Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

The Red channel is the same as the OG 5153.

You probably already know this, but just in case... in the 100w Stealth, the Blue channel's Gain control significantly impacts the overall gain character of the Red channel. You can hear the Red channel change in real time as you adjust the Blue channel's Gain pot. This occurs in both the 6L6 and EL34 versions of the EVH 100w Stealth.

I'm not sure this is the case with the OG 5150 III.

edit: oh the new amp model is the 50w Stealth Blue. I have no idea what is different between the Blue or Red channels of the 50w 6L6 and 50w Stealth. I don't think the same "Blue Gain impacts the Red Channel" trick works with the 50w Stealth.

Last edited:
PSA on the NFB Compensation:

The NFB Compensation default of 'ON' doesn't seem to automatically apply to Global Amp blocks. In each of the 5 Global Amp blocks I use, the NFB Compensation was set to 'OFF'. Any preset that didn't have a Global Amp block, the NFB Compensation was set to 'ON'.

Edit: It appears that if wanting to turn the NFB Compensation 'ON' in a Global block, it needs to be set in each channel.

Last edited:

The NFB Compensation default of 'ON' doesn't seem to automatically apply to Global Amp blocks. In each of the 5 Global Amp blocks I use, the NFB Compensation was set to 'OFF'. Any preset that didn't have a Global Amp block, the NFB Compensation was set to 'ON'.

Can post a screenshot where you are seeing this on and off switch ? thanks much

Edit: It appears that if wanting to turn the NFB Compensation 'ON' in a Global block, it needs to be set in each channel.
Of course, because each channel has that setting... No different than multiple channels on any effect block.

I don't know much about the EVH amps. From what I've gleaned, the Stealth is based on mods that Eddie Van Halen had on his personal amp for the last tour he was on. One forum reviewer wrote that the blue channel is really where you hear a difference, that there are more low mids in the Stealth. But I'm sure others will have a much better answer.

According to Howard Kaplan at EVH, the Stealth 100w's Blue channel has a lot more gain than the OG 5150 III as it had the 1st gain stage of the Red channel routed into the circuit. I'm not sure if it replaced a gain stage or simply added to them, but that's the main difference in the OG vs Stealth Blue channels as far as I'm aware.

Also, the Stealth 100w amps have independent Resonance controls for each channel, where the OG 5150 III only had an internally fixed Resonance value the user was unable to adjust.

I took a deep dive over this holiday weekend (here in the US anyway) cleaning up presets and creating a few more etc...
Inspired after seeing Sunny Day Real Estate recently and Alex Lifeson's Gift of Tone.
so blown away by the AXE III MK II Turbo.

Thank you for the new firmware sire!
More 'Hipower' to ya!.

According to Howard Kaplan at EVH, the Stealth 100w's Blue channel has a lot more gain than the OG 5150 III as it had the 1st gain stage of the Red channel routed into the circuit. I'm not sure if it replaced a gain stage or simply added to them, but that's the main difference in the OG vs Stealth Blue channels as far as I'm aware.

Also, the Stealth 100w amps have independent Resonance controls for each channel, where the OG 5150 III only had an internally fixed Resonance value the user was unable to adjust.
I think the mids are in a bit of a different place , more low mid bogneresque as opposed to the upper mid focus like an SLO in the OG

Last edited:
In theory, turning NFB Compensation Off should make all amp models have their real world electrical volume when output level set to 0.0dB, if there is no additional internal compensation between the models that is.

ie. The 1969 100W Plexi model will have the same volume as the 1970 100W Plexi with Compensation Off, this is exactly what I want and expect from an accurate modeler.

In wother words, the same amp with very different NFB values should NOT change volume when the Master Volume is cranked because the NFB loop is broken, this how real tube amps behave.

This is a big deal for me.
Thank you again for adding this.

Back
Top Bottom