Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release

The level were extremely low before on that model. Turn down the output level on the amp until it stops clipping.

The poweramp section is being hit harder. Try setting gain to ~4 . Set the master down to 5 or a bit lower, gain down. It is also getting a huge boost from the NFB compensation. You either turn the level way down or turn off NFB Compensation. I would have compare my jp mkii+ to see if it is in the ball park of the Axe-fx. It was not in the previous version levels were way lower on the axe-fx previously.
Great advice here. Lowering the Gain to 4, the Master to 4, and level to -18 in the factory preset was a quick fix. Thanks to everyone that offered assistance.

Last edited:
^so much this!^

In my case it was selling high-end audio gear, and friends gush about how albums sound so much better on vinyl. They should try those new-fangled 8-tracks. :)
People really haven't lived until they've had to compensate for an incoming reel of tape recorded on a poorly aligned analog tape machine.

Also the tedium of calibrating dbx type II noise reduction units was real fun... not.

Cleaning tape heads after every hour of run time when using Ampex 499 tape because it used to shed so badly was another maintenance chore that I don't miss.

If it's vocal timbre, I'll take Swift over Waits in a heartbeat. His hobo, pitchy delivery grates on me like nails on a chalkboard. I thought his voice was the emperor's new clothes when a friend raved about him and played 3 albums for me.
Yeah, his voice has always been like hearing a hardened bar-patron who has had too many years of smoking cigarettes, and it hasn't improved over the years, but dang, can he write lyrics! One of my favorite albums of his is the live "The Heart of Saturday Night", which I got to see. He was spot-on in his performance, and the intros to the songs were poignant and funny. He's definitely a character.

PS - Heh… now if Taylor Swift would sing with his voice and dress like she'd woken in an alley after a cold rain then she'd be onto something. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, his voice has always been like hearing a hardened bar-patron who has had too many years of smoking cigarettes, and it hasn't improved over the years, but dang, can he write lyrics! One of my favorite albums of his is the live "The Heart of Saturday Night", which I got to see. He was spot-on in his performance, and the intros to the songs were poignant and funny. He's definitely a character.

To me, Waits is like Bob Dylan- gifted lyricist and songwriter that I do not want to hear perform their own songs.

I have abused my ears listening in the studio at one point to a lot of things that no human should ever be exposed to for hours on end.

If I could give my ears and sanity a respite from time to time, then I try to be kind to myself.

Wow sorry i never listened to Tom Waits my whole life, but in this video it sound like a drunk homeless singing a nick cave song 🤣
Beautiful, isnt it?

tom waits GIF

Working really hard is really important in life, but art is not pure work ethic.

I'll go listen to Persistence of Time by Anthrax. They were writing their own songs, playing their assess off, expressing brutally heart felt emotions, and they were cool, real people I could believe. Incidentally, when I hear that album it moves me and inspires me to this day. I respect who those guys were, and because that's where my heart is, I don't have the capacity to give a damn about Taylor Swift.

Back
Top Bottom