful {"If I have read correctly"} -- you not so much. You could have just asked, if you had any class.

Cliff, TGF: "Before the Cygnus firmware I was more about 'make it sound good' rather than accuracy. Hence, non-authentic pot tapers, etc. So I moved the gain pot forward a stage because it sounded better to me that way. I left the treble peaker before the last stage and just moved the gain pot forward. More like a classic Marshall. But as our products became more and more popular the cries of 'it doesn't sound exactly like my amp' became more frequent. So Cygnus became all about authenticity. [...]"

Cliff, TGP: 'The push for 'realism' is driven by the customers, for better or worse."
www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-digital-getting-too-real.2275913/page-4#post-32977457

Shows you how much you know -- Maybe read a little more than you write...?
IMG_2644.gif

Is it a fair bet to assume that the Drive block will get (some of) the same "magic treatment" as the Amps? I'm not sure if the Drives actually have any improvement potential but who knows........:). Anyway - I used FW 25 public beta 3 at rehearsal last night and loved it. Looking forward to implementation of the new "magic" FW on FM9 as well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom