Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release

I'm noticing that the Plexi 100W 1970 model is significantly brighter, and not in a pleasant way. I went back to a previous firmware and then back to 23.05 and it was night and day. I tried resetting the amp block as well, and didn't notice this with any of the other Plexi models. Is anyone else a frequent user of this amp who could also see if it sounds right?

Oooh, now I REALLY can't wait for the new goodiez to get down to FM9-land. :)

Man, that really cleans up nice with the split and lighter attack. The DGT sounds like I'm eventually going to have to get one, too. :D
Local shop has a DGT. I was expecting to be blown away since it seems everyone else loves them and I love what come out of it when everyone plays it. However, this particular one didn’t speak to me when I played it. I have a 2019 Custom 24-08 (my first PRS ever), a 2022 McCarty 594, and just recently a 2023 McCarty 594 Singlecut. All of them just sing to me and I can’t stand to put them down!

Edit: I do still think I want a DGT eventually but it has moved down my list.

Last edited:
I'm noticing that the Plexi 100W 1970 model is significantly brighter, and not in a pleasant way. I went back to a previous firmware and then back to 23.05 and it was night and day. I tried resetting the amp block as well, and didn't notice this with any of the other Plexi models. Is anyone else a frequent user of this amp who could also see if it sounds right?
the tone stack was incorrect on the 1970 I believe and it was fixed to be accurate now , probably turn down the pres and treble

That was changed in 23.03:
"Fixed wrong default tonestack in 1959SLP and Plexi 100W 1970 models."

If you want the old sound choose the "PLEXI 100W" tone stack.

Today I Learned that 65% is an overwhelming majority
Taking a poll doesn’t mean that the majority wins. The poll is simply a data point. The funny thing about polling (surveys are just polls), is that you get some passionate responses, some general responses, and some obedient responses. None of them necessarily reflect reality.

If Einstein had taken a poll, it wouldn’t have pointed him toward General Relativity. Opinion and fact can be the same or different. The former doesn’t predict the latter, or vice versa.

Taking a poll doesn’t mean that the majority wins. The poll is simply a data point. The funny thing about polling (surveys are just polls), is that you get some passionate responses, some general responses, and some obedient responses. None of them necessarily reflect reality.

If Einstein had taken a poll, it wouldn’t have pointed him toward General Relativity. Opinion and fact can be the same or different. The former doesn’t predict the latter, or vice versa.
You lost me at Einstein.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p05.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Changed Presence control taper on all 6160 and 5153 amp models to replicate the actual amp. It is advised to audition any presets that use these models and adjust accordingly.

Due to the improved triode algorithm introduced in 23.00 many amps have had their preamp bias points updated. Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.

Improved Gapless Switching performance.

Fixed Output 1 Configuration being overwritten by Output 2-4 configuration.

Fixed several mistakes in 5153 Stealth models. If using these models it is recommended to do a soft-reset of the model by deselecting and reselecting the type.

Fixed Sene MIDI GUI not updating correctly when changing scenes via front panel.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Have you given any thought to having an adjustment on the red channel based upon the blue channel’s gain pot setting?

I'm noticing that the Plexi 100W 1970 model is significantly brighter, and not in a pleasant way.
Oh man, whatever was fixed in the 5153 models absolutely ruined the Stealth for me 😭 it's soo much more woolier and mushy than it used to be.
NGL, hard not to feel super frustrated right now. My two favorite amp models got changes that make it much harder for me to dial in my sound

It's starting to be very clear to me that people don't like when things change even if it's closer and more authentic to the real amp.

It's starting to be very clear to me that people don't like when things change even if it's closer and more authentic to the real amp.
I think it is more people are afraid of change when it means they have to find that sweet spot where they had it dialed right where wanted it. However, I’m with you, if the improvements bring the models closer to the real thing then it’s worth a little time to find your sound again!

Have you given any thought to having an adjustment on the red channel based upon the blue channel’s gain pot setting?
IMO , that would not be that easy to do you would need another knob with full sweep that I think would be confusing, basically if you put the blue on 10 its acting as a boost , it would likely be easier just to turn on the Amp input boost set to clean , if Cliff already modelled it at 5 , throwing on the boost could simulate that OR turning up the input trim on the red channel

IMO , that would not be that easy to do you would need another knob with full sweep that I think would be confusing, basically if you put the blue on 10 its acting as a boost , it would likely be easier just to turn on the Amp input boost set to clean , if Cliff already modelled it at 5 , throwing on the boost could simulate that OR turning up the input trim on the red channel
It wouldn't be the first amp model to have two gain pots. The Mark series, Fryette stuff, any jumped plexi models with normal and bright gain, etc.

That said, I don't know if the way they interact is easily mappable to something like the two plexi gain pots or would need to be a unique implementation.

I'd also be curious if someone could give a nice technical explanation about exactly what changes with the pot interaction (maybe Cliff or James Freeman) so we know if it's easily achievable in the ways you suggested, or it's own thing.

My 50W Stealth doesn't do it, so I haven't actually experimented with it before to see what it really changes.

Back
Top Bottom