Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.04 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I could dig up online, it looks like the SDD-3000 used proprietary 13 bit audio conversion, so the Bit Reduction value should be 11 (24-11=13).

I couldn't find the exact specs for the TC 2290, but it spec'd 100 dB dynamic range, so that should be between 16 bit (~96 dB) and 17 bit (~102 dB). The new default value of 8 would give 16 bit resolution or about 96 dB of dynamic range, so that's likely close enough.

Cliff & team,
I’m blown away with the tones in my AF3 Mk2, as of 24.04, which I was already loving! I played for hours last night, moving from preset to preset, and I’d only planned to play a few minutes. Every one of the presets I chose, were amazing, and some I previously saw as possible deletions.

Thank you for everything you and the team do!
Great respect,
Lee

From what I could dig up online, it looks like the SDD-3000 used proprietary 13 bit audio conversion, so the Bit Reduction value should be 11 (24-11=13).

I couldn't find the exact specs for the TC 2290, but it spec'd 100 dB dynamic range, so that should be between 16 bit (~96 dB) and 17 bit (~102 dB). The new default value of 8 would give 16 bit resolution or about 96 dB of dynamic range, so that's likely close enough.
Thank you 🙏

The whole point of the Vintage Digital type is the artifacts. It's modeling an early, primitive digital delay w/ an 8-bit converter.
The 2290 used Dynamic Differential Conversion at a very high 1MHz sample rate, which I understand to mean that the bit depth actually constantly varied according to the input level.

From 2290-apn.01:

"...As we see it, quality is not a limited bits liniar converter giving heavily rising distortion as the delicate levels in music are reached.. ...The TC 2290 dynamic difference converter dynamically adjusts its resolution to low levels, high levels or whatever to obtain a very high resolution of details..."

I presume that such variation is difficult to model, so a fixed average has been used in the AF3?

The 2290 used Dynamic Differential Conversion at a very high 1MHz sample rate, which I understand to mean that the bit depth actually constantly varied according to the input level.

From 2290-apn.01:

"...As we see it, quality is not a limited bits liniar converter giving heavily rising distortion as the delicate levels in music are reached.. ...The TC 2290 dynamic difference converter dynamically adjusts its resolution to low levels, high levels or whatever to obtain a very high resolution of details..."

I presume that such variation is difficult to model, so a fixed average has been used in the AF3?
Vintage Digital is not a 2290 model.

I guess the Vintage Digital Delay is modeled after 70’s digital delay architecure. At least my Ibanez DDL (8-bit) does not degrade as much as the model does, but that’s made around 1985, which is 14 years after the first digital delay units are created.

Found this sound sample of a mid 70’s digital delay unit:

Last edited:
I guess the Vintage Digital Delay is modeled after mid 70’s digital delay architecure. At least my Ibanez DDL (8-bit) does not degrade as much as the model does, but that’s made around 1985, which is 14 years after the first digital delay units are created.

Found this sound sample of a mid 70’s digital delay unit:

The amount of degradation is adjustable. Simply adjust the Bit Reduction to get the desired amount. It's not complicated.

The amount of degradation is adjustable. Simply adjust the Bit Reduction to get the desired amount. It's not complicated.
I know, just trying to figure out which delay type is most true to my pedal and was confused because I wasn’t sure what the Vintage Digital Delay actually was. My DDL is really close with Bit Reduction set to 13 and high cut set to 5kHz, no matter if the bit depth is right or not.

Outstanding update!!! Ive got to say that while I loved the D60 series I, I am REALLY liking this series II and prefer it to the first model. Both Recto models have gained a certain something I'm loving a lot too.

We are so spoiled! Thanks Cliff, your pursuit of perfection is a point of pride and joy in ownership of my AxeFx's. I still really can't believe how amazing we have it. To think I had easily half a ton of amplifiers and cabs....nice ones, racks of gear, and I look back on those days and just laugh as I fire up my AxeFx and choose from a fever dream full of top shelf everything, and it all sounds incredible!!

With @GlennO and his recording guide, the studio has never been a more efficient and pleasurable experience.

Life changing piece of gear, man. "Thanks" doesn't even begin to cover it. Love ya Cliff & Co!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom