Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta #2 (Cygnus X-3 Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. My Kill em' all patch with the JCM 800 mod I felt the exact opposite.
Ah?
Don’t know, most of them have that “blurry thing” now. The 1987 etc . I scratched my head to be satisfied with many of them. Don’t know . Just wanted to know if some others prefered the way they were before

maybe the ears need to get used to the new sound

Ah?
Don’t know most of them have that “blurry thing” now. The 1987 etc . I scratch my head to be satisfied with many of them. Don’t know . Just wanted to know if some others prefered as they were before
Input eq, post eq and impulse responses are your friend. It's par for the course with modeling updates, and Cliff & Co are very transparent/ cards on the table with this. 99% of the time with a little time and tweaks, you will find that it's well worth it. Give my preset a go, to my ears it's THE marshall tone (if your a thrash guy) but even if you aren't, just back down the preamp gain and focus on the power amp. The preset is a great "starting" point. Good luck dude.

Ah?
Don’t know, most of them have that “blurry thing” now. The 1987 etc . I scratched my head to be satisfied with many of them. Don’t know . Just wanted to know if some others prefered the way they were before

I think I can hear the "blurry thing" as well on the Mesa Mark amps, but turning down the Master Bias Excursion like Cliff suggested seems to lower that effect. Regardless I am super happy with the modeling of the Mesa Mark amps in this Beta, they sound exactly like my real amps now going through my Power Station and Cabs. When I am switching between the real amp and the models now I have to double check visually to know if it is a model or the real amp.

i think this may have been a couple updates back... but just getting into the new spring types... good lord. it's everything I've ever wanted. British, vibrato king, tube spring, deluxe spring, small spring... I can't imagine any spring aficianado being disappointed. really nailed it here... i'll shut up now.

I think I can hear the "blurry thing" as well on the Mesa Mark amps, but turning down the Master Bias Excursion like Cliff suggested seems to lower that effect. Regardless I am super happy with the modeling of the Mesa Mark amps in this Beta, they sound exactly like my real amps now going through my Power Station and Cabs. When I am switching between the real amp and the models now I have to double check visually to know if it is a model or the real amp.
Agreed completely - the Mesa Mark amps are phenomenal.

This Beta is out of this world, haven't played so much without wanting to tweak something to inspire me. Honestly, it's the best thing that's happened to my enjoyment process since I upgraded from a Peavey Bandit to a '71 Fender Champ in 1985.

So organic and inspiring to play on, I get lost in amps that I never agreed with and am loving this. Sorry to geek out, but I'm Gobsmacked!

Ah?

If I recall, the same kind of thing happened on the AX8 when it went from Quantum 9 to 10. Some like the previous version 9.
I just hope we haven't passed the point of where the tone is getting weird and we were all better off with a previous version of firmware.
At one point in time we all thought that the Axe Fx 2 was perfect and you couldn't tell the difference between real and modeled......

If I recall, the same kind of thing happened on the AX8 when it went from Quantum 9 to 10. Some like the previous version 9.
I just hope we haven't passed the point of where the tone is getting weird and we were all better off with a previous version of firmware.
At one point in time we all thought that the Axe Fx 2 was perfect and you couldn't tell the difference between real and modeled......

I stayed on Ares for months after Cygnus came out because I didn't like the new sound. I still miss that polished 15.00 sound sometimes

If I recall, the same kind of thing happened on the AX8 when it went from Quantum 9 to 10.
Yeah, I remember at least one (French) guy like that who often stressed a certain fw was THE one.

Although I'm not like that, I did have a similar experience once (maybe due to other contributing factors)... IIRC, the Shiva lead on fw 4 on the II at that time felt "very alive and organic" there. It really made my day, but I always thought that got lost again in a next firmware. It was "just a moment," I don't know the model well at all. These were still times where Cliff did a lot of major changes.

Last edited:
I just downloaded current 25 beta and all presets still sound great. I don’t get to play as much as I’d like, so I can’t comment on how much better it sounds, all I can say is it F-n rocks my ears.

What certain individuals like or prefer is irrelevant. The modeling algorithms are driven by authenticity above all else.

Part of the challenge is developing measurement techniques and analytic signals. Over the years we've developed new and improved ways to measure the behavior of tube amps. Recently I discovered a couple new measurement techniques that exposed inaccuracies in the modeling engine.

Cygnus X-3 represents improved algorithms and datasets that improve the accuracy of the amp models based on these measurements.

The great thing is if you don't like it you can roll back to an earlier firmware.

Personally I find this firmware very inspiring. I just sat and played for three hours last night because I was so inspired by the tone and feel. I haven't done that in many years.

Personally I find this firmware very inspiring. I just sat and played for three hours last night because I was so inspired by the tone and feel. I haven't done that in many years.
Great to finally hear your opinion. I understand and agree that you want to wait out other opinions first. I also seem to miss the opinions of many beta testers that only seem to comment in the beta forums (guessing). They are a factor in some people's enjoyment, for those who want to learn what people with better ears are thinking. etc. Maybe some more will now come through as well :) (don't be shy now)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom